House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Whats Your Daily Commute Distance.

My commutes have always been fairy tame - 4 miles the closest, 20 miles the furthest, although that was mostly on a stretch of clear dual carriageway, so not too bad.

A few years back I knew a guy how commuted from Clacton to Cambridge every day, about 90miles on the A12/A14 each way. A another guy i know does Brighton to London by car about 75-80miles on the A23,M25,M4, not nice i wouldnt have thought.

This guy does 186 miles each way

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2006/04/10/daily41.html

From 2000 - 2002, I commuted daily from the Isle of Wight To Paddington. It took around 3.25 hours each way, depending on the unreliability of South West Trains. It involved:

Car

• Walk to ferry terminal
  • Ferry to Southampton
  • Bus from ferry to station
  • Train to Waterloo
  • Tube to Paddington
  • Walk to the office.

It was a great job, but the constant tiredness got me down, so I got a job in Southampton. 6 weeks after I started there, I had a major stroke. Let that be a warning to all those of you commuting too far.

From 2000 - 2002, I commuted daily from the Isle of Wight To Paddington. It took around 3.25 hours each way, depending on the unreliability of South West Trains. It involved:

Car

• Walk to ferry terminal
  • Ferry to Southampton
  • Train to Waterloo
  • Tube to Paddington
  • Walk to the office.

It was a great job, but the constant tiredness got me down, so I got a job in Southampton. 6 weeks after I started there, I had a major stroke. Let that be a warning to all those of you commuting too far.

I just quadrupled mine from half a mile to two.On the plus side I disposed of the stately pile just in time.

Been 15 miles each way for long time, mostly m-way but now looking at 10 each way through the countryside for a couple of years so no real complaints here

Been 15 miles each way for long time, mostly m-way but now looking at 10 each way through the countryside for a couple of years so no real complaints here

Oil Drum Lane just off the M3 now is it?

Car

• Walk to ferry terminal
  • Ferry to Southampton
  • Train to Waterloo
  • Tube to Paddington
  • Walk to the office.

Sounds like you should have stayed working in London...

To OP: How about sticking a set of times up as well? My commute may only be 16miles but is generally well over 1 hour each way.

My commutes have always been fairy tame - 4 miles the closest, 20 miles the furthest, although that was mostly on a stretch of clear dual carriageway, so not too bad.

A few years back I knew a guy how commuted from Clacton to Cambridge every day, about 90miles on the A12/A14 each way. A another guy i know does Brighton to London by car about 75-80miles on the A23,M25,M4, not nice i wouldnt have thought.

This guy does 186 miles each way

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2006/04/10/daily41.html

About 1.75 KM direct line

Walk = 20 minutes (fairly direct)

Bike = 5 minutes (fairly direct)

Car = 4 minutes (3.5KM, not so direct, but nice scenery and only one set of lights)

To OP: How about sticking a set of times up as well? My commute may only be 16miles but is generally well over 1 hour each way.

Yeah that's the important thing, for me in the car it's 9 miles, however if I get the train I have to go in to London and then back out again.

That 9 miles in the car takes around an hour, a similar time by train however I have to take 3 trains each way so there is a fair amount of messing about involved.

I switch between car and train from week to week, it is significantly cheaper in the car but most of time I'm sitting idle in the traffic, it has been total murder during the school holidays as they have been tons of road works which a significant part of my route totally closed off, now the schools are back we still have those road works AND tons of school traffic. I'm back on the train for a few weeks, I will give the car a go after that to see if they have finished some of the road works.

I was going to add, if I lived in Holland it would be a no brainer and I would cycle, I'd love to do that here but I have to go over Crystal Palace Hill which is basically 2 miles up hill all the way.

My commute is about 3 miles, but due to 'traffic calming'* measures on the outskirts at my side of the city, this can take forever - especially now the schools are back.

* why do they call it traffic calming? It makes my mood anything but calm.

Varies,

My current crappy jobs it is about 12 minutes on the bicycles, my other crappy job is 15 minutes on bicycle and 25 mins back (it is uphill on the way back)

My city centre job was 11 miles and took 23 minutes.

My stockport job was 24 miles and took 25 minutes.

My plymouth job was nuts it was 70 miles in 72 on the way out to and from Falmouth in the middle of winter.. I learnt to ride fast because of this, I managed to get the time down to about an hour each way after a couple of weeks. Considering you have to go through the middle of Truro and or Indian Queens it was quite fast.

Currently considering the 80 mile round trip job, all my fellow bikers are telling me not to take it except for two, both of which have massive touring bikes where you don't feel the cold and wind on them.

Yeah that's the important thing, for me in the car it's 9 miles, however if I get the train I have to go in to London and then back out again.

That 9 miles in the car takes around an hour, a similar time by train however I have to take 3 trains each way so there is a fair amount of messing about involved.

I switch between car and train from week to week, it is significantly cheaper in the car but most of time I'm sitting idle in the traffic, it has been total murder during the school holidays as they have been tons of road works which a significant part of my route totally closed off, now the schools are back we still have those road works AND tons of school traffic. I'm back on the train for a few weeks, I will give the car a go after that to see if they have finished some of the road works.

I used to mix train and car until work required me to go to two locations a day a couple of days a week. Car is cheaper and less hassle, although roadworks up to mid-summer were dreadful (not so much money being thrown at them now!).

Car is also less time, but during the week I miss out on about 10 miles walking with a monkey on my back (I give piggy backs to monkeys for a living).

My commute is about 3 miles, but due to 'traffic calming'* measures on the outskirts at my side of the city, this can take forever - especially now the schools are back.

* why do they call it traffic calming? It makes my mood anything but calm.

There's this amazing device called a bicycle that laughs in the face of traffic calming. You should try it sometime -- 3 miles is easily within cycle commuting distance & you'll probably find that it takes less time than driving.

(assuming you're physically able to cycle that is: obviously pretty pointless if not)

There's this amazing device called a bicycle that laughs in the face of traffic calming. You should try it sometime -- 3 miles is easily within cycle commuting distance & you'll probably find that it takes less time than driving.

(assuming you're physically able to cycle that is: obviously pretty pointless if not)

Bicycles are dangerous, also you sweat horribly and thus need a wash twice a day!

Four miles 7.45am little traffic, leisurely listen to the radio...or sing out loud to a few tunes... park the car and a nice early morning refreshing walk with my walkman mp3 player, popping in to buy a paper...

edit: can't keep up with technology names. ;)

Car

• Walk to ferry terminal
  • Ferry to Southampton
  • Train to Waterloo
  • Tube to Paddington
  • Walk to the office.

total fookin madness

My daily commute is about 20 feet. From my bedroom door to downstairs spare room/office.

Life is hard...

Did that for about six months, drove me up the wall, never again.

I like to be either at home or at work. Happy with both but wish to keep them separate.

I live a 10 minute walk away from work. Know some people who have commutes that take up 3 hours of their day or more - don't think I would last long like that.

I was going to add, if I lived in Holland it would be a no brainer and I would cycle, I'd love to do that here but I have to go over Crystal Palace Hill which is basically 2 miles up hill all the way.

That's not a hill! If you find it hard work, I expect that's because you're on some Halfords pile-of-junk. Get a decent bike, and offset £1k cost against your travel costs by any other means!

My daily commute is about 20 feet. From my bedroom door to downstairs spare room/office.

Life is hard...

Mine's in that ballpark, but no stairs required.

I miss the discipline of a few miles onna bike twice a day. Yes I do get out there, but often just once in a day, and when the bike needs maintenance I tend to leave it much longer than when it was my daily commute.

I find 3 miles way too little for a commute. In a sense it's worst-of-both-worlds. It's enough to merit getting the wheels out, but if it's all you do, you feel grotty and flabby, so you still need the discipline of something more.

ISTR when I was commuting Bath to Bristol, that was about break-even point where journey times were the same by bike or car. The motorbike shaved a few minutes off that, but lacked the feel-better factor of the bike.