House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

6.1 Million Employed In The Public Sector

Of course the percentages range wildly around the country. There was a news piece on BBC Points West yesterday about how 40% of jobs in Taunton were public-sector based. Bloody crazy...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3127461/One-in-three-employed-by-public-sector-in-some-parts-of-UK.html

A THIRD of jobs in some parts of the UK are in the public sector, it emerged yesterday. The relentless growth of taxpayer-funded State work under Labour has created a damaging North-South divide. Nearly one in three people in Northern Ireland are employed by the state - the highest figure in the UK. By contrast, just one in six jobs in the South East are bankrolled by taxpayers.

The figures - published by the Office for National Statistics - will fuel fears that huge swathes of Britain are now dependent on public sector work. More than 27 per cent of people in Wales work for the State - while the figure in the North East and Scotland is one in four.

And despite the recession the number of State jobs is actually going UP.

Over the past year it rose to an astonishing 6.1MILLION. The number working for the NHS increased by 4.2 per cent to 1.63million, while 1.42million work in education - up 0.5 per cent. Another 1.2million pen-pushers work in "public administration" - 0.4 per cent more than last year. The Treasury said last night that Ministers are determined to boost private sector jobs in the North. They launched a scheme that means new firms outside London, the South East and East of England get a National Insurance holiday worth up to £50,000 in their first year.

Treasury Minister David Gauke said: "Our economy has become over-reliant on public spending."

What is the correct level of public sector employment, and how do you reach this figure.

It depends on what services the public sector should and shouldn't provide...for me, the priority is to protect the most vulnerable in society...So, for instance, is a new school playground more important that several health outreach workers working with those with mental problems?

I fear that those at the lowest end of society will be hit hardest during these cuts...

What is the correct level of public sector employment, and how do you reach this figure.

Lots of "right answers" to this, lots of wrong ones too. One hypothetical answer might be that public sector employment should be related to taxation level of the private sector, which after all pays for the public. So, let's say average income/corporation tax is 25%, which is obviously used to provide public services. From this 20% you would subtract benefits plus the material purchases to provide these services (eg. hospital beds, rubbish trucks, traffic lights, etc.). Whatever is left should be to arrange for the delivery and operation of those services - ie the actual public sector workforce, let's call it 10% (finger in the air, I know, as I haven't looked at the tax take numbers but the logic is there). So, public sector workforce should be 10% in size compared to private sector workforce!

I can't see how anything else is sustainable.

Of course, a counterargument would be to put up taxes. :rolleyes:

I know it all a bit controversial....... but what about the level that people are prepared to pay, without the need of threats and force etc.

it is so fecking evil now that many of the ones who are to pay aren't born yet.

When the budget balances?

So how many of these 6million are needed to "police" the private sector, i.e tax investigators , regulatory bods and environmental health workers.

Perhaps if Business were a little bit more honest then that would cut the numbers down a bit?

There was a news piece on BBC Points West yesterday about how 40% of jobs in Taunton were public-sector based. Bloody crazy...

Boo! We need less teachers and nurses and more bankers and accountants in this country.

Boo! We need less teachers and nurses and more bankers and accountants in this country.

No no

Its more like the private sector want to sack any public sector bod that is watching what they do.

if Businesses were self regulating we would be eating paper mache and calling it bread! lmao

... the private sector, which after all pays for the public.

Everyone who works pays for both, either through buying stuff or directly/indirectly through taxation

Someone working in the public sector with their own mobile phone is paying for the mobile phone company. As is the public sector organisation they work for, if it gives its staff mobile phones. And you get public sector organisations offering commercial services, and private sector companies doing research projects directly for the Govt

it's an integrated system - just saying that the private sector pays entirely and discretely for the public sector ignore all the cross-linking.

I know it all a bit controversial....... but what about the level that people are prepared to pay, without the need of threats and force etc.

Me, I'm prepared to pay all my bills, public or private. It's only fair.

Precisely. I tire of all this public sector bashing.

Seems like a lot of people believe the crap that appears in the Mail, Sun etc.

Don't forget - it's banking deregulation that caused all this. Last time I looked, they were in the private sector. The public sector makes a great scape goat.

Everyone who works pays for both, either through buying stuff or directly/indirectly through taxation

Someone working in the public sector with their own mobile phone is paying for the mobile phone company. As is the public sector organisation they work for, if it gives its staff mobile phones. And you get public sector organisations offering commercial services, and private sector companies doing research projects directly for the Govt

it's an integrated system - just saying that the private sector pays entirely and discretely for the public sector ignore all the cross-linking.

Yes it's an integrated system, the public sector take from the private sector and in return they provide them with essential services like taxation and regulation.

What could possibly go wrong?

When the budget balances?

Couldn't put it better..

To add to that

The 'service' I get from the Revenue and other public sector organisations is shoddy to say the least, they wouldn't last in the private sector with their errors, miscalculations, arrogance and repetitive sending out of letters, statements and endless waste

It's all very well saying they are an easy target, that doesn't mean they can't be made more efficient

Don't forget - it's banking deregulation that caused all this. Last time I looked, they were in the private sector. The public sector makes a great scape goat.

Really? Last time I looked all the banks were government owned, and who made the great decision to nationalise these enormous liabilities.....? The state. Private finance wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Edited by Chef

blimey how long ago was it you last looked?

But public sector has been unaffordable and growing at needless rates for a long time now Public sector pensions are unaffordable no matter what the bankers done, they are most certainly part of the problem.

But when youve one sided trade agreements to the detriment of British proles with most of the Eastern hemisphere, creating private sector jobs is difficult.

Edited by BuyInOxford

zero.

Except for security.

What do you propose we do with them all then? There's no private sector jobs to give them.

I agree too many people work in the public sector - but I don't see the government doing anything new to help create private sector jobs to replace them (e.g. tax breaks to attract investment).

If no-one has a job, anarchy would follow and then they will just take what you have by force. What a mess we are in.

Yes it's an integrated system, the public sector take from the private sector and in return they provide them with essential services like taxation and regulation.

Except of course it's all a bit more nuanced than that. Not that that is something that helps i this particular "debate" ;)

A fried of mine is a teacher in the private sector....they teach children at home after school what they should have been taught during the day inside school....how can that be right? ;)

London has High unemployment, low economic activity, high economic

inactivity and low overall employment.

London has the lowest employment rate of all regional areas (apart from

Northern Ireland )

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=1944

The Q1 2010 public sector estimate is 28,000 higher than the same quarter a year ago.

A regional analysis of public sector employment (see Table 6) shows that London is the region with

the largest number of employees (782,000) followed by the North West (696,000), the South East

(694,000) and Scotland (610,000).

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/Product.asp?vlnk=13615&Pos=&ColRank=1&Rank=422

London

As a proportion of all who are in employment it was one of the lowest with 17.8% in 2008 , the highest being

Northern Irelend 28.8% the second highest is Wales 23.9%

As a proportion of total resident population it was just higher than the UK average of about 10% in 2008

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/article.asp?ID=2276

Edited by northwestsmith2

A friend of mine is a teacher in the private sector....they teach children at home after school what they should have been taught during the day inside school....how can that be right? ;)

edit: spelling mistake...should have tried harder. :P

I've worked in the public sector, and there is a lot of waste. When I left (beginning of 2003), all jobs were going under a pay review. The review only finished a couple of years ago, according to a friend who works there..

There's been various crappy statues that have been commissioned in my area...should public money be spent on such niceties?