House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Meanwhile Over At Mse

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2711157

"We've had an offer on our house of 10% lower than the valuation. It's been on the market for under 2 months. The potential buyers are adamant that they can't go any higher although I'm sure this line must be peddaled a few times (?).

Anyone recommend any strategies for squeezing low offers higher? "

Yeah...f**king accept it and accept you're luck to find a buyer the banking system and country has economically collapse what do you expect you moron....

"We've had an offer on our house of 10% lower than the valuation. It's been on the market for under 2 months. The potential buyers are adamant that they can't go any higher although I'm sure this line must be peddaled a few times (?).

Yeah...f**king accept it and accept you're luck to find a buyer the banking system and country has economically collapse what do you expect you moron....

Count,

its only business. If you want something, you have every right to try and pay as little as possible, and as a seller, you have every right to try and get as much as you can. If you offer too little as a buyer, or demand too much as a seller, you dont get a transaction.

Thats the rules of the game, and both sides have a right to play the game.

Mind you, I am secretly hoping that this seller who is trying to squeeze low offers higher, ends up being squeezed lower themselves.

Count,

its only business. If you want something, you have every right to try and pay as little as possible, and as a seller, you have every right to try and get as much as you can. If you offer too little as a buyer, or demand too much as a seller, you dont get a transaction.

Mind you, I am secretly hoping that this seller who is trying to squeeze low offers higher, ends up being squeezed lower themselves.

I know that, you know that...he doesnt...he believes his house is worth what some E.A. told him it was worth....funny really :lol:

Count,

I'm sure they will. 10% off is a good offer I'm this Market and not cheeky in the slightest! If they are not going to accept offers like that then a few months time they will be kicking themselves and having to reduce the asking price. Either that or as you say, no transaction.

I've offered 10% under the asking price a few times and always been turned down. In several cases, the vendor has gone on to receive very close to full asking price. So things aren't as black and white as you bears make out on here.

2 months? Offer? 10% down?

Sounds like a house that was sensibly-priced in the first place. No blame for asking the question.

I've offered 10% under the asking price a few times and always been turned down. In several cases, the vendor has gone on to receive very close to full asking price. So things aren't as black and white as you bears make out on here.

If the property is realistically priced to begin with then I'd expect it to get the asking price.

If it's not, then they won't.

It's not fecking rocket science.

I offered 10% less on a property the other day the agent came back and said they have increased the price by 20k!

When was that, though?

I've had the same happen, but the last house we offered on (10% under asking price) rejected, and we didn't put in another offer. Now, 5 months later, the asking price is what we offered :P

I haven't even bothered going to look at properties until this week. If I saw a place I really liked reasonably priced I would probably have a stab at offering 10% lower than asking price. In time, assuming all pans out as we expect, I will probably venture 20% below. There is still a huge variation in asking prices reflecting the level of awareness among sellers. A lot of the price reductions appear to be the unrealistic sellers getting real.

Edited by Reluctant Heretic

Judging by the comments on that thread there's quite a few HPCers over there nowadays, or - one can only hope - people are actually becoming realistic...

We're the closest ever to putting an offer in on a few places and I'll admit we're concerned that we'll be rejected even @ 10% off. Not concerned in a fearing rejection sort of way, more that we've finally found something affordable (if you consider a 35% mortgage at 2x my salary affordable) and we don't want to lose it due to a stubborn seller.

I feel slightly better after reading that thread.

Edit: Speeling

Edited by OMG

I've been monitoring the asking/sold prices on 500 local houses for two years. These lie in an above average area of Poole, Dorset, close to all desiderata.

No house that has actually sold in this time has achieved asking price. Drops from asking run from 2% - 20%.

Edited by juvenal

If the property is realistically priced to begin with then I'd expect it to get the asking price.

If it's not, then they won't.

It's not fecking rocket science.

I think it would be quite normal to ask around 10% off the asking price at the moment. 20% is probably too much off, unless you knew something about the desperation of the seller.

And you wouldnt want to go in at full price or above, unless you got wind of the fact that you are in a bidding war. That can happen, even during a general fall in property prices. Sometimes two people just gotta have the same house, it happens.

Right now, I think I would advise someone to put their house on at a realistic price, expecting to get offers about 10% under the advertised price, and negotiate for 7 1/2% off that advertised price, you should be able to achieve that.

Of course, if you get no offers, you gotta drop the asking price by say 5%, and take it from there. But if you get a bidding war, great, raise the bar. As a seller I would have no problems milking competing buyers for every penny that they want to throw at me.

Is this "I can't go any higher" a necessary tactic in house buying? If and when I ever buy a house in my time on this earth I was planning on relying on "I won't go any higher"... or do sellers withhold out of spite if you don't kowtow them with a sob story?

Is this "I can't go any higher" a necessary tactic in house buying? If and when I ever buy a house in my time on this earth I was planning on relying on "I won't go any higher"... or do sellers withhold out of spite if you don't kowtow them with a sob story?

I always use the 'won't go any higher'. I think to a large degree vendors listen to the advice of their agent and I'm not sure the agent always gives the full picture to their client. My 'won't go any higher' could easily be passed on to the vendor, via the agent, as 'can't go any higher', if the agent feels that's the best way to get the vendor to agree to the sale (and for the agent to get his commission).

I'd always use 'can't go any higher' if you say won't it means you've got the money you're just being stubborn and the vendors/agent may try calling your bluff to see if you come back.

But if you say 'we are mortgaged to the ********, cashed in my pension and even robbed my nan to make this offer!' then it shows that under no circumstances will there be a higher offer from you.

Edited by Pent Up

Has anybody pointed out to the seller that house prices have fallen, on average, by about 1% since they listed their property?, and probably about another 1% since the offer was made?

They need to snap their hand off asap, else the valuation from the mortgager will be even less and they will be at severe risk of gazundering.

Yet ;)

had a very depressing ( but illuminating of the denial phase) conversation with an EA yesterday re a house on at a fixed price. The reason they were using a fixed price figure (at the vendors request) was that the valuations were all higher than this fixed price figure so they (the vendors) were confident of getting the 435K they have fixed the price at. Priceless :o

Edited by olliegog

had a very depressing ( but illuminating of the denial phase) conversation with an EA yesterday re a house on at a fixed price. The reason they were using a fixed price figure (at the vendors request) was that the valuations were all higher than this fixed price figure so they (the vendors) were confident of getting the 435K they have fixed the price at. Priceless :o

Surely 'Offers over 435k' then..

£435k is quite a lot of money. You could build at least 8 average semis for that.. I assume it's a huge pad in the country..?

Judging by the comments on that thread there's quite a few HPCers over there nowadays, or - one can only hope - people are actually becoming realistic...

Or maybe just one with several accounts? :)

Or maybe just one with several accounts? :)

Is that a confession? :P

Personally I think HPCers should leave those threads alone. There is no point trying to argue with them and it is useful to see sellers' mentality.

But if you say 'we are mortgaged to the ********, cashed in my pension and even robbed my nan to make this offer!' then it shows that under no circumstances will there be a higher offer from you.

It also says 'we may struggle to complete'. In the current market I'd always prefer to sell to someone who is in a strong financial position, even if meant accepting a slightly lower price.

Surely 'Offers over 435k' then..

£435k is quite a lot of money. You could build at least 8 average semis for that.. I assume it's a huge pad in the country..?

435k will not get you a 3 bed semi in many Outer London suburbs. Where I live it will get you a modest detached house - probably on an estate.

In Normandy it would get you a small farm.

Is that a confession? :P

Personally I think HPCers should leave those threads alone. There is no point trying to argue with them and it is useful to see sellers' mentality.

+1

Especially the house selling 'support' thread. It's good to see some many struggling to sell but it doesn't help having the odd HPCer rampaging in every now and then.