House Price Crash Forum
ken_ichikawa

Time For Injin World! / Red Alert ---Merged

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7985181/HMRC-could-take-direct-control-of-pay-cheques-after-tax-errors.html

I remember writing about this years ago and everybody dismissed me as a TFHer...

In effect it is Gordon Brown's Soviet Utopian dream, where HMRC takes 100% of your salary and then decides to give you a small stipend living allowance at the end of it...

Looks like Injin's prediction of a nasty state where the stealing becomes obvious will occur sooner than even he imagined.... (say btw what happened to the blonde maid of his avatar?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7985181/HMRC-could-take-direct-control-of-pay-cheques-after-tax-errors.html

I remember writing about this years ago and everybody dismissed me as a TFHer...

In effect it is Gordon Brown's Soviet Utopian dream, where HMRC takes 100% of your salary and then decides to give you a small stipend living allowance at the end of it...

Looks like Injin's prediction of a nasty state where the stealing becomes obvious will occur sooner than even he imagined.... (say btw what happened to the blonde maid of his avatar?)

boring! zzzzzzzz

Looks like Injin's prediction of a nasty state where the stealing becomes obvious will occur sooner than even he imagined....

When I read about this in the Torygraph, I felt sick.

Does it really make that much difference whether you receive your net salary from HMRC or direct from your employer?

Surely the big issue is how much HMRC take/retain, not how exactly the rest finds its way to you.

They are making a classic mistake.

They have created a system too complex to successfully operate. Instead of simplifying the system, they are attempting to add even more complexity to try and make it work.

As for HMRC taking your gross and giving you your net - will just force more and more high earners into limited companies / self employment.

Does it really make that much difference whether you receive your net salary from HMRC or direct from your employer?

Surely the big issue is how much HMRC take/retain, not how exactly the rest finds its way to you.

The problem is that government departments tend never to admit any wrong doing therefore they could easily overcharge you a lot of tax and you would have very little comeback against it.

There are numerous examples. James defeated the DVLA recently over SORN. James argued it was illegal due to the post rule in law. DVLA laughed at him and fined him a massive amount, James instead took the DVLA to court and dismantled the DVLA case.

Also how long until this is unified and linked with a system of illegal money demands? Say extortion... I mean council tax, how long till that comes out of your pay before you receive it also? A lot of my ex clients had funny affairs since they drifted around and lived onsite and thus paid no council tax....

HMRC computer would see your account not having council tax taken out of it and decide to garnish your salary before it hit your account. You want to dispute it? You call an 0845 number get put on hold for 2 years before they answer to correct it thats IF they acknowledge their fault which they often do not.

When I read about this in the Torygraph, I felt sick.

I have never felt more concerned about the power of the state. If ministers are considering this, then we really are in a mess.....it`s dire.

Edited by tiggerthetiger

Errr ... yes. I don't want the state to stand in-between my employer and payment for my labour. This type of move smacks of a centrally-planned economy; the kind of power HMRC, and therefore the state, would have over people would be immense.

It's one thing to pay tax and have HMRC make mistakes, but another thing entirely to have HMRC function as the conduit by which you get paid for your labour full stop.

The problem is that government departments tend never to admit any wrong doing therefore they could easily overcharge you a lot of tax and you would have very little comeback against it.

There are numerous examples. James defeated the DVLA recently over SORN. James argued it was illegal due to the post rule in law. DVLA laughed at him and fined him a massive amount, James instead took the DVLA to court and dismantled the DVLA case.

Also how long until this is unified and linked with a system of illegal money demands? Say extortion... I mean council tax, how long till that comes out of your pay before you receive it also? A lot of my ex clients had funny affairs since they drifted around and lived onsite and thus paid no council tax....

HMRC computer would see your account not having council tax taken out of it and decide to garnish your salary before it hit your account. You want to dispute it? You call an 0845 number get put on hold for 2 years before they answer to correct it thats IF they acknowledge their fault which they often do not.

They want to allocate you a bank account and a web page with all your details on it.

If you don't pay for something and don't explain why (say TV licence) then they will pay it for you by making the bank account they have allocated to you overdrawn.

After that it's easy to see where it goes - you want access to one of their monopoly services, step one is you pay off your "debt."

They want to allocate you a bank account and a web page with all your details on it.

If you don't pay for something and don't explain why (say TV licence) then they will pay it for you by making the bank account they have allocated to you overdrawn.

After that it's easy to see where it goes - you want access to one of their monopoly services, step one is you pay off your "debt."

Yup what I said, say what about the avatar?

Indeed, the most recent proof of which is the news about 6 million miscalculated PAYE accounts.

If they can't get it right now, what makes anyone think they can get it right tomorrow? Having your money paid directly to HMRC just makes their mistakes less painful for them and more painful for you, the aggrieved taxpayer.

Maybe they could just accidently take everyones wages ... that would knock the deficit down pretty quickly. Once the mistake is realised they could pay it back interest free, in say 2-3 years.

If you've ever had a payment problem with a government department then you'll know why this is such a bad idea.

If they can't get it right now, what makes anyone think they can get it right tomorrow? Having your money paid directly to HMRC just makes their mistakes less painful for them and more painful for you, the aggrieved taxpayer.

But would this be enough for people to sharpen their pitchforks and oil their AK47s and march on London?

If you've ever had a payment problem with a government department then you'll know why this is such a bad idea.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, only that people seem outraged by this, but quite accepting that the government takes about half their income in taxes.

I'd happily let HMRC deduct the tax, if at the same time they halved my tax bill.

My problem with the UK tax system is far more about how much they take than how they take it.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, only that people seem outraged by this, but quite accepting that the government takes about half their income in taxes.

I'd happily let HMRC deduct the tax, if at the same time they halved my tax bill.

My problem with the UK tax system is far more about how much they take than how they take it.

Isn't the concern about the abuse of power and liberty issues. Why should the state know all about

us? frankly this is trending towards "1984" stuff.

to be fair. it makes much more sense to pay them what each person earned gross. let them work out the tax and then kick out the net pay back to employee. otherwise you have to do it in house. it seems much easier to let them do the tax on employees. it may have shades of big brother, but it seems to be a make sense idea to me.

to be fair. it makes much more sense to pay them what each person earned gross. let them work out the tax and then kick out the net pay back to employee. otherwise you have to do it in house. it seems much easier to let them do the tax on employees. it may have shades of big brother, but it seems to be a make sense idea to me.

So what happens if they make a mistake or don't pay in to your account on time and then take weeks or months to sort it out???

So what happens if they make a mistake or don't pay in to your account on time and then take weeks or months to sort it out???

They deny responsibilty leading to bank overdraft charges.

If you complain you'll be labelled as a kiddy fiddler.

Quite incredible that people are advocating this.

If it was to come in, which is won't, then I'd become a contractor overnight.

The state has no place putting themselves in between an employee and their employer when it comes to being paid for the work you have done.

I nearly swerved off the road in anger today when I heard they will be taking £100 per month direct from peoples pay packets! Because of their own mistake! Absolutely scandalous!

Edited by pete.hpc