House Price Crash Forum

Breaking News - Ir's Remain Unchanged At 0.5%

I think IRs are immaterial to house prices now - a rise would be wonderful news - as the coming public sector job losses will be a main driver IMPO in falling house prices.

Hi TMT,

Against other's objection, I suppose you can rephrase that as IR is not the only dominant factor that will be causing HPC now...

No, I am not kidding.

Yes, IRs back to where they 'should be' would collapse the housing market. But something else is now afoot - something new.

People are underestimating the Public Sector cuts to come because they have not happened - yet. By the end of Nov things will be much clearer.

Well I heard a bit from Nick Clegg on the Today program this morning where he was saying that any cuts would not be being brought in until next April.

Edited by pepsi

Well I heard a bit from Nick Clegg on the Today program this morning where he was saying that any cuts would not be being brought in until next April.

Did he say that? Interesting. In time for the new financial year and gives them several months to change the rules on redundancy payments and pensions rights for sacked workers.

I suppose it also allows them to hope that the rest of the economy picks up and they will not have to fire so many.

I still want to hear what plans they have to encourage the private sector.

Well, I have to hold my hand up and confess to saying 6 months ago that rates would rise twice by the end of the year. Barring a huge inflation increase or some real debate in the Bank's meeting minutes, that now looks distinctly unlikely. I'd be happy if we even got one increase.

I watch a documentary this morning and a Chinese guy (PhD) was saying that house prices in China will have to fall because of the demographic as there will be more houses than people.

Thats a lot of ******ing houses !!

I suppose it also allows them to hope that the rest of the economy picks up and they will not have to fire so many.

Indeed but another scenario is they're hoping/expecting another global crisis to emerge between now and April or at least soon afterwards so they can blame the consequences of their cuts on that new crisis - just like Gord "the mic" blamed everything he did on the global crisis.

Indeed but another scenario is they're hoping/expecting another global crisis to emerge between now and April or at least soon afterwards so they can blame the consequences of their cuts on that new crisis - just like Gord "the mic" blamed everything he did on the global crisis.

So, the hpc will have to wait till 2011 now? Let's hope they won't come up with a new bunch of quick fixes in 2011...

Not sure..

In my case, this stuff about SMI made me do some calculations.. and at current interest rates, were I made redundant, between Tax credits, SMI, my wife's job and various other bits and pieces, we wouldn't be that much worse off. Repossession would certainly not be on the cards.

As far as I can tell, you have to really work at it to get repo'd.

Yeah it does seem quite hard, I think you have to MEW then admit to spunking it so they won't pay the interest on your loan. I don't think you get SMI your wife is still in work though.