House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Which Uk National Newspaper Do You Read / Trust The Most?

Which paper do you usually read - either in paper form or online? I don't usually buy a paper, but for its online presence, I'm finding myself drawn to The Independent, but I do try and keep up with Charlie Brooker's column in The Guardian. I often visit the Daily Mail's site for comedy value..

I used to subscribe to the Times. When it was £4 it week it was a decent deal. Now its £6 I can't be arsed especially as its stopped me from spending more money when I'm collecting the paper in the corner shop.

I Think the rule with papers is to remember that it is biased and know what the bias is.

I presume this is including online content?

I don't 'trust' any of the papers as they have there own agenders, I try to read the same story from mutliple sources if it interests me.

That said, I like the 'funny' stories in the Sun and the Daily Mail is good for exposing the nanny state and general 'non-news' stories.

I read the other day the the DM website is by far and away the most popular!

Newspapers should be renamed Opinionpapers.

News happens. The reporting of news is always tarnished with opinion.

This is why I hate paying for the BBC so much.

[/quote

Probably would read any of them if I saw them lying around. As for trusting them, well, like everything when it comes to spin ,caveat emptor. Tend to buy different ones. As mentioned above DM good for exposing nanny state, Independent best for journalism. Sunday Times prob gives best bang for the buck in terms of reading material, but has got a bit top heavy on the lifestyle stuff. All papers probably good at hitting their niche market...i.e. Daily Express still trying to convince bulls that property has a future.

It's horses for courses and I think a healthy sense of detachment necessary. Of course you could always buy Arthur Scargill's favourite daily - The Morning Star>Still on the go I think. Has still got its website anyway.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Don't read any, don't trust any.

May sound a bit TFH but I don't care.

I read the internet Telegraph for the blogs

The comments posted are often more entertaining than the columnists

Ambrose is quite good though and I like James Delingpole, Gerald Warner and Jeff Randall. Most of the good bloggers don't appear in the print version.

I buy the print version for the cryptic crossword cos it's the only one I can do!

Generally, I treat everything I read in newspapers and the televised media with great scepticism.

Guest UK Debt Slave

I refuse to watch BBC televsion and I avoid their website like the plague

Yes. Very annoying to be paying a license to be lied to

Tittle-tattle, sleaze, opinionated nobodies spouting crap, sport and miscellaneous garbage.

Now that I can access the internet I've mostly given up on TV news as well, mostly very superficial and dumbed down.