House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NuBrit

Worst Area In N. Ireland

Drumbeg, Craigavon for me.

Thought of this as a topic while I was chatting to a relative of the wife the other day. She bought in the area in 2007 because it was the only place she could afford to buy in with her husband. Needless to say, they're deep in negative equity and couldn't sell the place if they wanted to. I went to visit them, kind of morbid curiosity because I've never actually had to go into the estates before.

What's so bad about it?

1. The PSNI officer who was shot dead last year lived in the area.

2. DOE workers were attacked earlier this year and their vehicles were burned out at the entrance to the estate. What sort of idiots attack workers trying to fix the roads?!

3. The place is filthy and not kept properly at all. A huge shame because the place would probably be a nice enough area if residents showed it any bit of respect.

4. If you live there for any period of time, you will get physically threatened (whether you're green or orange), robbed or have house/car vandalised or robbed.

The place makes my part of Portadown look like Malone Road.

Thought of this as a topic while I was chatting to a relative of the wife the other day. She bought in the area in 2007 because it was the only place she could afford to buy in with her husband. Needless to say, they're deep in negative equity and couldn't sell the place if they wanted to. I went to visit them, kind of morbid curiosity because I've never actually had to go into the estates before.

What's so bad about it?

2. DOE workers were attacked earlier this year and their vehicles were burned out at the entrance to the estate. What sort of idiots attack workers trying to fix the roads?!

3. The place is filthy and not kept properly at all. A huge shame because the place would probably be a nice enough area if residents showed it any bit of respect.

4. If you live there for any period of time, you will get physically threatened (whether you're green or orange), robbed or have house/car vandalised or robbed.

The place makes my part of Portadown look like Malone Road.

Bet you can find an EA to describe it as " An up and coming area"

What's so bad about it?

Sorry if I have got this wrong but surely he was working there when he was shot, he lived in Banbridge from memory.

Sorry if I have got this wrong but surely he was working there when he was shot, he lived in Banbridge from memory.

i thought he was just working there.

i thought that in the Police here they tend to keep you out of the area you live in

I'd have to agree about Craigavon- always try to give it a wide berth a nights. Its a shame though, remember watching a programme about the building of craiavon in 60/70s and people being thrown off land to develop it etc. Now the estates of houses are run down, just seem like they should be ripped down and started again.

Portrush! Can't stand the place!

1. Freezing

2. Crap shops

3. Ghost town in winter

4. Barrys 2p machines tack!

5. General - grey depressing windy feel.

6. Absolutely nothing to do but try to get out of it at any cost.

I really tried hard to give it another chance last year and stayed in a friends caravan, did the whole 'NI tourist' thing, but failed miserably.

Spent the night trying to get my screaming brats to sleep driving round in a caravan park at 2am in the morning, next day to the beach in freezing cold grey skies, sand blowing crapiness. Even the White house depresses me with the old people's clothing.........:rolleyes: Why do I hate it so much, people seem to love it, but defo is the worst place to live, why anyone would bother holidaying in the place is demonic!

I'd have to agree about Craigavon- always try to give it a wide berth a nights. Its a shame though, remember watching a programme about the building of craiavon in 60/70s and people being thrown off land to develop it etc. Now the estates of houses are run down, just seem like they should be ripped down and started again.

Many of them already have been ripped down and rebuilt. Doesn't change the fact that it's a soulless, depressing place that should never have been built. It's a testament to the failure of post-war modernist thinking on planning and architecture (although thankfully they didn't get round to building high-rise) as well as an unfortunate victim of the early years of the Troubles.

Erm............Larne ?

I have known the place for about 2 years. Doesn't get any better.

1. Freezing

2. Crap shops

3. Ghost town in winter

I really tried hard to give it another chance last year and stayed in a friends caravan, did the whole 'NI tourist' thing, but failed miserably.

Spent the night trying to get my screaming brats to sleep driving round in a caravan park at 2am in the morning, next day to the beach in freezing cold grey skies, sand blowing crapiness. Even the White house depresses me with the old people's clothing.........:rolleyes: Why do I hate it so much, people seem to love it, but defo is the worst place to live, why anyone would bother holidaying in the place is demonic!

I guess for many people it's about childhood memories that keeps an otherwise mundane seaside resort close to their heart. Many people might consider Margate a 'hole' (they may be right!) but for me the memories of 'bunking' into Bembon Brothers (now gone) and the various escapades had within are rose-tinted, similar to many peoples memories of Barry's I presume

edit - in answer to the question, 'worst place' - a few mono-culture housing estates spring to mind <_<

Edited by p.p.

It only gets worse.

Oh yeah, don't even start me about Larne! We bought our first house in Larne, I loved it for a while........ 6 months max (only ever loved the new build house) and then after 1 year, hubby was driving me home from the bus stop after work and I casually mentioned not to be alarmed but there is a 'for sale' sign in our front garden and er we are moving house!!!

1. The drive there and back along that cr@ppy road, getting stuck behind Tractors, lorries, learner drivers, buses - you name it , it went at 20 mile per hour with no chance of over-taking for miles.

2. The bus service to Belfast - if you enjoy being heavily pregnant and standing at the front of an ulster bus from Larne to Belfast with no one offering you a seat this is the bus for you. If you enjoy standing at a bus stop in Larne in the freezing rain when it rolls past you, not bothering to stop cause it's full up and you know your gonna be late for work - yippee bring it on!

3, The local football team - yes, I (by virtue of being a 'wag') had to stand in this crowd full of ****ers who shouted abuse at my hubby every time he got injured 'he's f'in useless anyway etc etc' as he lies curled up in a ball on the pitch with bones snapping in every direction.

4. The local town, ......... oh don't even start me about that place, I mean.......... I didn't mean to get onto a rant but I blame up Shipbuilder for bringing up Larne!!!!! ;););););););)

you got issues methink ;)

as for the Port...I used to live that neck of the woods so can't say anything other than I lost a fair few 2p's at Barrys :P

Oh yeah, don't even start me about Larne! We bought our first house in Larne, I loved it for a while........ 6 months max (only ever loved the new build house) and then after 1 year, hubby was driving me home from the bus stop after work and I casually mentioned not to be alarmed but there is a 'for sale' sign in our front garden and er we are moving house!!!

1. The drive there and back along that cr@ppy road, getting stuck behind Tractors, lorries, learner drivers, buses - you name it , it went at 20 mile per hour with no chance of over-taking for miles.

2. The bus service to Belfast - if you enjoy being heavily pregnant and standing at the front of an ulster bus from Larne to Belfast with no one offering you a seat this is the bus for you. If you enjoy standing at a bus stop in Larne in the freezing rain when it rolls past you, not bothering to stop cause it's full up and you know your gonna be late for work - yippee bring it on!

3, The local football team - yes, I (by virtue of being a 'wag') had to stand in this crowd full of ****ers who shouted abuse at my hubby every time he got injured 'he's f'in useless anyway etc etc' as he lies curled up in a ball on the pitch with bones snapping in every direction.

4. The local town, ......... oh don't even start me about that place, I mean.......... I didn't mean to get onto a rant but I blame up Shipbuilder for bringing up Larne!!!!! ;););););););)

Now technically I didn't bring it up.......but I too suffer the scars of Larne and I never even lived there.......thankfully that period of my life is behind me now.........I can only agree with the Lonely Planet guide, which has this to say - "As a major port for ferries from Scotland, Larne (Lutharna) is one of Northern Ireland’s main points of arrival. However, with its concrete overpasses and the huge chimneys of Ballylumford power station opposite the harbour, poor old Larne is a little lacking in the charm department. After a visit to the excellent tourist information centre, there’s no real reason to linger."

They're too kind. :P

1. Freezing

2. Crap shops

3. Ghost town in winter

I do agree with most of what you say, sophia. Though I have to say that my entire family love the area.

Portrush and Portstewart are both rundown and depressing. Though there are some excellent places to eat. The Ramore Wine Bar was voted peoples' favorite place to eat in a UTV survey. "On a nice day" my fiancee and I love walking along the beaches. If the sea is calm my dad, brother and me love to go sea fishing.

I would say, keep a careful eye on the weather and if it looks poor then make other plans. If the weather is bad then Portrush is a miserable place to be - especially with children.

Edited by Belfast Boy

I do agree with most of what you say, sophia. Though I have to say that my entire family love the area.

Portrush and Portstewart are both rundown and depressing. Though there are some excellent places to eat. The Ramore Wine Bar was voted peoples' favorite place to eat in a UTV survey. "On a nice day" my fiancee and I love walking along the beaches. If the sea is calm my dad, brother and me love to go sea fishing.

I would say, keep a careful eye on the weather and if it looks poor then make other plans. If the weather is bad then Portrush is a miserable place to be - especially with children.

Congrats on your engagement BB;) I'm quite keen on Portstewart, the kids had a great time at the big park there and the water shoot things! I used to go to Portrush when I was a child every Saturday to visit my gran and we were so bored, especially in the winter months. But, yes it does have some good places to eat and walk, if it had Spanish weather it would be beautiful I suppose!

How about this three bedroom house selling for £15,000?

http://www.daft.ie/1552483

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20050424/ai_n14599945/

THIS is the grim ghetto where posties fear to tread.

Royal Mail has pulled its staff from the run-down, crime-ridden housing estate because of roaming dogs, street debris, poor lighting and thugs.

Residents have now been without post for over a month and have to make their way to a sorting office a few miles away to collect their post.

Parts of Legahory in Craigavon, Co Armagh, have already been pulled down and hundreds of houses are derelict or bricked up.

Where there was once about 300 families on the estate, there are only about 25 occupied properties but the area is plagued by drug dealers and criminals.

Not even the worst area in N. Ireland, but all of the UK!