House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Do You Believe In The Monarchy?

There's probably a two pronged attack looking at this. Do you believe in the monarchy and do they provide value for money?. The Telegraph suggests that it costs the tax taxpayer £38m to run the monarchy per year...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7872052/Cost-of-Royal-Family-drops-7p-per-person.html

Looking at this http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/index.php they want a head of state that's directly voted by the people..

There's probably a two pronged attack looking at this. Do you believe in the monarchy and do they provide value for money?. The Telegraph suggests that it costs the tax taxpayer £38m to run the monarchy per year...

http://www.telegraph...per-person.html

Looking at this http://www.republic....0want/index.php they want a head of state that's directly voted by the people..

A definite yep. £38m is an extremely small amount to pay out for the amount of revenue foreign tourists bring in when they come over here to see the whole biz of royalty. If we abolished the whole royal thing, there'd be nothing to lift us above other countries, except binge drinking, chavs, scroungers and general degenration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/7872052/Cost-of-Royal-Family-drops-7p-per-person.html

Looking at this http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/index.php they want a head of state that's directly voted by the people..

Answer to the question: No. But neither should it remain a monarchy. Your question presupposes the "UK" superstate should continue to exist in its present form.

What a shitty poll! Who are you working for?

You ask one question in the title, then a completely different one in the actual Poll!

Sort out your title and poll title and reset the numbers...

What a shitty poll! Who are you working for?

You ask one question in the title, then a completely different one in the actual Poll!

Sort out your title and poll title and reset the numbers...

MI6 :ph34r:

Bloody ell, I don't know why I bother...Yes, I buggered it up, but perhaps you could have been a bit more polite about it...

Edit - poll reset..

I like having a (constitutional) monarch, it means there's always someone above the ambitious political trash who form the modern ruling elite.

That they have no real power is good, but it's not just about power, it's a psychological thing - no matter how power mad the prime minister (hi Gordon) he'll always have to forelock tug at least in theory to keep him honest.

MI6 ph34r.gif

Bloody ell, I don't know why I bother...Yes, I buggered it up, but perhaps you could have been a bit more polite about it...

Edit - poll reset..

Lol yeah, sorry <removes trollhat>

A definite yep. £38m is an extremely small amount to pay out for the amount of revenue foreign tourists bring in when they come over here to see the whole biz of royalty. If we abolished the whole royal thing, there'd be nothing to lift us above other countries, except binge drinking, chavs, scroungers and general degenration.

Just to be clear, tourists rarely get to see the monarchy. They get to see buck palace, trooping guard etc etc.

Getting rid of the monarchy doesnt mean we knock down the buildings and stop the other stuff it just means we stop handing over cash to the family.

Just to be clear, tourists rarely get to see the monarchy. They get to see buck palace, trooping guard etc etc.

Getting rid of the monarchy doesnt mean we knock down the buildings and stop the other stuff it just means we stop handing over cash to the family.

I personally believe that we should do away with it after the Queen... Is the royal family really English? I'm crap at history, but are the Windsor's truly entitled to the crown? They had a documentary about the true succession (it was either on BBC2 or C4), and the chap who should be King is an apparently Australian... :o

I think the fact the 'Queen' lives there (even if she doesn't really) and that the UK has a monarch, probably has a bit to do with the aura that attracts tourists..

as another post said, 38 million is cheap, especially for the revenue it generates and the PR it creates from foreign visits.

Buckingham palace gets incredibly heavy usage, and as an aside it could do with a few new carpets...

Quite agree.

Being an Old Windsorian and having met Her Majesty, informally, several times in an equestrian context, I might be somewhat biased, but I'm an ardent monarchist and happen to think that the 'major' Royals are of immense benefit to the nation. The 'minor' Royals are another issue.

The local castle and crown estate provide thousands of acres of well-managed, beautiful land which is free to all members of the public. The wife rides quite regularly through the Great Park. The cynic in me doubts if that would be case, or even if all the land would still be protected now, in 50 years, 100, 500, were the Royal Family not acting as conservationists.

I quite like the Duchy Originals food products as well :-) but that's not particularly relevant.

British royal family = expensive irrelevance.

In what way are they expensive? How far out of pocket do they make you?

If anything their current "homes" can be fully opened to the public and therefore actually generate revenue. For example...

Palace of Versailles gets 5.7 million annual visitors (15 million to the local area and gardens) and not a member of a Royal Family in sight.

Guest eight

I like having a (constitutional) monarch, it means there's always someone above the ambitious political trash who form the modern ruling elite.

That they have no real power is good, but it's not just about power, it's a psychological thing - no matter how power mad the prime minister (hi Gordon) he'll always have to forelock tug at least in theory to keep him honest.

Didn't work though did it. The very fact that Blair and Brown got away with everything they did convinced me that we don't need the monarchy.

eight

Didn't work though did it. The very fact that Blair and Brown got away with everything they did convinced me that we don't need the monarchy.

eight

That, Sir, is a very good point

eight

Well, the Queen is supposedly a bit of a lefty herself. :ph34r:

And I think President Blair would have been even worse than Prime Minister Blair, myself.

I do believe in the Monarchy but definately not Father Christmas.

And yet FC pops round every year, when was the last time any of the other lot popped round for a mince pie and a sherry? At least since QEQM popped off...

And yet FC pops round every year, when was the last time any of the other lot popped round for a mince pie and a sherry? At least since QEQM popped off...

They aren't local people. We only like local people round these parts.

Guest eight

Well, the Queen is supposedly a bit of a lefty herself. :ph34r:

And I think President Blair would have been even worse than Prime Minister Blair, myself.

For all practical purposes, he was President Blair.

eight

A definite yep. £38m is an extremely small amount to pay out for the amount of revenue foreign tourists bring in when they come over here to see the whole biz of royalty.

I think they're great value for money and is the respectable face of Britain.

I also 'believe' in them, I'd rather have them at the head rather that an all ruling minister!