House Price Crash Forum
goldbug9999

Ebay Relists On Sharp Increase (Anecdotal)

Have noticed recently that the majority of things I've watched on ebay recently seem to get re listed. Once upon a time relist notifications were very rare but it seems nothing is selling. Even those things that have theoretically sold i.e. bids reached reserve, are often comming back on, maybe people who win things arnt paying up when it comes to it.

Have noticed recently that the majority of things I've watched on ebay recently seem to get re listed. Once upon a time relist notifications were very rare but it seems nothing is selling. Even those things that have theoretically sold i.e. bids reached reserve, are often comming back on, maybe people who win things arnt paying up when it comes to it.

Unless it's just people bidding on their own stuff..

Actually, I just had my first experience of selling something that was actually in demand (a certain brand of pushchair), got several 'Can I buy it now' messages straight away. Including one from a person who claimed that they desperately needed one as theirs had been stolen, apparently forgetting that they has several similar ones for sale (at a high price) already..

I've noticed a good number of bikes being relisted. Okay, it's the end of summer but still.

90% of our business is ebay listed. We hardly ever have to re-list - it always sells.

90% of our business is ebay listed. We hardly ever have to re-list - it always sells.

possibly a function reserve price. Our old belongings that the wife lists always sells, but she always starts them at 99p with no reserve.....

Ebay have currently dropped the listing fees for items starting at 99p. This may mean that people are listing more items they wouldn't usually bother listing (me included). As some of the items are less likely to sell, relists would be higher.

Ebay have currently dropped the listing fees for items starting at 99p. This may mean that people are listing more items they wouldn't usually bother listing (me included). As some of the items are less likely to sell, relists would be higher.

Ebay have had 99p free listing for private sellers, not businesses for a long time now (although they recently limited it to 100 I believe )

imo, summer is often dead for many sellers, but there are too many sellers anyway. 99p start auctions are far too risky. A lot of them get picked up by businesses for ebay resale. It's great for buying at the mo.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Guest eight

Ebay have had 99p free listing for private sellers, not businesses for a long time now (although they recently limited it to 100 I believe )

imo, summer is often dead for many sellers, but there are too many sellers anyway. 99p start auctions are far too risky. A lot of them get picked up by businesses for ebay resale. It's great for buying at the mo.

I know Ebay's a law unto itself, but does this actually work?

eight

Edited by eight

I never used to understand how people could make serious money buying and selling on eBay.... until the last few days.

I hit on a pretty much guaranteed way purely by chance. (I'm not going to kill the Golden Goose by telling you what)

I see some products being bought by 'private' buyers, then re-appearing on eBay shops some time later for 5x the price, just listed with different Keywords.

eight

For the experienced ebay seller who knows their market / products, yes. But you have to be careful. Such sellers have a loyal set of customers who are waiting to buy the items. The customers perhaps would not take the risk on buying from a newbie / low fb seller.

eight

Of course it works. Most relisted stuff is put on by chancers who know the price of everything and the value of nothing lol.

"pretty much guaranteed"? Famous last words and all that.

It is pretty much guaranteed. It's just the frequency of it occurring is relatively low.

You are relying on people not knowing what they are selling.

An analogy:

Imagine a Japanese company made a computer console in the 1980s that was state of the art. It has a console and some controllers and some games.

30 years later, a Chinese company churns out some popular but not so well built games console, with so-so controllers, but the console is now all digital, and interactive so the kids love them.

Now imagine that you could use the well-built controllers from the old system, on the new system, to make the overall new package even better.

Now imagine that owners of the old system didn't know they were compatible with the new system, then you would pick an old system for £10 on eBay. You buy one and throw away everything but the controllers and sell them on as compatible with the new one, for £50.

The people who own the new system know they can use controllers from the old system and are prepared to pay for it. They search on eBay for the old controllers, but the people selling the defunct system have no idea users of the new system can use their 30 year old stuff so list it as a complete system, not as 'controllers for sale, compatible with new model' etc.

Hope this makes sense.

I never used to understand how people could make serious money buying and selling on eBay.... until the last few days.

I hit on a pretty much guaranteed way purely by chance. (I'm not going to kill the Golden Goose by telling you what)

I see some products being bought by 'private' buyers, then re-appearing on eBay shops some time later for 5x the price, just listed with different Keywords.

The resell thing's always been there. When I had the time I used to try and spot people selling, say, camera with several/many good lenses then resell separately for a good profit either on ebay or elsewhere.

I only ever list when its a free day.

The last 4 times have been the worst listings ever.

It's tough out there.

That could be your problem. If you want competition list on days when everyone lists. Its better to spend that extra 20p and list on days when they don't.