House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pole

Britain's Railways

Surely that's a good thing. Just like houses - the more expensive the better...

Britain's railways named as Europe's most expensive (guardian)

The rail regulator underlined the disparity by revealing that the owner of Britain's railway tracks and stations is up to 40% less efficient than European rivals including Germany, Ireland and Belgium.

The transport secretary, Philip Hammond, is considering higher-than-expected fare rises in January in an attempt to reduce taxpayers' annual £3.7bn subsidy for Network Rail.

"The cost of construction, civil engineering and labour rates is more expensive than in Europe. Whether it is building a bridge, a railway or a house, it is more expensive in the UK than elsewhere. There are wider questions to ask,"

Surely that's a good thing. Just like houses - the more expensive the better...

Britain's railways named as Europe's most expensive (guardian)

The rail regulator underlined the disparity by revealing that the owner of Britain's railway tracks and stations is up to 40% less efficient than European rivals including Germany, Ireland and Belgium.

The transport secretary, Philip Hammond, is considering higher-than-expected fare rises in January in an attempt to reduce taxpayers' annual £3.7bn subsidy for Network Rail.

"The cost of construction, civil engineering and labour rates is more expensive than in Europe. Whether it is building a bridge, a railway or a house, it is more expensive in the UK than elsewhere. There are wider questions to ask,"

.......and THE WORST.

Have you seen how much the Directors of Railtrack are paying themselves?

.......and THE WORST.

Have you seen how much the Directors of Railtrack are paying themselves?

Check the DATE of the article!

http://www.telegraph...-Railtrack.html

Passenger groups said, however, that directors could make maximum bonuses for worse performance than Railtrack.

Edited by erranta

Check the DATE of the article!

http://www.telegraph...-Railtrack.html

Passenger groups said, however, that directors could make maximum bonuses for worse performance than Railtrack.

24 June 2003..............................WTF

I know one chap at Railtrack putting his two sons through Eton. Now I understand how he does it.

I now use the coach whenever possible, especially now that there is little difference in comfort between National Express coaches and First Great Western, which is my main rail service

60 quid vs 200 quid for the same return journey next week, with not that much difference in times. Train fairs are unjustifiable for me when I'm paying and there is the coach as an alternative.

Edited by LiveinHope

I now use the coach whenever possible, especially now that there is little difference in comfort between National Express coaches and First Great Western, which is my main rail service

60 quid vs 200 quid for the same return journey next week, with not that much difference in times. Train fairs are unjustifiable for me when I'm paying and there is the coach as an alternative.

But you will get off the coach totally insane. Screetchy iPods, whining kids, inane mobile phone conversations.

But you will get off the coach totally insane. Screetchy iPods, whining kids, inane mobile phone conversations.

I always get stuck next to the toilet, so add smelling of stale piss to the list.

Still worth it though, I'd swim through a sea of stale piss to avoid giving any money to the thieving train companies.

I always get stuck next to the toilet, so add smelling of stale piss to the list.

Still worth it though, I'd swim through a sea of stale piss to avoid giving any money to the thieving train companies.

Ermm think you'll find some are owned by the same cronies err company. Stagecoach etc.. thought I think Nationalised Express were relieved of their duties (probably didn't pay a big enough bribe).

Edited by Sir John Steed

Which is why you get night buses whereby people sleep, megabus drivers are very assertive. I remember a girl with a lound ipod he pulled over and told her to turn it down once she said what if I don't? You can walk then he said... Haha picking up my XT600 was nuts, it took me nearly 21 hours of bus travel to get from Manchester to Ipswitch!

Not intending to be controversial, BUT

Actually, I catch the coach often now since FGW have redesigned their carriages and 'done away' with tables in standard class in order to squeeze in 8 extra seats.

I honestly also find the coach better than the train for behaviour and noise levels. I have never yet experienced the Tsk Tsk Tsk headphone noise of an adjacent passenger on a coach, never been deliberately kicked, verbally abused, or had to suffer drunks late at night. No hot food or alcohol allowed on coaches.

Coach definitely wins on price. Train wins if I travel first class on business and need to work. I can no longer work effectively in standard class on FGW as the space between seats no longer allows for a laptop comfortably and there are only 4 tables per carriage, which are usually occupied. Can't work on a coach either due to space between seats..so price wins here.

Edited by LiveinHope

I'd sooner be in the care custody and control of a megabus driver than the typical imbecile who drives a train, who is unable to tell passengers anything when things go wrong.

"We apologise for ANY inconvenience this MAY cause you".

Being late DOES cause an inconvenience. Why don't they get it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2006/jun/29/transportintheuk.travelnews

Train-leasing banks face inquiry amid claims that public is being ripped off

Thursday, 29 June 2006

The companies supplying the trains and carriages that run on Britain's railways are facing the threat of a competition inquiry amid allegations that they are ripping off passengers by charging the rail-operating firms too much.

The complaint focuses on the fees charged by rail-leasing firms for the trains and carriages they inherited from the old British Rail.

Train operators lease almost all of their rolling stock from just three companies, each owned by one of the big banks: Angel Trains, a division of the Royal Bank of Scotland; HSBC Rail, owned by HSBC; and Porterbrook, a part of the Abbey Group.

Swansea to London is 3 and a 1/2 hours but I have been on 6 and 7 hour journeys - about £220 return.

The coach is even worse as, last time I used it, the 'direct' service called in Neath, Port Tablot, Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport, Chepstow, Bristol and Reading.

I wanted to kill myself by the time I got to my destination.

I think the cost of travel in the UK with the coming public sector cuts will make many parts of the UK economically impossible for people to even look elsewhere for work.

A return from Darlington to London is £255!

The trains are the same as the airlines - if you can be flexible and there are amazing deals. It's peak time that's the problem.

Darlington > London £27.00, 0 changes - link

If the above link times out, go here.

edit: link no worky, go to http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/?, jump down to "best fare finder".

Edited by darwin

Swansea to London is 3 and a 1/2 hours but I have been on 6 and 7 hour journeys - about £220 return.

It's not that bad. According to www.thetrainline.com, the typical price of a single from Swansea to London today is £38, and there's even one train where you can get a single for £16.50. You have to commit to a specific train for those prices though. A single which works on any off-peak train costs £46, and one which includes peak trains costs £109.50.

It get cheaper if you buy ahead of time. Next Thursday, there are plenty of tickets for £23; two weeks today you can go for £16.

Edited by Scunnered

It was fun walking past the staff car park at Colchester Station when my colleague pointed out the class cars..porsches, top Audis and BMWs.

And as for contractors being the most expensive...well..as they are all hand in glove with the purchasers, is it surprising prices are so high....

Guest eight

A return from Darlington to London is £255!

To be fair they could charge anythiing to get away from Darlington and people would pay it. Single to Northallerton, £200? No problem.....

eight

Guest eight

It was fun walking past the staff car park at Colchester Station when my colleague pointed out the class cars..porsches, top Audis and BMWs.

And as for contractors being the most expensive...well..as they are all hand in glove with the purchasers, is it surprising prices are so high....

Same here. There must be 5 million quid's worth of motors in the various station car parks here. And people say renting a house is dead money.

eight

It's not that bad. According to www.thetrainline.com, the typical price of a single from Swansea to London today is £38, and there's even one train where you can get a single for £16.50. You have to commit to a specific train for those prices though. A single which works on any off-peak train costs £46, and one which includes peak trains costs £109.50.

It get cheaper if you buy ahead of time. Next Thursday, there are plenty of tickets for £23; two weeks today you can go for £16.

Well, this is the problem..

When I were t'Lad, you went t'station bought t'ticket and got on t'train.

Now you have to plan your journey to the minute, buy a ticket weeks in advance, find your seat on the train, tell the confused old person/hassled-mother-of-several-kids/pissed squaddie to get out of your seat and wedge yourself in - assuming that the train actually turns up, and knowing that you have no control of events should the train go wrong.

These are, apparently, the benefits of privatization. Or a kind of quasi-nationalisation, but since nationalisation has been declared morally wrong, we have a company with no shareholders and no accountability to government, running a service which a fair chunk of the economy depends on.