House Price Crash Forum

Corporate Enforcement Officers Masquerading

Guest UK Debt Slave

HOLA441
Guest UK Debt Slave

I travel on Southern Central trains at the moment and I have noticed in the last few weeks an extremely heavy handed presence by Southern Central security staff dolled up to look like policemen with stab jackets and Hi-Vis jerkins with Rail Neiighbourhood Officer emblazoned on them. The only thing that distinguishes them from a genuine copper is the Southern Central logo affixed to their left tit

So I have been watching this with interest because virtually all the people thay have caught travelling without tickets are students travelling to the local college.

So rather than this rather heavy handed behaviour, why don't Southern central offer cheaper tickets to students. They don't have any money. They can't claim benefits and they don't receive any kind of living allowance.

As thing stand, they dish out £20 fixed penalties knowing full well the students have no money, very little access to part time work and their parents will inevitiably end up footing the bill anyway.

Am I alone in thinking this is a little bit wrong?

HOLA442

I travel on Southern Central trains at the moment and I have noticed in the last few weeks an extremely heavy handed presence by Southern Central security staff dolled up to look like policemen with stab jackets and Hi-Vis jerkins with Rail Neiighbourhood Officer emblazoned on them. The only thing that distinguishes them from a genuine copper is the Southern Central logo affixed to their left tit

So I have been watching this with interest because virtually all the people thay have caught travelling without tickets are students travelling to the local college.

So rather than this rather heavy handed behaviour, why don't Southern central offer cheaper tickets to students. They don't have any money. They can't claim benefits and they don't receive any kind of living allowance.

As thing stand, they dish out £20 fixed penalties knowing full well the students have no money, very little access to part time work and their parents will inevitiably end up footing the bill anyway.

why can't the students do part time work, for example in Tesco? unsure.gif

HOLA443

Are these fixed penalties enforceable in law? Or is the situation similar to private car parks?

Anyway, my real gripe wouldn't be with the fact that they are trying to prevent fare evasion, but that they feel the need to dress up like Rambo to do it. Military fetishism is endemic in this country right now, and it worries me immensely.

eight

HOLA444

IMHO they could get a student rail card, OR get a cheaper monthly pass?

HOLA445

It is confusing why discounts aren't available to students on rail (the young persons railcard is hardly useful for a daily commute). The rail and bus services are run by the same company here, namely First. A daily return ticket on the bus is roughly the same price as the train ticket for the closest journey. However, a 3 month rail season ticket works out at 60% per day more with a lot less coverage than the equivalent student 10-week bus pass.

It seems crazy that it is so inconsistent across different modes of public transport.

HOLA446
... but that they feel the need to dress up like Rambo to do it. Military fetishism is endemic in this country right now, and it worries me immensely.

aye. Rather disturbing. But it's when they start covering their faces, or thinking it is ok to dish out summary justice by violence that you really need to be concerned.

HOLA447

aye. Rather disturbing. But it's when they start covering their faces, or thinking it is ok to dish out summary justice by violence that you really need to be concerned.

OK, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thank god we haven't reached that stage yet!

Er, hang on.....

eight

HOLA448

Why are they not being charged with impersonating a Police Officer ?

This stripper below was arrested numerous times, and I am sure his costume was far less realistic than the Rail Officers' in question.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4304955/Police-arrest-stripper-22-times-for-impersonating-an-officer.html

HOLA449

Impersonating a police officer is indeed a criminal offence:

http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.php?title=Impersonating_a_police_officer

Note the third bullet point "wearing a police uniform calculated to deceive".

Now the wheel clampers have themselves been clamped, they're attempting to exploit the public's misconception's and lack of legal knowledge in new and even more salacious ways.

HOLA4410

Impersonating a police officer is indeed a criminal offence:

http://www.wikicrimeline.co.uk/index.php?title=Impersonating_a_police_officer

Note the third bullet point "wearing a police uniform calculated to deceive".

Now the wheel clampers have themselves been clamped, they're attempting to exploit the public's misconception's and lack of legal knowledge in new and even more salacious ways.

Interesting. Also:

“member of a police force” includes a member of the British Transport Police Force, and

"Any person who, not being a constable, wears any article of police uniform in circumstances where it gives him an appearance so nearly resembling that of a member of a police force as to be calculated to deceive shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale."

Uk Debt Slave. You know what to do :)

Report this matter to the Coppers. They have a duty to investigate and let you know of the outcome.

Does their appearance nearly resemble the appearance of a member of the British Transprt Police ? If so then it will be interesting to see how this proceeds..

HOLA4411
Guest UK Debt Slave

Interesting. Also:

“member of a police force” includes a member of the British Transport Police Force, and

"Any person who, not being a constable, wears any article of police uniform in circumstances where it gives him an appearance so nearly resembling that of a member of a police force as to be calculated to deceive shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale."

Uk Debt Slave. You know what to do :)

Report this matter to the Coppers. They have a duty to investigate and let you know of the outcome.

Does their appearance nearly resemble the appearance of a member of the British Transprt Police ? If so then it will be interesting to see how this proceeds..

I will take this further when i travel home this evening

If they are at the entrance to the station, I will ask them to explain themselves

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm pretty sure having 'Rail Enforcement Officer' on their vests and the corporate logo will cover them legally.

'Appearence nearly resemble'

Very subjective. I think a Judge should decide. :)

HOLA4415
Guest UK Debt Slave

I'm pretty sure having 'Rail Enforcement Officer' on their vests and the corporate logo will cover them legally.

OK chaps

I had a little 'chat' with one of these Nazi stormtroopers on the way home this evening

There was one of them checking tickets at the platform entrance.

The conversation went something like this:

Nazi: Ticket please

Me: Excuse me

Me: Excuse me. Who are you?

Nazi: Ticket please sir.

Me: I'm sorry, Are you a police officer?

Nazi: No.

Me: Then why are you dressed as a police officer.

Nazi: I'm not

Me: Well, excuse me but you look like a police officer to me. Are you a police officer?

Nazi: No, I am a security guard

Me: Do you realize that it is an offence to dress in a manner which might deceive a member of the public into the belief that you are a genuine law enforcemant officer?

Nazi: (speechless)

At this point, the Station manager appears

SM: Excuse me sir, what seems to be the problem here?

Me: Why is this man masquerading as a police officer?

SM: He isn't . He is employed as a security guard by Southern Central?

Me: Then why does he so closely resemble a police offiicer?

SM: I don't believe he does, sir

Me: So he is dressed all in black, with a black peaked cap, he is wearing a stab vest, a high visibility vest, he is wearing a belt which contains various items which might reasonably mislead a member of the public to believe that he is a police officer and you are telling me he doesn't look like a police officer?

SM: The (miniscule) logo on the vest clearly says Southern Central sir.

Me: Really. But if I was 10 yards away or more, or the light was poor or I was visually impaired, I might easily be led to believe that this person is a police officer when he most certainly isn't.

SM: I really don't understand what the problem is sir

Me: The problem is that this kind of presence is frankly intimidating and unnecessary. This is a free country, not Nazi Germany. Why is necessary for your employees to dress in this frankly deceitful and intimidating manner?

SM: Why are you getting aggressive.

( I was being forceful in my opinion but at no time aggressive or rude)

Me: Because as a paying customer of Southern Central, I don't like this heavy handed presence. It is unpleasant and unnecessary.

SM: well i'm sorry you feel like that sir but we deem it to be necessary

Me. It isn't necessary, it's bloody outrageous.

At which point walked away

Anyway, I will be writing a letter to West Sussex police to lodge a formal complaint and I'll keep you posted

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

OK chaps

I had a little 'chat' with one of these Nazi stormtroopers on the way home this evening

Me: Well, excuse me but you look like a police officer to me. Are you a police officer?

Me: Do you realize that it is an offence to dress in a manner which might deceive a member of the public into the belief that you are a genuine law enforcemant officer?

Me: So he is dressed all in black, with a black peaked cap, he is wearing a stab vest, a high visibility vest, he is wearing a belt which contains various items which might reasonably mislead a member of the public to believe that he is a police officer and you are telling me he doesn't look like a police officer?

Me: Really. But if I was 10 yards away or more, or the light was poor or I was visually impaired, I might easily be led to believe that this person is a police officer when he most certainly isn't.

Me: The problem is that this kind of presence is frankly intimidating and unnecessary. This is a free country, not Nazi Germany. Why is necessary for your employees to dress in this frankly deceitful and intimidating manner?

Me: Because as a paying customer of Southern Central, I don't like this heavy handed presence. It is unpleasant and unnecessary.

Anyway, I will be writing a letter to West Sussex police to lodge a formal complaint and I'll keep you posted

So, did you show him your ticket?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

OK chaps

^^^^^^^^^^

I like this guy!

I wonder whether there is any mileage in milking the power-trips these fakes get off on?

What if you got a couple of fit 'foreign' tourist birds to ask said fake to pose with them because they "love British policemen so much", and have them say this over and over whilst being videoed. What's the betting these fakes wouldn't disabuse them of their 'mistaken' beliefs? Maybe have the odd Brit approach them in the middle of this to report a crime in progress outside the station. In such circumstances they really should 'fess up' that a real policeman was needed. Wonder if they would? Could lead to some very interesting outcomes. Presumably, in some instances, one should, as a citizen, contact the police immediately ... but I can't think what these might be ...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

OK chaps

///

Brill. Bravo. Someone who walks the walk.

I really wish the MSM would start to stick up for ordinary people - this 'impersonating' of police officers is an interesting - and insidious - story.

Of course, you realise you are a marked man now, they'll be reviewing the CCTV footage, thinking of ways to get you.

Archived