House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bradbury Robinson

House - The New Definition...

This morning's episode of 'To Buy or Not To Buy' featured a two bedroom 'house' in South West London, a snip at only £210k!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tr03c/To_Buy_or_Not_to_Buy_Series_10_Clapham/

(Skip to 29:00 onwards for the 'house'!)

I couldn't help but think when I was watching it that the jail wasn't the only thing they had failed to point out!

Was there another room other than the large front room and the tiny bedroom?

Do you mean it's a flat not a house? ;-/

Edited by SarahBell

The sad dismay in the voices of the young couple was tangible as they looked around these £200,000+ properties. They did a very fine job of putting a very brave face on it all.

And after their viewings what did they have to look forward to but a chat with two nutters showing them the "properties".

Edited by billybong

Was there another room other than the large front room and the tiny bedroom?

Do you mean it's a flat not a house? ;-/

I think 'flat' would be a little generous in these circumstances!

It's the upstairs of what used to be a house and split into two, possibly why the doors are so close together! When you add in your 'sun terrace' with access throught the bathroom you'd soon forget about that!

The sad dismay in the voices of the young couple was tangible as they looked around these £200,000+ properties. They did a very fine job of putting a very brave face on it all.

Just watching it now, they look like condemned criminals! Constantly trying to convince themselves that buying a £200k pigeonhole in Battersea is a good idea. And the presenters, as usual, bullying them into the worst financial decision they will ever make by implying that they are being unreasonable and unrealistic to expect more than a couple of rooms in a less than brilliant area for 10 years' take home pay (plus the little matter of 25 years' interest).

"few drinks on the balcony, maybe have breakfast out here" yeah right as long as someones not having a dump in the toilet! You'd be trapped on the balcony until they finished!

I'm so glad I don't live on London. That was a shit hole.

Those £220k Battersea flats are in a LA building! Why get a massive mortgage? Just pop out a sprog, get sacked and you can have one for free!

And after their viewings what did they have to look forward to but a chat with two nutters showing them the "properties".

The thing is if enough people are manipulated or indoctrinated into believing these types of properties are worth what people are asking for them a few might bite the bullet to their ultimate regret and downfall. ;)

"few drinks on the balcony, maybe have breakfast out here" yeah right as long as someones not having a dump in the toilet! You'd be trapped on the balcony until they finished!

I'm so glad I don't live on London. That was a shit hole.

lol - fantastic comment!! :)

Honestly, how did we get to this point?! 210k for that??! Oh yeh, Gordon the Clown as Chancellor and PM was not a nightmare, it was reality. I think I need another sleep ...

haha what a ******ing piss take, london really must have something rather amazing about it that i'm missing.

Really, I don't know what you lot are on about, £220k for that is fine...

...As long as the average UK wage is about £100k.

After catching TBONTB having breakfast I had the pleasure of Escape to the Country whilst eating my Chicken Balti this evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tr4kx/Escape_to_the_Country_Series_11_Cotswolds/

Usually on these shows the presenters are moaning about not having enough money to spend so what happens when a couple are struggling to spend £1m (ONE MILLION CASH) on a place in the Cotswolds? Yep, she shows them places outside of the Cotswolds for about £850k-£900k!

For some reason the wife in the show kept having these funny little turns every time she was shown a house or a different room!

I'll be glad when I'm back in work.

This country is in a helluva mess

It is, but I don't see how the fact that quite ordinary flats in London are expensive proves it. London property has always been expensive, despite the fact that the streets are of course not paved with gold.

Edited by scottbeard

Not entirely accurate. You haven't factored in the Alan Partridge post-dump pong alert: "I'd give it a few minutes if I were you".

Just watched the video from 29 mins - how sad. "Maybe we could get a single bed in there." Dude, there are plenty of single beds just up the road in Brixton prison.

Edited by okaycuckoo

Not entirely accurate. You haven't factored in the Alan Partridge post-dump pong alert: "I'd give it a few minutes if I were you".

Just watched the video from 29 mins - how sad. "Maybe we could get a single bed in there." Dude, there are plenty of single beds just up the road in Brixton prison.

Very true, and to think that usually less time is spent thinking about going ahead with such a crippling purchase, than that spent booking a summer hol.

Bad, mad and sad.

It is, but I don't see how the fact that quite ordinary flats in London are expensive proves it. London property has always been expensive, despite the fact that the streets are of course not paved with gold.

It was a once reasonable property converted into an uninhabitable dwelling, on any 'normal' criteria, in order to satisfy some speculators greed supported by access to easy credit, with the result that people actually now think it is nice as their expectations are now so low.

Edited by LiveinHope

This truly is a land fit for heroes.

labour-general-election-1945-poster.jpg

That awful gaunt look around the eyes of the poor female in the poster is an indication of the true state of the housing market that Labour managed to achieve under their regime through their slave debt housing policies. Yet trying to smile on through thick and thin.

Labour for homes - labour on to possibly afford a little flat, never has a double meaning rang so true.

Not that the current lot are likely to be much better.

Edited by billybong

According to the Land Registry, the average flat/maisonette in Lambeth (comparable to what they were looking at in this programme) sold for £60-odd k in the mid 90s. Yes, that was more expensive than the rest of the UK, as you could buy a whole house for that in most parts of the country. Now the grottiest, cheapest ex-LA flat in these areas is pushing a quarter of a million. While houses in the country as a whole went up to about 3x what they were in 1995, in areas like Lambeth they went up 4.75x. London isn't just a bubble, it's the queen vampire bubble which spawned all the others.

Think the banks were in trouble in 2008? Wait until London house prices fall 60-70% to where they should be, and all those new build flats fall 80-90%. It's going to be carnage!

According to the Land Registry, the average flat/maisonette in Lambeth (comparable to what they were looking at in this programme) sold for £60-odd k in the mid 90s. Yes, that was more expensive than the rest of the UK, as you could buy a whole house for that in most parts of the country. Now the grottiest, cheapest ex-LA flat in these areas is pushing a quarter of a million. While houses in the country as a whole went up to about 3x what they were in 1995, in areas like Lambeth they went up 4.75x. London isn't just a bubble, it's the queen vampire bubble which spawned all the others.

Think the banks were in trouble in 2008? Wait until London house prices fall 60-70% to where they should be, and all those new build flats fall 80-90%. It's going to be carnage!

Muppets who would pay that really shouldn't live in those areas. I had a mate who moved to Peckham and his endless complaints about the natives were funny.