House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Bible Belt Yanks Stirring Up Hatred

Muslims extremists commit acts of terror killing hundreds of people every year.

Christian extremists burn books which they have gone out and bought.

Which is the killer religion?

And please don't refer back to the 14th century in your answer; the world has moved on.

And please don't refer back to the 14th century in your answer; the world has moved on.

Not disputing any of that.

But it seems to me mad and dangerously lunatic to stir up religious-mania hatred that will very likely end up with more innocent people, of whatever religion or none, being blown up by nutters who are doing it to avenge the 'insult' to the name of Allah.

If they ever thought it might happen in their own little apple-pie back yard, I don't suppose they'd be quite so keen.

But it won't. It'll very likely be more poor bloody ordinary people, just going about their business in some crowded city.

send arch roman catholic and middle east peace envoy tone blair there on a book selling (sorry peace keeping) mission there. a few smiles, some lucrative lectures and a free shopping spree for cherie, tone will restore the peace.

How many innocent people were killed in iraq and afghanistan?

Not that those two wars should excuse any acts of islamic terrorism.

I read somwhere the other day that the iman of the proposed 911 islamic center has recieved funding from the cfr - what a surpise!

bible bashers book burning? Makes great headlines, stirs up some feverish 5mins hate, similar to the effigy burnings in pakistan, what's that phrase again? Divide and conquer isnt it? Much easier to keep things black and white, keep it simple, now who's on x-factor this weekend? Cant wait to see it, though i might have to record ultimate big brother in case they clash

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Not disputing any of that.

But it seems to me mad and dangerously lunatic to stir up religious-mania hatred that will very likely end up with more innocent people, of whatever religion or none, being blown up by nutters who are doing it to avenge the 'insult' to the name of Allah.

If they ever thought it might happen in their own little apple-pie back yard, I don't suppose they'd be quite so keen.

But it won't. It'll very likely be more poor bloody ordinary people, just going about their business in some crowded city.

I am in two minds about this. Whilst I agree with your conclusions above ie don't provoke unstable factions - or give them an excuse - as if they needed onedry.gif - for more savagery and bloodshed, I resent having to humour same.

I know people of several religions - including Islam - and personal creeds - who would be offended/upset if someone showed disrespect to their beliefs by, say, burning a book. They would not kill over it though.huh.gif

I think we need a clear message that whilst to peacefully practice any religion is tolerated, using it as carte blanche to break the law/cause mayhem/ kill and maim - is NOT going to be tolerated.

I am 'with' Pat Condell when he pinpoints that certain types of Muslim/Islamist is in a perpetual state of outrage about what they feel is due to them - not just common respect, but obeisance - because of their religion.

They have much in common with Mafia gangs and a variety of other anti-social gangs, that the 'respect' of that gang is to be enforced. Certain criminal individuals too, always seem to have glass egos when it comes to mere insulting gestures, and think nothing of submitting someone to horrendous brutality if they feel insulted.

It IS mainly a group mentality 'thing' tho' and a disturbing aspect of group membership, at that.

This is oddly irrational Frank.

If followers of Christianity (adherents of ostensibly the same faith using the same religious texts) are capable of both enormous acts of violence and cruelty in different time periods and different geographic locations, but also of living a revised version suitable for a modern rational society how can it be said that it is less the killer religion than Islam. The book hasn't changed.

The only issue with this story is that it is an international story at all.

It should be on a "local" Floridian channel if they so wish.

But I for one have no problem with people burning works of fiction of any type.

What the feck it has to do with politicians I have no idea.

The only issue with this story is that it is an international story at all.

It should be on a "local" Floridian channel if they so wish.

[/quot

I think that pretty well sums it up.Would you be getting hot under the collar if it was Little Red Riding Hood or Cinderella.Just because a few hundred million are sufficiently gullible to fall for The Q'aran,The Bible,The Talmud or the First book of the Jedi doesn't mean that it's true.These texts were just excuses for perverts to get their rocks off by giving someone a good stoning.

I am in two minds about this. Whilst I agree with your conclusions above ie don't provoke unstable factions - or give them an excuse - as if they needed onedry.gif - for more savagery and bloodshed, I resent having to humour same.

I know people of several religions - including Islam - and personal creeds - who would be offended/upset if someone showed disrespect to their beliefs by, say, burning a book. They would not kill over it though.huh.gif

I think we need a clear message that whilst to peacefully practice any religion is tolerated, using it as carte blanche to break the law/cause mayhem/ kill and maim - is NOT going to be tolerated.

I am 'with' Pat Condell when he pinpoints that certain types of Muslim/Islamist is in a perpetual state of outrage about what they feel is due to them - not just common respect, but obeisance - because of their religion.

They have much in common with Mafia gangs and a variety of other anti-social gangs, that the 'respect' of that gang is to be enforced. Certain criminal individuals too, always seem to have glass egos when it comes to mere insulting gestures, and think nothing of submitting someone to horrendous brutality if they feel insulted.

It IS mainly a group mentality 'thing' tho' and a disturbing aspect of group membership, at that.

It's all very well saying it's not going to be tolerated - radical nutters who offer themselves as suicide bombers don't care whether anybody's going to 'tolerate' it or not. And neither do the evil people who encourage them, and promise them eternal Paradise with their 72 virgins thrown in.

The entire fanatical end of Islam must be rubbing its hands with glee. Why anyone deliberately chooses to give these people almost the best excuse they could hope for is beyond me.

Edit: if there are any Muslims here, maybe someone could tell me what all those virgins are supposed to have done, to end up as sex slaves for all eternity.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

It's all very well saying it's not going to be tolerated - radical nutters who offer themselves as suicide bombers don't care whether anybody's going to 'tolerate' it or not. And neither do the evil people who encourage them, and promise them eternal Paradise with their 72 virgins thrown in.

The entire fanatical end of Islam must be rubbing its hands with glee. Why anyone deliberately chooses to give these people almost the best excuse they could hope for is beyond me.

Edit: if there are any Muslims here, maybe someone could tell me what all those virgins are supposed to have done, to end up as sex slaves for all eternity.

Yes. It is a problem alright.sad.gif Best we can hope for is that rationality, education and humanitarian beliefs eventually prevail and that superstition and savagery fades.

But I describe Utopia here.huh.gif

Half the roads in my City are being closed for 2 days next week. The reason ? Some robe wearing ex Nazi lunatic who believes he is some sort of messenger from God is visiting.

I think this is 100 times the story of some small group of people deciding to burn someone elses books.

Half the roads in my City are being closed for 2 days next week. The reason ? Some robe wearing ex Nazi lunatic who believes he is some sort of messenger from God is visiting.

I think this is 100 times the story of some small group of people deciding to burn someone elses books.

Agreed.

I too believe the Koran is a work of fiction.

I also believe the Bible is a work of fiction.

I also believe that a war memorial is a pile of stone.

I also believe a grave is a patch of soil with rotting animal remains beneath.

I also believe a teddy is a collection of plush and soft-clippings formed into the shape of an animal.

I also believe a cat is just n animal and is infinitely replaceable with other cats.

I also believe that sex is a bodily function.

But I also accept that people ascribe importance to all of these things way beyond their apparent face value.

Moreover, I can empathise with those who ascribe this importance, and for that reason I will not thoughtlessly walk all over their beliefs and feelings.

And I CERTAINLY would not intentionally forece my world view upon them by desecrating or destroying any of these things that they have ascribed extra meaning to. THAT would be petty, provocative and run counter to my own dispassion and thus blief in the importance of such things.

Quite. Send ina CIA opertive, remove the Korans. This nut-Job trouble-maker will find something else to burn anyhow to make his publicity stunt work. More than likely he will be forced to burn his own stock of books - bibles. If I can't find evidence of burnt bibles, insert that evidence. Plaster story over media : "Publicity seeking Pastor burns Bibles instead."

Finish him and his stupid prefab of a church. Simples.

The West funds the Muslim extremists, Frank.

You are concerned about more Muslim savagery and bloodshed?

What about 800,000 Palestinians expelled from their homes? 1.3 million dead in Iraq, Afghanistan bombed to hell by the West, drone attacks by the CIA in Pakistan etc?

THAT would be petty, provocative and run counter to my own dispassion and thus blief in the importance of such things.

Totally agree. However I still think people should be allowed to do these sort of things if they want. If they bought the book then they are free to act with it as they wish.

The Islamic World could get a bit smarter with things like this. Just ignore it and it will go away. State that they would not wish to desecrate any Christian books and if these people want to do this to the Koran then they can do so. They are just lowering themselves to petty levels and Islam could not care less.

That would be the smart thing to do and would end this nonsense. Won't happen though. I reckon many of these people, from all religions, enjoy the confrontations.

Hmm..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/5373525/Tony-Blair-believed-God-wanted-him-to-go-to-war-to-fight-evil-claims-his-mentor.html

I'm starting to detest religion - and I do voluntary work for a religious charity...

Totally agree. However I still think people should be allowed to do these sort of things if they want. If they bought the book then they are free to act with it as they wish.

Absolutely. Where this guy has stepped over the line is in publicising the whole deal. Wanna burn Korans or Bibles: fine, just don't shout about it. But I bet he's never burnt a Koran in private. Clearly he is just trying to whip up publicity for his poorly attented prefab. Takings must be down. I suspect he wanted to "Burn a nigg@r", but somebody with an ounce of sense pointed out the flaw in that plan.

The Islamic World could get a bit smarter with things like this. Just ignore it and it will go away. State that they would not wish to desecrate any Christian books and if these people want to do this to the Koran then they can do so. They are just lowering themselves to petty levels and Islam could not care less.

Exactly. What would a real belief / god care about such things?

That would be the smart thing to do and would end this nonsense. Won't happen though. I reckon many of these people, from all religions, enjoy the confrontations.

Quite. After all, who would follow footie if the teams never played? It's the confrontation that gives them a sense of belonging, the mass hysteria that reasures them they didn't just make the convictions up in their own heads.

Re the Pope, hopefully the beeb will do voxpops with (if the stats are anything to go by) the overwhelming majority of people saying things like, "yeah, they've closed all the roads. I think "pope" might be coming through here in a while. Apparently they're pretty famous, tho' I can't say I've heard any of their music ...." Stuff like that. :D

Absolutely. Where this guy has stepped over the line is in publicising the whole deal. Wanna burn Korans or Bibles: fine, just don't shout about it. But I bet he's never burnt a Koran in private. Clearly he is just trying to whip up publicity for his poorly attented prefab. Takings must be down.

Yep - so the best way is to remove his publicity. I sometimes wonder what the media's role in all of this is.

Are they just going for stories that will get people excited - or is there something a bit more sinister in it all ?

Going a bit TFH here.... :)

Yep - so the best way is to remove his publicity. I sometimes wonder what the media's role in all of this is.

Are they just going for stories that will get people excited - or is there something a bit more sinister in it all ?

The tax payer will also be shouldering £10m to £12m cost of the Herr Pope's visit...what a ruddy cheek...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/the-pope/7883117/Popes-visit-could-cost-over-20-million.html

Hardly. They've got rags to sell. So I guess we might summarize:

He's got pew spaces to sell, the media have got rags to sell. Every f@cker is on the make! :D

The question is how evil are these people that they seek to make a few crummy $ by p!ssing so many people off?