House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Which Tattoo Design?

And now for something completely different.... :)

I'm considering an upper arm tattoo soon. It won't be on show. It's more for my own "amusement". I'm torn between two designs. I've mocked them up in photoshop by adapting graphics I've found online.

For the hell of it (and some abuse) I'm asking here on HPC which design I should go for.

Psychedelic sun face

sun08psychedelic.jpg

Ocean view

sun05.jpg

I do like both, with the ocean view perhaps having the edge. But I hope the black part doesn't look like a gulf ocean oil slick!

Anyway, any opinion?

I dont like either...:ph34r:

But the bottom one is def better than the top one. If you got that one some people may think you were an advert for Sunny Delight.

Ask someone with "a skill for drawing" to spray a 50 mural on the side of your house, or etch a celtic pattern on the bonnet of your car with brake fluid.

If you like it - cool - drive around/live in your statement.

If you decide you dont like it after a few months, sell the house or buy a new car. Or pay for paint removal/ a new bonnet.

Either option will be cheaper and less painfull than a tattoo removal.

Your body is already a work of art. Totally unique to you - there isnt another one like it in the world.

It took years to make - millions of years to evolve.

Defacing it would be a bit like..........

Making bees purple and green because its cooler than black and yellow.

... it would be a bit like..........

Making bees purple and green because its cooler than black and yellow.

So, like, purely as a matter of curiosity, how might I, in theory, go about that?

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

And now for something completely different.... smile.gif

I'm considering an upper arm tattoo soon. It won't be on show. It's more for my own "amusement". I'm torn between two designs. I've mocked them up in photoshop by adapting graphics I've found online.

For the hell of it (and some abuse) I'm asking here on HPC which design I should go for.

Psychedelic sun face

sun08psychedelic.jpg

Ocean view

sun05.jpg

I do like both, with the ocean view perhaps having the edge. But I hope the black part doesn't look like a gulf ocean oil slick!

Anyway, any opinion?

If you like the design, why not wear it as a medallion.huh.gif That way you get to discard it when you tire of it. With a tattoo, you are stuck with it unless you shell out for lazer treatment.

PS I like both designs.smile.gif

Guest eight

Anyway, any opinion?

Yes. When walking around my provinicial town I often have cause to wonder how much money has gone out of my pocket direct to the tattoo parlour via our wonderful redistributive state.

That's not directed at you BTW.

And definitely the second one.

eight

Whilst I don't think that there is anything wrong with either design, I can't say I'd want either indelibly marked on my skin.

Though I did at some time in the past get my nipple pierced.

I still don't know why.

I've always put off having a tattoo until I could find one or think of one that had some relevance or personal meaning. A mate had his birds face tattooed on his arm about 15 years ago. It looks like Chewbacca now. Which is handy as his bird does too.

Well I will start by saying that, I am not a fan of tattoos as I see them as a bit naff I am afraid.

with respect to your question,

Whether I am right or wrong,

The first looks like a copy of a tarot card and the second like the design for a pair of Bermuda shorts. Both are probably too complicated as a tattoo unless they are quite large

I am always really curious as to WHY the general public want tattoos, I can see them as a mark of group membership such as the armed services, merchant navy, prison etc.

So WHY ?

Do you want to belong to a group, if so which, the 'tattooed populace' ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I often wonder if it is a drive to be an individual in a crowded urban world, how else would you explain the teenage girl that I saw with 5 realistic bullet holes tattooed on her chest from her neck down; it certainly wasn't attractive and while a good idea on the day...for the rest of her life ???

So, I see the present craze as a drive to be an individual that might have started with earrings, then to be an individual someone pierced their nose, then after general uptake of that it moved to the eyebrow to be unique, then elsewhere. When everywhere was pierced it became 'individual' to have a tattoo.

So, according to my theory, soon it will revert to 'au naturelle' to be unique.

When I worked in South Carolina in the mid 90's, branding was the craze among black youths, a fashion that I always found difficult to reconcile.

As an aside I once got hassled by a pack of youths in a precinct late at night. I was in a suit and they circled around me like a pack of hyenas. One had a tattoo on his forearm in Chinese script, so I called him Billy.

"Who you calling Billy",

"you, your names Billy"

"No i'aint its Wayne"

"But your tattoo says Billy"....

It was a wild wild guess and in hindsight it could have been inflammatory, but as his mates all took the 'P1SS I was able to walk out the precinct calmly.

Happy to be disabused of my theory BTW

IMHO most tattoos like bloody 'orrible, esp. when ppl have them during their youth, and by middle age they look 10 times worse. My stepbrother had one done when he was 15. My step mum tried to get the police on to the tattoo parlour, but they weren't interested. Another bloke I knew had his girlfriends name tattooed on his knuckles. He was only with her for three weeks.

Don't like either.

Tattoos can get nasty with age (don't they go greenish after a while?)

My whole body got nasty with age!

So the consensus is... a tattoo is crass and horrible :D

That's ok. I knew what the response would be by posting the topic here. Though I'm surprised by the passion of the naysayers. Surely a concealable tattoo is no big deal at all? I think they are far more socially acceptable than before.

Personally I'm interested in the artistic side of things and symbolism. A tattoo is often there to remind the owner of some important event in their life.

Anyway, just to spite you all maybe I should get one of these.... :lol:

wagontat.jpg

I know tons of people with tattoos, some with loads of the things, others with the discreet, one or two middle-class memento tattoos.

To be honest, unless they're keeping it well hid, they love the things, but they tend to be heavily steeped in alt-culture.

What worries me more is when quite young girls go tat crazy because they've just decided looking like a rockabilly pinup is fleetingly 'kewl'. If it's just a fashion statement you really don't want one.

Saw an interesting tattoo on a girl the other day - standard heavy metal grinning skull, but just above the cocyx, peeping out over the waistband. She had a nice sway of the hips - like a goose - so with every step the skull stretched to one side ... I should stop now, shouldn't I?