House Price Crash Forum
exiges

7 Million Live In Households Where No One Works

OK, so it's from the Daily Fail, but I think the numbers are still correct according to the ONS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310220/Seven-million-live-households-works.html#ixzz0yykDXN58

More than seven million people live in households where no-one works, according to shocking new figures released today.

Official figures revealed that almost four million households contain no-one who works – almost one-fifth of the total.

And in some parts of the country almost a quarter of all households are now workless. In the last year alone a further 148,000 households have joined the grim statistic.

Employment Minister Chris Grayling said the ‘shocking’ figures were an indictment of the last Labour Government’s failure to tackle welfare reform.

And the new data supports claims that the Labour government cultivated a 'Shameless' generation that have not held a job and are living long-term on benefits, like characters from the Channel 4 programme Shameless.

Since 1998 the number of workless households has soared by 22 per cent, with an extra 700,000 families joining the total.

Mr Grayling said: ‘These figures are a further indictment of how the current system is failing families and is a shocking reflection of the scale of worklessness across the UK that this Government has inherited.

"Some areas of Britain are suffering from intergenerational worklessness, which is why we must act now to ensure that children living in workless households are not left behind like their parents have been.’

The figures produced by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that there are now 3.9 million households, containing 5.4 million adults, in which no-one has a job.

They also reveal that 1.9 million children live in homes where no-one works – fuelling fears that the benefits culture will be passed from one generation to the next. In total, 7.3 million children and adults aged under 65 live in workless households.

Sources at the Department for Work and Pensions said the figures underlined the need to drive through reforms of the benefits system to make work pay and get people back into work.

All 2.6 million people on incapacity benefit are to undergo fresh medical tests to see if they are fit to work, with trials due to begin in Aberdeen and Burnley next month. Those assessed as being able to work would immediately be moved onto Jobseekers’ Alliance – cutting their benefits by more than £25 a week and requiring them to seek work immediately.

Ministers are also set to introduce a new 'Work Programme' next year which will force the jobless to make daily efforts to find work on risk losing their benefits. Private companies will be offered incentives to help get benefits claimants back into work.

Quite.

I look around me and see fat people. I see people with overpriced "designer" clothes on their backs. I see people drinking themselves to death, driving cars, going on holiday, watching 50" televisions.

I don't see a shortage of anything. I see over supply and over consumption.

My question is this - why is it received wisdom that these seven million people should be at work?

Edited by dom

Its pathetic. I got served by a slow lad (some sort of mental retardation) at the supermarket today. More of them collecting the trollies too. Did they obviously have problems, yes, did that impede on their abilities to do some form of paid work, absolutely not.

Yet theres countless fatties or depressed alcoholic morons sitting on their asses the government pays because theyre deemed 'disabled'

It is a bizarre state of affairs that we have so many people without jobs in a country where there aren't enough jobs - not by a long shot. Yet policies are pursued that push up the cost of living (housing costs) and make work unattractive (red tape, taxation - and punitive marginal taxation for those at the bottom); where we have allowed industries to be exported and not protected meaningful wealth producing jobs (industry) and have allowed unfettered immigration (an economic issue) that adds to the oversupply of labour and bears down on survivability in a high cost economy. Long sentence but you get the gist.

The country went wrong somewhere.

In time, our standards of living and aspirations will ratchet down, and we may start to become more competitive and start to make things again. It may take a generation or economic collapse.

How the Hell are we going to get people off benefits and the dole and into work

when almost every new job we create goes to EU economic migrants

This is the politics of the madhouse

How the Hell are we going to get people off benefits and the dole and into work

when almost every new job we create goes to EU economic migrants

This is the politics of the madhouse

Why does every job created go to migrants?

Is it because no UK worker will take them because they're better off on benefits?

Is it because no UK worker will take them because they're better off on benefits?

In my home town employment agencies bought up properties then bussed people direct from Poland to work in food processing plants - the jobs were never even advertised locally.

They then put 6-8 people in a terraced property and take the rent straight out of the wages so effectively people are working for far less than minimum wage.

Another scam - well known to the Revenue is that 80% of wages are paid as travel expenses and therefore not subject to tax.

The effect is that houses are now unaffordable and the rent on a terraced property is way above what a young couple could afford to pay when competition for jobs means many are on minimum wage.

Also migrant workers generally spend very little money in the local town centre so that dies

plus the council tax take plumments

And none of this is anything to do with racism - it is to do with economics and the effects of uncontrolled mass migration

The only solution is to leave the EU, but that is unlikely to happen before the damage is irreversible

:blink:

...that is the way Gordo and Nuliebour set it up ....we are paying the benefits by borrowing on the money markets....as we are broke ...remember the message left before the election by Liam Byrne Nulabours Secretary to the Treasury advising the coalition there was no money left...... :rolleyes:

Why is my English friend, who ran a bar for fifteen years being turned down for work in favour of immigrants? Just plain bar work, can't get a look in. He has no problems, is a cool guy.

Edited by Tonkers

I thought this was going to be a public sector non jobs thread.

If there really are so many non jobs in the public sector, some of which are relatively well paid, shouldn't the government be increasing the benefits made to the unemployed and ill? At the moment I would call this disparity discrimination.

He has no problems, is a cool guy.

The "company" does not want "cool" guys.

The "company" wants obedient workers, obedient workers, obedient workers.

Edited by Money Spinner

In time, our standards of living and aspirations will ratchet down, and we may start to become more competitive and start to make things again. It may take a generation or economic collapse.

Standards of living and aspirations have already been ratcheted down for the vast majority of people under 30. Go and talk to a few 28/29 year olds about their hopes for the future. I can almost guarantee you will be shocked. This generation has no chance of owning a home at current prices and many are staying with their parents as they can barely afford to pay rent. Youth unemployment is 20-30%, and would be much higher if it wasn't for the great number of young people taking pointless educational courses (largely self-funded with debt, of course). Most jobs for the young are unstable and it is normal to experience joblessness every few years, which eats away at savings. A typical shared house arrangement has an expected lifespan of 2-3 years at best, which adds to the general volatility of young people's lives and makes it near impossible to take on any sort of adult responsibility. Then to top it all off, young people are frequently blamed for their own predicament by the media and their elders, being told that if they would only knuckle down at work and save as hard as they could they would be able to achieve the kind of comfortable stability that was normal for their parents. That isn't true, but with no frame of reference most young people believe the line that they are failures, which breeds a kind of self-loathing mixed with helplessness and encourages escapism into a spiral of drink, consumerism, 'travelling', electronic entertainment, or anything else which will distract them from their situation for just a little while.

Edited by Dorkins

Starting next tax year, I might quite my job. Not to get benefits, but to deprive the state of my money. If enough did it, we could sort this sh*t out once and for all, and rather quickly..

Rot in hell scumbag

uk government t figures today are only 2.46 million unemployed.

Source www.statistics.gov.uk

So are these unemployed feckless people holding multiple houses? Or is the true unemployment figure much higher?

If it's much higher why lie? Who benefits?

So are these unemployed feckless people holding multiple houses? Or is the true unemployment figure much higher?

Students, Pensioners, Incapacity Benefits, Asylum, Single mums and people who don't claim benefits and and people under the age of 16. There are 29.02m people working in the uk, the remaining 32m don't work. Assuming an average 2.2 people per household that makes a total 27m households, 7m of them dont have anyone working in them. The question is 29m workers, 32m non workers, are any of the non workers not working because it is easier not to work... Edited by AteMoose

Things like economically inactive people are not considered, and there are millions of them, also it is a very rough figure. Since it only counts jobs not the quality of jobs or the pay of such jobs. Technically I have never been unemployed as I've worked part time jobs, left the country a few times to do short jobs which paid a bit more than my airfare.

But I am making significantly less than I made 18 months ago, but this still counts as employed.

It is a fiddle to make the statistics which are grim look better and to make politics out of it.

In my home town employment agencies bought up properties then bussed people direct from Poland to work in food processing plants - the jobs were never even advertised locally.

There is a reason for this. The Poles have a very good reputation. Not that all of them are prefect but most are very hard working. The fact they come over to the UK gives an indication of their desire to work. Poland I am sure also has it's fair share of lazy gets. I am sure all the British who head over to work in NZ/Oz as travellers get a pretty decent repuation too. They are over there and they need the money so they work bloody hard.

If you opened a factory, wanted the hardest working people you could, and your future depended on it ?

10 random British people or 10 Polish people who wanted to come over here to work ?

Poles all the way. Not saying it is right or wrong - just the reality of today.

2.46 million unemployed

The number of households containing at least one person aged 16 to 64 with no one in work in April to June 2010 was 3.9 million ... Of these households, over three-quarters, or 3.0 million, were workless because all individuals within them were inactive, which means they were either not looking for work or were not available for it.

ONS press release http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/worknr0910.pdf

So of the households containing at least one person aged 16 to 64 with no one in work, only 900,000 had people in them who would actually appear in the unemployment figures.

(For the same quarter, April to June 2010, the number of economically inactive people aged 16 to 64 in the UK was 9.35 million.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12)

Edit: spelling

Edited by Snugglybear