House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Hampshire Police Plans To Cut 1,400 Jobs

Most of this will be retirement without recruitment of cadets...nothing to see here

Well there was this crazy idea floating around that police should do a 1 year unpaid internship to get the right to become police wasn't there?

Seems a bit shadowrun to me, much like accountants* Whereby the Lonestar police force in the shadowrun universe are for profit police officers.

*Accountants in their initial training are poorly treated and paid badly too, therefore many of them go nuts and turn into sociopaths. They get into a management position and much like abusers start to abuse those under them too. They do this to maximise their gains to make up for the years of being underpaid.

Good thing too.

Hampshire police are overstaffed. How else could they afford the manpower to have a trio of bobbies with speed traps hiding behind every bush beside a dual carriageway with an inappropriate 30MPH speed limit.

The actual news is slightly different. The Chief Constable calculates that if the cuts of 25% are implemented across the police forces the consequences for his force would be cutting 1400 jobs.

This is slightly different to '1400 jobs are going'.

Edited by juvenal

The actual news is slightly different. The Chief Constable calculates that if the cuts of 25% are implemented across the police forces the consequences for for his force would be 1400 jobs.

This is slightly different to '1400 jobs going'.

Shame.

Good thing too.

Hampshire police are overstaffed. How else could they afford the manpower to have a trio of bobbies with speed traps hiding behind every bush beside a dual carriageway with an inappropriate 30MPH speed limit.

Quite right

One of the pleasant side effects of these austerity measures is that plenty of anti-motorist stuff will come to and end by default, not by, for instance, ripping out speed cameras, but just a lack of money to re-fill them with film or hide in bushes

Relics of the New Labour era like those traffic officers (you know, the fat blokes eating donuts in imitation police cars who shut motorways when rabbits get run over) will hopefully at least reduce in number, if not disappear completely

Edited by pete.hpc

Quite right

One of the pleasant side effects of these austerity measures is that plenty of anti-motorist stuff will come to and end by default, not by, for instance, ripping out speed cameras, but just a lack of money to re-fill them with film or hide in bushes

Relics of the New Labour era like those traffic officers (you know, the fat blokes eating donuts in imitation police cars who shut motorways when rabbits get run over) will hopefully at least reduce in number, if not disappear completely

And those PCSOs. One of whom stopped me in a car park and ordered me to put my seat belt on, I was doing all of 5MPH :rolleyes:.

Hampshire has a population of 1.7m and Hampshire Constabulary employs 6,700 staff. That's one per 253 of the population. That seems like an awful lot of policing. It's enough for them to have somebody follow each member of the public around for one full day each year. Actually, I shouldn't give them ideas.

How else could they afford the manpower to have a trio of bobbies with speed traps hiding behind every bush beside a dual carriageway with an inappropriate 30MPH speed limit.

Well, handing out fines left right and centre is how they can afford it. I expect to see (and am already seeing) an increase in the war on the motorist, they need the money.

The income producers will be the last to go.

Well, handing out fines left right and centre is how they can afford it. I expect to see (and am already seeing) an increase in the war on the motorist, they need the money.

The income producers will be the last to go.

It has to stop though or they'll just increase the number of otherwise law abiding citizens who a few years ago would have supported them through thick and thin and now wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Quite right

Countered by the unpleasant side effects of a mounting death toll to pedestrians, and cyclists and so on. The problem with many motorists is that they seem "anti" anything else on the road.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Countered by the unpleasant side effects of a mounting death toll to pedestrians, and cyclists and so on.

When they're after revenue they avoid areas where pedestrians are and target roads with stupidly low speed limits.

On a road with lots of pedestrians, an experienced driver might drive at 20MPH if it seemed appropriate for the conditions, but on a clear urban dual carriageway one could drive at 50MPH+, but both of these roads can have 30MPH limits and guess which one has the bobbies in bushes :rolleyes:

Countered by the unpleasant side effects of a mounting death toll to pedestrians, and cyclists and so on. The problem with many motorists is that they seem "anti" anything else on the road.

This is b*ll*x!! Cyclists are by far the least law-abiding road users. They are far more likely to run red lights than motorists; and far more likely to use footpaths and menace pedestrians. Also they seem to think pedestrians will give way to them on zebra and pelican crossings. I have seen several over-handlebar events when I exercised my right of way in these circumstances.

Yes, because without constant supervision we will become speeding, pavement mounting lunatics :rolleyes:

The problem with all these figures being bandied about is that it is impossible to get a clear picture from them. One of the BBC reports refers to front - line officers, the other refers to the total workforce.

What you never see in any of these reports is what is intended to be done about the meaningless jobs such as diversity officers, inclusivity consultants, equality managers, and all the rest of the left-wing claptrap. And what about The National Black Police Association ? It's website states that it is a charity, but who funds it? And what about ACPO ? - what is that for, and how is it funded?

I fear that with all the forthcoming cuts we may lose a lot of things that matter and keep a lot of things that don't.

Hampshire has a population of 1.7m and Hampshire Constabulary employs 6,700 staff. That's one per 253 of the population. That seems like an awful lot of policing. It's enough for them to have somebody follow each member of the public around for one full day each year. Actually, I shouldn't give them ideas.

you've not been to Portsmouth, have you?

Yes, because without constant supervision we will become speeding, pavement mounting lunatics :rolleyes:

Most motorists seem to think that pavements are now merely convenient places to park these days....