House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eek

Work Plan B's

Just finished commenting on facebook and I realised I have an actual question (well 2 actually).

1) do people have a plan b in case their job went pear shaped?

2) anyone care to have a quick test of mine. Its a website here I've ran out of suitable guinea pigs who can give an unbiased opinion and don't for obvious reasons the facebook friends option.

As an aside one reason for doing it was because I know it would annoy SNACR.

In answer to your questions:

1. I always follow the advice an older colleague gave me: "When in danger or in doubt, run around & scream & shout"

2. No

Interesting Site quidco lottery... IMHO It doesn't have trust feel about it, I wouldn't use it if I came across it, it doesn't feel like real website, looks like it could be a scam/or I will never win. A number of problems, I don't get the concept in under 30 seconds, I don't trust the site. Site needs to explain the concept visually better, I need to see pictures of happy winners, I want to see the cash I will win on the site I want it to be really really simple... Name is ok but not great, I understand what Buy means but the site isnt buying anything Im buying, draw could mean drawing. Together its a little confusing. Oh I als dont like the word Rules, I dont want to be bossed around..

and for those reasons Im out... But keep going, improve it, and dont sell out...

Interesting Site quidco lottery... IMHO It doesn't have trust feel about it, I wouldn't use it if I came across it, it doesn't feel like  real website, looks like it could be a scam/or I will never win.  A number of problems, I don't get the concept in under 30 seconds, I don't trust the site.  Site needs to explain the concept visually better, I need to see pictures of happy winners, I want to see the cash I will win on the site I want it to be really really simple...  Name is ok but not great, I understand what Buy means but the site isnt buying anything Im buying, draw could mean drawing.  Together its a little confusing.  Oh I als dont like the word Rules, I dont want to be bossed around..

and for those reasons Im out...

Cheers for that it highlights one of the real problems I have. Given its a non-scam site I don't want to add stock or custom photos of fake happy winners, downside is until we have winners I don't have photos the photos to add.

Anyone else care to comment. All comments no matter how bad happily received.

Just finished commenting on facebook and I realised I have an actual question (well 2 actually).

1) do people have a plan b in case their job went pear shaped?

2) anyone care to have a quick test of mine. Its a website here I've ran out of suitable guinea pigs who can give an unbiased opinion and don't for obvious reasons the facebook friends option.

As an aside one reason for doing it was because I know it would annoy SNACR.

1. Yes, I work as an Database IT contractor and at the same time I'm building up a portfolio of iPhone apps so that I can make money off the apps or market this app business as the equivalent of a web design company, except I write iPhone apps for people.

2. Like the site, very clean. I like the Twitter integration although you've got nothing on your Twitter page yet. Facebook integration is a good idea although the link doesnt work.

It looks legit to me because you've got an address company no etc. On the rules, privacy, etc pages - why have you highlighted certian words in yellow? It looks wierd (might be my browser).

On the homepage you say 'Why use buydraw.com' and a few lines later you say 'Why' again, I think you should have just one or the other (only my opinion though) I've bookmarked your page and I'll definately be going back again in future.

Maybe if you've got a few minutes you could look at my apps page and give me your honest opinion?

Cheers! :)

Interesting Site quidco lottery... IMHO It doesn't have trust feel about it, I wouldn't use it if I came across it, it doesn't feel like  real website, looks like it could be a scam/or I will never win.  A number of problems, I don't get the concept in under 30 seconds, I don't trust the site.  Site needs to explain the concept visually better, I need to see pictures of happy winners, I want to see the cash I will win on the site I want it to be really really simple...  Name is ok but not great, I understand what Buy means but the site isnt buying anything Im buying, draw could mean drawing.  Together its a little confusing.  Oh I als dont like the word Rules, I dont want to be bossed around..

and for those reasons Im out...

I agree, its hard to grasp the concept quickly

1. Yes, I work as an Database IT contractor and at the same time I'm building up a portfolio of iPhone apps so that I can make money off the apps or market this app business as the equivalent of a web design company, except I write iPhone apps for people.

Maybe if you've got a few minutes you could look at my apps page and give me your honest opinion?

I would look but as I don't have an iphone (I'm an android guy) I'm not the best person to ask.

So far the comments see to be:-

• Don't like the concept - hardly surprising given the site we are on. I'm waiting for someone to say its an illegal lottery (its not by the way).

• need for graphics to explain concept. Fair enough I'll get some sorted

• there are still some issues with layout. Hopefully we'll fix those soon.

Anything else people want to say / ask. All criticism gratefully received.

Have plan b,c,d,e and onwards. Have dipped into them already in various ways.

As for the site - branding too far in the background as well as lack of integrated graphics to give the site a unique look and feel which poelpe will recognise, looks too much like a link site (of which there are bazillions), immediate turn off. Concept sees reasonable but why not make it more direct - say kick back 50% of link/commission revenue, have people sign up - they are much more likely to commit to using your portal that way, some people really are turned off by the lottery theme and could make the original proposition seem less than 100% legit.

Yep, refund is a word a certainly don't like to hear.

Does worry me that people see refund as a word with negative connotations and inextricably linked with faulty goods.

Like the BuyDraw logo and people do seem to like lotteries particularly tiny odds ones for a house.

Have plan b,c,d,e and onwards. Have dipped into them already in various ways.

As for the site - branding too far in the background as well as lack of integrated graphics to give the site a unique look and feel which poelpe will recognise, looks too much like a link site (of which there are bazillions), immediate turn off. Concept sees reasonable but why not make it more direct - say kick back 50% of link/commission revenue, have people sign up - they are much more likely to commit to using your portal that way, some people really are turned off by the lottery theme and could make the original proposition seem less than 100% legit.

The problem is that quidco and topcashback have destroyed the cashback model by giving people all the money back. While you can recruit people to a 50% cashback site they tend to move on to one of the other players.

As I'm sure other people on here will notice the ease with which an business can be created on the internet combined with some people's lack of business sense ensures that most internet business quickly end up giving everything away. Either by selling the items at bare minimum mark-up or giving all the income away to attract customers.

As an aside we came up with two other phrases yesterday. For those ensure of the word refund or had difficulty with the concept does win your money back or win back what you spend work better?

As an aside we came up with two other phrases yesterday. For those ensure of the word refund or had difficulty with the concept does win your money back or win back what you spend work better?

Personally I don't think it does work better, the instant I see the word "Win" on a website I'm thinking scam. It implies I'm getting something for nothing, yet with your original refund it implies, to me at least, I'm doing something which will/could be rewarded.

Contrast the amount of people in general you hear saying "I never win anything" to "I'm always winning stuff". It for me implies an element of luck and most people in life consider themselves unlucky.

Refund for me is fine... with respect to Soon Not a Chain Retailer he is in the retail business and therefore on the sh*tty end of the stick when it comes to the term refund.

With all due respect the site looks very amateurish to me, the worst thing is the logos from the companies, they have spent many thousands of pounds on a logo and you just resize it to 120x60 with no consideration as to whether the image looks as it should do. For me that makes you look like you couldn't be arsed to do it properly, a sort of "that will do" attitude, which leaves the opinion of what else can't they be arsed with, can they be arsed to look after my personal details, can they be arsed to send me the refund and so on....

...I'm not saying you are like that but that's the impression I have from what I can see on the site.

gilf,

I'll take as much criticism as people are willing to give. I've been around long enough firstly not to take anything said online personally and secondly to know people will always be polite and never, ever say what they really think especially when they are being paid or could be paid for it.

As such getting any real valid criticism is hard so even if I didn't agree with it (I do by the way and until now I've been more concerned with function rather than form) I will at least investigate what is being said.

Ill butt in if it helps

Big white background with list of shops going down all in one size, immediately i thought can i be arsed to scroll. Everything important is below the fold which is a massive no no.

Facebook button, yuk. I use facebook, chat to my mates and am happy with it, do i want it anywhere near what im buying given its track record with privacy and tracking...NO

I agree with gilf on the win a refund, i instantly thought "yeah who will get that"

Think you just need to get someone seriously creative to look at it, it all appears to work but for a lot of people out there what it looks like is 1/2 the battle

Hope this helps a bit

As such getting any real valid criticism is hard so even if I didn't agree with it (I do by the way and until now I've been more concerned with function rather than form) I will at least investigate what is being said.

Well it's good that you focused on function, but with a site it's all about first impressions unlike a physical shop it takes a fraction of a second to move on.

Rozza makes a very good point about the fold and it was something I was going to mention, you are using and losing a lot of visual real estate at the top with that image, I know people have said you need to get your message across but for me while that is important most of the people coming to your site will already have visited or know up front before they get there what the basic concept is. I say this because on thing that people don't consider with the web is that almost nobody (and what I really mean is nobody) will just stumble across the site, I tend to consider it very much like a shop situated in the middle of a row of houses on a housing estate.

One thing you must do is view the site at lower resolutions, I have tied and to be honest it's not bad other than the fact all I get is the image and a search box, what is it I am searching for, what is the purpose of the site, I'm in a defensive position i.e. you use the word purchase, what is it I'm purchasing etc etc. I have a site I run with somebody else and this is a constant battle, he has a huge screen with a large resolution, all the stuff he does looks terrible, all mine looks great because I consider how it will look lower down the chain.

I'm very similar to you, it is about function and I know very little about design. If you think your idea will make money you really do need to get somebody profession in to jazz it up a bit.

One other functional observation, you have categories which then display a list of shops which then show vouchers. Personally I don't want to spend an hour clicking each one to find which ones have voucher codes, you need to convey that in the initial list.