House Price Crash Forum
bumpy

Help Please On Uk Inflation

I'm trying to do some graphs showing how house prices respond to high inflation.

I have found an excellent spread sheet with quarterly house price inflation back to 1952, but I cant find an Excel spreadsheet of UK quarterly inflation over the period 1952 (approx) to date.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I'm trying to do some graphs showing how house prices respond to high inflation.

I have found an excellent spread sheet with quarterly house price inflation back to 1952, but I cant find an Excel spreadsheet of UK quarterly inflation over the period 1952 (approx) to date.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

http://www.wolfbane.com/rpi.htm

A couple of points to note on that would be 1920 - reduction in silver from 92.5 to 50%, 1948 - removal of silver from UK coinage.

The real killer seems to have been some other metallic related removal in the early 70s though. I wish we did have Nixons head in a jar, we could use it as a football. :angry:

A couple of points to note on that would be 1920 - reduction in silver from 92.5 to 50%, 1948 - removal of silver from UK coinage.

The real killer seems to have been some other metallic related removal in the early 70s though. I wish we did have Nixons head in a jar, we could use it as a football. :angry:

Have you posted on the wrong thread?

Have you posted on the wrong thread?

What do you think may have been responsible for the insane increase in the rate of inflation from the early 70s?.

I've got monthly RPI back to 1949 and CPI back to 1989 if that's any good to you. If so get your pm switched on and I'll send it across.

Thanks, I would really appreciate that :)

Being new, there are some restrictions on e mail. If it doesn't work, I'm on chris.valder'at' tiscali.co.uk

How important is inflation to this government? - i think its an important question to ask and something the media haven't really picked up on. Does Osborne know what inflation and its affects are?

I ask this because i am sure Mervin King will be pressured by Osborne... in determining what is important... economic growth or inflation.

Personally for long term sustainability, i believe controlling inflation has to be key....

All i see is cuts cuts cuts...

Shows Maggie was right that inflation can be controlled by Interest rates. Compare this to rates:

Low rates = high inflation

A bit of history; Inflation before Maggie was controlled by controlling wages which she was opposed to. For businesses this was great as a warehouse worker was only entitles to a certain wage. She said it could be controlled using interest rates, thus the huge rises when we had hyper inflation.

Shows Maggie was right that inflation can be controlled by Interest rates. Compare this to rates:

Low rates = high inflation

A bit of history; Inflation before Maggie was controlled by controlling wages which she was opposed to. For businesses this was great as a warehouse worker was only entitles to a certain wage. She said it could be controlled using interest rates, thus the huge rises when we had hyper inflation.

rpi.gif

she clearly did a wonderful job of it, she was pm in the 50s wasnt she?

she clearly did a wonderful job of it, she was pm in the 50s wasnt she?

The weather is a-changin' the storms be shakin

The love that you take is equal to the love you're makin

Here comes the sun little darlin here comes the sun

It's alright

Yes tricky kid i check my situation

Maggie this Maggie that Maggie means inflation

(from Daydreaming)

The weather is a-changin' the storms be shakin

The love that you take is equal to the love you're makin

Here comes the sun little darlin here comes the sun

It's alright

Yes tricky kid i check my situation

Maggie this Maggie that Maggie means inflation

(from Daydreaming)

itd be interesting to see the relative strength plotted against that graph, i bet theres a super kick off divergence against that end part

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

My graphing skills aren't up to overlaying house prices and inflation in a single chart, but I keep this one updated from the ONS average earnings index to show wage inflation. The right edge of the chart is a little misleading due to the delay in earnings data compared to hpi indexes. The earnings data is generally revised for the previous month as well.

The multipliers are based on the SA earnings figures for smoothness.

HPI vs Earnings.JPG

I'd love to see the effect of high core inflation combined with low wage inflation on house prices.

post-7727-12841929154796_thumb.jpg

My graphing skills aren't up to overlaying house prices and inflation in a single chart, but I keep this one updated from the ONS average earnings index to show wage inflation. The right edge of the chart is a little misleading due to the delay in earnings data compared to hpi indexes. The earnings data is generally revised for the previous month as well.

The multipliers are based on the SA earnings figures for smoothness.

HPI vs Earnings.JPG

I'd love to see the effect of high core inflation combined with low wage inflation on house prices.

Nice graph. It shows we need a 25% drop in house prices just to cross the 4xsalary line. I think it very unlikely that salaries will increase, if at all, for quite a while.

I think it very unlikely that salaries will increase, if at all, for quite a while.

I agree, but I'm keeping a close eye on it all the same. Hence why I'd like to see the effect on HPI of high inflation but low wage inflation; I'm guessing this is where we're heading (although spikes in earnings like earlier this year tend to cause me some concern ;) )