House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

What Is The Average House ?

With all this talk of how much an average house costs these days.. it made me wonder, what an average house actually is ?

The average price is circa £167,000 but regions vary.. so to find an average house, one would need to know what region is the national average.

Does anyone know ?

With all this talk of how much an average house costs these days.. it made me wonder, what an average house actually is ?

The average price is circa £167,000 but regions vary.. so to find an average house, one would need to know what region is the national average.

Does anyone know ?

I guess there are lots of 'averages' - could mean 'mean' house prices for all houses (ie all house prices added up and divided by the number of houses added up); don't know how that correlates to median price (middle of the thickest 'bunch' of prices; could be by bedrooms (two and a box?); by floor space (unlikely I grant that).

My guess is it's a mean price for all houses, which just happens loosely to get you a 3-bed end-terrace in some shitty part of the midlands or central scotland. Buys you bugger all in the south-east of course.

Here's one

My link

logic of choice

Coventry: large town/small city, neither north nor south, lower middle class but not really bad area, three bed house ( for parent(s) and the 1.8 kids), some garden

Typical location, typical family, typical Britain.

Lovely

From the ONS, the UK housing stock is:

Detached houses 21%

Semi-detached houses 31%

Terraced houses 23%

Purpose-built flat or maisonette 16%

Other (e.g. converted flats) 4%

So if that is roughly the order of desirability, the median (50th percentile) dwelling is a very cheap semi.

Link

From the ONS, the UK housing stock is:

Detached houses 21%

Semi-detached houses 31%

Terraced houses 23%

Purpose-built flat or maisonette 16%

Other (e.g. converted flats) 4%

So if that is roughly the order of desirability, the median (50th percentile) dwelling is a very cheap semi.

Link

there's a lot of overlap in desireability (is that a word? it is now!) between those house types

A semi on a rough as a badger's **** council estate or a townhouse/flat in the new town of edinburgh? hmmm....

It is easier to define an "average house" than an "averagely priced house" though. house types in the uk are pretty constant, it's the prices that lurch all over the place between areas. Same house in newcastle would triple in value if you just upped the bricks and dumped it in surrey.

I'd say your average house is pretty much spot on that coventry example - a 3-bedroomed 30's semi on a busy road. Posher than inner-city terracing and ex-council stock, but below bungalowland and insulated enclaves of newer private estate housing on the outskirts of towns. B*gger all to do with the fact i grew up in a 30's 3-bedroomed semi on a busy road you'll appreciate.

there's a lot of overlap in desireability (is that a word? it is now!) between those house types

A semi on a rough as a badger's **** council estate or a townhouse/flat in the new town of edinburgh? hmmm....

It is easier to define an "average house" than an "averagely priced house" though. house types in the uk are pretty constant, it's the prices that lurch all over the place between areas. Same house in newcastle would triple in value if you just upped the bricks and dumped it in surrey.

I'd say your average house is pretty much spot on that coventry example - a 3-bedroomed 30's semi on a busy road. Posher than inner-city terracing and ex-council stock, but below bungalowland and insulated enclaves of newer private estate housing on the outskirts of towns. B*gger all to do with the fact i grew up in a 30's 3-bedroomed semi on a busy road you'll appreciate.

whatever the average house is, its 6.5 times the average salary. Instead of 3.

The average house is one that costs the average prices. Simples

tim

average house depends on area, but iMHO In most of the country an average house is a semi detached looking like this, perhaps with a messier garden and not in such a good state

buyers_semidetached.jpg

If your in London the average price will be much higher, in some places the average price will be lower..

Edited by AteMoose