House Price Crash Forum
Dave Spart

Bbc Money Watch

Woke up during the early hours last night unable to sleep. Flipped on the TV only to see this programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t3t7b

If you haven't seen it, its worth a watch.

It is presented as an outside broadcast from Liverpool's city shopping centre with Sophie Raworth and that bloke from Money Box Live.

They interview various people in the street to see how they are coping with personal debt. One pensioner is £3,000 in debt, a student similarly so, and a trainee solicitor £60,000 in debt.

They also interviewed a clock-maker from Bournemouth who earns only £20,000 a year but has built up a BTL portfolio of over 100 houses!

Good luck to him when interest rates go up.

(Should that be BTC?)

Oh and also they interview a family of egotists who struggle with the concept of sacrificing McVities biscuits for Sainsbury's own-brand and the thought of the missus having to leave the palace and soil her divine-self with an actual job.

Edited by Dave Spart

This is a good series of programs highlighting major issues, however it was filmed in late 2008 iirc so now the housing market has gone up 5-10% everyone has forgotton about the real issues.

Only now is all the s*** coming out of the wood work, eg http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1309939/Too-poor-retire-Over-55s-pension-savings-just-debts.html

All the comments I agree with have been red arrowed, eg

How?

Anyone aged over 55 has lived through one of the biggest investment booms we've ever seen. They should have loads of money squirelled away.

I'm ten years younger than that and I can easily retire yet I missed out on the bulk of the boom.

Only themselves to blame.

- JB, UK, 8/9/2010 10:08

They also interviewed a clock-maker from Bournemouth who earns only £20,000 a year but has built up a BTL portfolio of over 100 houses!

this is one of the weird things - the educated and bright avoided the huge risk of massive leverage - it is the not-so-bright that had the b*lls to go for it and build properdie empires, but from 2008 to now I bet many have gone bust

this is one of the weird things - the educated and bright avoided the huge risk of massive leverage - it is the not-so-bright that had the b*lls to go for it and build properdie empires, but from 2008 to now I bet many have gone bust

If you've got something to lose then leverage has a meaningful downside for you. If not then what's the worst that can happen?

If you've got something to lose then leverage has a meaningful downside for you. If not then what's the worst that can happen?

true - but 'm not sure that more sane leverag or ambition would nto have ld them to hold on to some prmanent gain instead of the all out risks that were taken

This is a good series of programs highlighting major issues, however it was filmed in late 2008 iirc so now the housing market has gone up 5-10% everyone has forgotton about the real issues.

Incorrect. it was new 3 parter following on from the series to which you refer. It was broadcast in July this year.