House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
what

When Will The Double Dip Happen ?

Hi All,

So there is talk about a double dip recession.

Does anyone know when this will happen ?

I want to ask because i am thinking of moving job and this will help me make up my decission.

I have to do this probation period all over again where rights go out the window.

Hi All,

I want to ask because i am thinking of moving job and this will help me make up my decission.

I have to do this probation period all over again where rights go out the window.

It already has, manipulation of statistics and printing of money has just papered over the cracks.

Hi All,

Bit of a bizarre question really. You don't get out of bed and you're in a double dip. It will happen gradually: maybe over a few months, if it happens.

Clearly we're at a real crossroads now - I think it's 50-50 whether we will double dip or not. Government cuts aren't helping though - whatever people say. Private sector jobs rely to some degree on the public sector too, so Oct 20 will be a turning point.

Is it public or private sector?

My guess is that it has started but is likely to proceed slowly over a long period of time. Unless we get some IR rises, I can't see real panic setting in but I hope the October cuts mixed in with the sheeps reaction to dropping prices will prove me wrong.

Hi All,

Depends what you mean by 'double dip'? If you mean when will we next have a quarter of negative growth, then I think Q3 2011 due to data lag and QE. But as I keep saying to HPCers and everyone I chat to about the economy - THIS IS NOT A 'NORMAL' RECESSION. It's a deflationary depression that will not seem as bad as say 73-75 or 90-92 but will drag on for far longer and there'll be many false dawns in the 'recovery'.

I know, I know, I'm banging my head against a brick wall as virtually everyone here sees inflation lurking everywhere. I'll believe them when I see wage increases....until then, no way.

The private sector never left the recession.

GDP is bolstered almost to the £ to get it positive with tax payers borrowing and spending.

Don't let the vagaries of economic forecasting affect your personal decisions. The UK will be in and of of technical and non-technical recessions (what we have now) for the next decade.

Hi All,

Edited by fallingbuzzard

This is right. I was there for the last few weeks and its far worse than I expected in the major cities and people there say that it isn't getting any better. The sub-prime and semi-prime borrowers just have crazy amounts of outstanding debt and overwhelming repayments. My cab driver in New York was paying $4,000 a month on his mortgage and behind on his personal taxes. Scary

The US still hasn't exited a recession, the official body which declares a recession hasn't called an end to it yet. So it could be there will be no double dip just a continuation of the first recession.

This is right. I was there for the last few weeks and its far worse than I expected in the major cities and people there say that it isn't getting any better. The sub-prime and semi-prime borrowers just have crazy amounts of outstanding debt and overwhelming repayments. My cab driver in New York was paying $4,000 a month on his mortgage and behind on his personal taxes. Scary

Can a cab driver earn over $4000 a month in the US?

That's just insane, $48k a year on mortgage repayments what the hell is the cabbie living in?

Edited by interestrateripoff

Hi All,

It started more than 6 months ago. It's just not showing clearly in the stats yet.

The real recession started back in 2000, everything since then has been fluff, dangerous fluff at that.

During that time pensions have been destroyed, industries too, both will never recover. Everything since 2000 has been dictated and poulltedd by cheap money - it is a smokescreen for a failed econmic policy and a runious road to unfettered trade, globalism and the outright and permanent destruction of living standards in most of the west.

The real recession started back in 2000, everything since then has been fluff, dangerous fluff at that.

During that time pensions have been destroyed, industries too, both will never recover. Everything since 2000 has been dictated and poulltedd by cheap money - it is a smokescreen for a failed econmic policy and a runious road to unfettered trade, globalism and the outright and permanent destruction of living standards in most of the west.

You might be able to take this back further and state it all started when Reagan took charge. Carter said the party was over America had to live within it's means Reagan said party on and started to ramp up the debt in the mid 80's. They bankrupted the USSR, it appears that they may have also bankrupted themselves.

Cold War - no score draw.