House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

workhou

Starting A Website Business

Hi

I want to start a transactional internet business, I'm not techie but I need a good web server site/good web hosting company and a place to register the domain name. I read I might need to buy a new PC to run the site on?

Any advice from the internet pros that frequent this site would be great.

Hi

I want to start a transactional internet business, I'm not techie but I need a good web server site/good web hosting company and a place to register the domain name. I read I might need to buy a new PC to run the site on?

What do you intend to sell?

Hi

You certainly don't need to buy a PC to run the site, there are thousands of hosting companies which will take all the risks of doing this for you.

It really depends on your budget and the visitor numbers. How much research have you done as taking payments on the internet is seriously expensive, as with every thing else in life the banks have you over a barrel and make you pay through the nose. It's normally some sort of fixed monthly fee and then a percentage on top.

If you are taking payments you will need SSL so use that when you search for hosting.

I can see this thread generating the usual Mexican stand off, you won't want to let on what the idea is so we won't be able to give specific advice.

I can see this thread generating the usual Mexican stand off, you won't want to let on what the idea is so we won't be able to give specific advice.

Yes, that was my first thought.

Usually have some non-techies who believe they have got the World's best internet idea to make money but then want people experienced in the field of ecommerce to give them all the technical info for free, and usually in five minutes, so they can go off and make a fortune.

I have lost count of the times I have advised people on setting up such sites without being told whatthey intend to - I don;t bother anymore - and always the idea was naff or had already been done and done well.

To the OP, you really need to give us some idea of what you intend to do do, sell, etc, if you want the answers to your first post.

Yes, that was my first thought.

Usually have some non-techies who believe they have got the World's best internet idea to make money but then want people experienced in the field of ecommerce to give them all the technical info for free, and usually in five minutes, so they can go off and make a fortune.

I have lost count of the times I have advised people on setting up such sites without being told whatthey intend to - I don;t bother anymore - and always the idea was naff or had already been done and done well.

To the OP, you really need to give us some idea of what you intend to do do, sell, etc, if you want the answers to your first post.

Apologies guys and thanks for your input so far. I done some reading on programming languages, internet marketing and I realize what I want to do is a serious undertaking, for me at least on the techie side.

Specifically, I want to register the business in the UK and run it abroad from Seoul where I live. How difficult is this? It's for a market in South Korea. Possible?

Essentially its a service business using 'forms' which allows Koreans to buy and sell things amongst themselves.

The revenue I hope will be generated from advertising revenue initially and possibly through registering users, once I start getting hits. I thought of using Pay pal maybe for the commerce, (thanks for the info about the banks.) Is this viable?

Apologies guys and thanks for your input so far. I done some reading on programming languages, internet marketing and I realize what I want to do is a serious undertaking, for me at least on the techie side.

Specifically, I want to register the business in the UK and run it abroad from Seoul where I live. How difficult is this? It's for a market in South Korea. Possible?

Essentially its a service business using 'forms' which allows Koreans to buy and sell things amongst themselves.

The revenue I hope will be generated from advertising revenue initially and possibly through registering users, once I start getting hits. I thought of using Pay pal maybe for the commerce, (thanks for the info about the banks.) Is this viable?

you should ask the korean at askakorean.blogspot.com if it will work.

I have doubts it would though as Korea is uber uber consumerist where new = good, old = not so good, (even applies to GFs) now if you sold some sort of star craft upgrade, or those knives women carry to kill themselves should they ever have premarital sex you might be onto a winner.

you should ask the korean at askakorean.blogspot.com if it will work.

I have doubts it would though as Korea is uber uber consumerist where new = good, old = not so good, (even applies to GFs) now if you sold some sort of star craft upgrade, or those knives women carry to kill themselves should they ever have premarital sex you might be onto a winner.

Ha! Brilliant.

Hi

Plenty of domain name registrars about. 123-REG, Heart Internet, Namesco, GoDaddy and so on. Just do a google search for "domain names." Then you need a web hosting company to host your site. No shortage of those either. If you are not fussed where your site is hosted, Hostgator (US) are pretty cheap and reliable. If you are targetting the UK market you might want a UK based host.

You state you will be running a transactional site. I assume this means taking credit card payments. Well to some extent it will depend on your payment provider. If you are using someone like Paypal they they will be storing all the cc data. If you plan to do your own processing then you will need some form of "secure hosting" with your own IP address, and SSL certificate and so and some means of encrypting the date between you and the web server (which is why I recommend a third party payment provider).

To start with a shared hosting account might do, though as your site expands you might want more control, resilience and resources. You don't need to host your site on your PC. You might need to build your site on a PC using Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expressions before uploading it.

Alternatively you could use a CMS (content management system) such as Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal to build your web site. Hope this helps and good luck!

Plenty of domain name registrars about. 123-REG, Heart Internet, Namesco, GoDaddy and so on. Just do a google search for "domain names." Then you need a web hosting company to host your site. No shortage of those either. If you are not fussed where your site is hosted, Hostgator (US) are pretty cheap and reliable. If you are targetting the UK market you might want a UK based host.

You state you will be running a transactional site. I assume this means taking credit card payments. Well to some extent it will depend on your payment provider. If you are using someone like Paypal they they will be storing all the cc data. If you plan to do your own processing then you will need some form of "secure hosting" with your own IP address, and SSL certificate and so and some means of encrypting the date between you and the web server (which is why I recommend a third party payment provider).

To start with a shared hosting account might do, though as your site expands you might want more control, resilience and resources. You don't need to host your site on your PC. You might need to build your site on a PC using Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expressions before uploading it.

Alternatively you could use a CMS (content management system) such as Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal to build your web site. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks so much.

Possible yes, but I would imagine you would run in to all sorts of problems particularly if there were financial transactions involved. In other words a UK bank wouldn't be keen on business taking place in Korea and I'm sure Korean banks wouldn't be too keen on transactions taking place on a UK server.

Hi

I commend your enthusiasm.

This, and the other thread about having a 'plan B' incase your job goes, are very interesting...... I'm acutely aware of how 'knife edge' engineering/IT/knowledge jobs are...

Tonight I sat down and brainstormed many ways of how to make money alongside my current job, with minimal effort.

Most effort is teaching guitar - still thinking seriously on this one, though.

Other idea is again linked to guitar (or my profession) - perhaps creating some sort of website/informative blog, explaining concepts clearly and injecting life into what I love. Although I'm technically minded I really would not want to learn javascript etc...... I would want to get a good site up and running and focus on the content (which would incluce blogs, tutorials, pics/vids and perhaps a forum). Don't want to be raped with respect to costs, either - I'm reading a few sites on 'how to make a website' and I reall think I'd be best off, as I said, getting a good one down using simple software packages and then focussing on the content. ANy tips - is this now a poor way of making money?

Is Expressions any good? FrontPage was truly shocking...

I've built a couple of sites with Joomla, and you can do almost anything with it...Its fairly straight forward, and you can add ecommerce modules, etc if you want to ...

http://extensions.joomla.org/

Well I took the risk and paid for a domain etc with 'go daddy. 'The 'etc' cost me a fair few pounds (I think this is where they make their money) a lot more than I expected but I'll probably need the bells and whistles sooner or later. The way I see it though if it goes tits up its money spent on learning so WTF.

I'm up to my eyeballs trying to integrate a database with the website amongst other things, when it's all up and running I'll post the link and you can have a butchers. Might be some time though. :unsure:

Do keep us informed!!

Come on, we need more! Does anybody actually make much money from websites?

Is there a good starters guide?

Are you better to learn all the coding or get a package and focus on the content?

Similarly, is there a good website I can refer to?

check out 'sitebuildit'. Also google keith garrow for good info on making money from a website. Im in the process of setting up a website but as mentioned above, im paying a designer and concentrating on content

Hi CHF - SO glad somebody replied to keep this going.... is your idea one you want to keep to yourself? I'm guessing probably so... please feel free to add more!!

I'll check out what you suggest, thanks! I'm wary of even attempting to get into this as it will take quite some time and money and the rewards could be very little. The idea of doing the coding etc does sort of appeal as I'm used to doing a bit of it in my normal job - but things can quickly become SO complex, so like you I would want to focus on the content.

webcreationuk is excellent. I have used them a couple times. Allow for an iterative build and design proces

quote name='workhou' date='10 September 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1284104657' post='2705085']

Hi

for the payment system you can link to a banks on line system.

Barclays is free to set up, costs about £30 per month plus the 2-3% fee.

good value if you are on a try out.

you can also take payments yourself with clients card details through the web interface.

Hi CHF - SO glad somebody replied to keep this going.... is your idea one you want to keep to yourself? I'm guessing probably so... please feel free to add more!!

I'll check out what you suggest, thanks! I'm wary of even attempting to get into this as it will take quite some time and money and the rewards could be very little. The idea of doing the coding etc does sort of appeal as I'm used to doing a bit of it in my normal job - but things can quickly become SO complex, so like you I would want to focus on the content.

OK GM, I'll keep it on the front page! Ive actually been wanting someone to start a similar thread.

I seem to be having similar issues to yourself, though not for one minute did the idea of coding come into my mind. However, like everything else I get involved in, I am attempting to understand enough to know what Im asking for.

I have very little idea for how to 'monetise' (theres a word Ive picked up you might like!) my site, or even if I want to. I am prepared though to put information up there to see what happens first. If anything does then I'll see where it goes.

As I said, because my idea would be content and technically heavy, I wanted to concentrate on this and leave graphics and website building to a pro. Fortunately a friend of mine does this and is affordable.

When thinking of SEO, I found this useful as you will need to know what you want (you may already know this bit)

www.seocopywriting.com/glossary

That Keithgarrow site I mentioned earlier is also easily readable and cuts to the chase.

As for taking payments. Bloo mentioned banks, but they seem rather expensive. I am currently looking at this company for the solution

www.securehosting.com

All im looking for now is perhaps some back end web development as I need to have some data input/interactivity going on. Think I will have to read another glossary so I know what im asking for! Something about PHP or something....

(by the way, I have no links with any of those companies above. Other companies are available)

Cheers, CHF!

I wish I had a friend who was good with the websites....... right now it's all just an idea. I'm very articulate and have an enthusiastic way about things so reckon I could get some really good content down. Just figuring out how much time/work/money would be involved versus other routes such as plain old investing, teaching guitar direct, that sort of thing. But definitely let's keep this thing going......

Can you make money from a website? That's a bit like asking 'Can you make money from a business?'

When people ask 'Can you make money from a website?' what they really mean, 'Is there some low-effort easy way to get extra cash or make a mint?' which there probably isn't.

I have a part time sideline and one of my sites Googles really well for my locality so I get loads of enquiries each week out of thin air. Actually as I'm part time it's either quit the day job or close the site as I have to blow off too many enquiries, which I don't think looks professional. Most of the work is word of mouth anyway. So as a very low cost 24/7 advert, a website can be incredible.

I got £1.33 yesterday from adsense on one website, which is about average, from about 650 hits. Sometimes it might be 800 hits and £0 or a strange flurry where you've made £3 a day. So after a typical month, while not huge sums, it's an 'income stream' of sorts. Now that it gets a little income there's more incentive to make it, say, a 5k hits a day site and beyond. Spam bloggers set up hundreds of sites with a page of basic info on a topic to plaster with ads. I can see that might work but unless you've got very cheap hosting or a free server to use it probably doesn't work.

Over the last few years people have tried to make 'city portal' type sites for our area. It's not a bad idea as no sites do really good events listings in one place and a site with magazine-quality restaurant and entertainment reviews would be a good idea. The trouble is, the attempts that have been made look like shoestring amateur bedroom efforts. The site might look professional but lack meaty content and it's still a case of 'build it and they will come', which of course they won't. I'd say you'd need a team, even just a team of mates, working on it and really get the word out - put a postcard though 50k letterboxes, have them in every cafe or bar, etc. - to get a critical mass of users quickly.

ok, we know that money can be made from websites. Thanks for that gem but its not exactly a question that was asked.

How, and the levels involved are more the thrust of this thread.

Thank you however for providingYour figures, tho they do seem discouraging to me.

If i can be more specific, what level of hits or referral system or number of 'members' say, would you need to make £50 per week, £500 per week etc