House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Bart'

Is There Such A Thing As A Really Good Artificial Sweetener

As someone who likes sugar in his coffee (3 spoonfuls) and lots of coffee throughout the day, I do worry that one day I will be forced, for health reasons, to switch to an artificial sweeteners.

Now my dad was a type 2 diabetic and he had those Canderel type things in his coffee. I tried them once and they were FOUL. :o

Now this is more than 20 years ago, so have things improved since then? Is there now a brand of artificial sweetener worth trying?

As someone who likes sugar in his coffee (3 spoonfuls) and lots of coffee throughout the day, I do worry that one day I will be forced, for health reasons, to switch to an artificial sweeteners.

Gradually cut down on the sugar. I sometimes have a sweet coffee, but really it's so much better without. You can do it, it's only a habit. Same with salt.

Gradually cut down on the sugar. I sometimes have a sweet coffee, but really it's so much better without. You can do it, it's only a habit. Same with salt.

Many years ago I used to have 5 spoonfuls in coffee, I doubt if I could drink it that sweet nowadays.

So you drink coffee flavored syrup in the morning?

Some of us need the stuff to start functioning properly.

I will add to the number of people lecturing but not actually answering the question.....

Cut down on the sugar until you stop it. I used to drink coffee with sugar (but not tea) and decided it was bad for me so stopped it. It made the coffee taste foul for a few months but you then hit the point where you get used to it and enjoy it without, and actively dislike it with sugar in.

I will add to the number of people lecturing but not actually answering the question.....

Cut down on the sugar until you stop it. I used to drink coffee with sugar (but not tea) and decided it was bad for me so stopped it. It made the coffee taste foul for a few months but you then hit the point where you get used to it and enjoy it without, and actively dislike it with sugar in.

Exactly my experience. I don't think it's lecturing by the way - he did ask a related question and knows himself that 3 spoons of sugar several times a day is not a good idea - in other words he's asking for a push. Substitute sugar is one way to go, completely cutting out artificial sweetening of your drinks is the other, simpler solution.

I liked these things for a while, and now can hardly drink them they taste so artificial and chemically:

grocery_A10100.6_e.jpg

I used to drink coffee with sugar (but not tea) and decided it was bad for me so stopped it. It made the coffee taste foul for a few months but you then hit the point where you get used to it and enjoy it without, and actively dislike it with sugar in.

I've known people who've said that about tea.

Ultimately I guess that is the answer.

in other words he's asking for a push.

I think you're right. I'm the type that has to be forced into doing something, even something sensible, usually by external stimuli.

I'm far too fond of my own personal status quo.

Do you have your coffee with milk in it? I find black coffee without sugar more palatable than white with no sugar. Someone once told me that milk does actually make it a more bitter drink. Nowadays, I never have sugar in tea, and sometimes put one in the coffee, but I dont drink that much coffee in comparison to my large (5 cups a day during the week) tea habit.

Be careful Bart - aspartame and saccharin have both been banned at various points in time due to what happened in the clinical trials to animals.

It's a very, very, very big industry and has lobbyists all over.

I'd go with weaning off sugar and not do the sweeteners.

Do you have your coffee with milk in it?

I have lots of CoffeeMate, which is unfortunately not very good if you've got type 2 diabetes (I don't think I have but sugar and CoffeeMate together don't look to be a good mix.)

Be careful Bart - aspartame and saccharin have both been banned at various points in time due to what happened in the clinical trials to animals.

Looks like it's a case of all or nothing at all.

No sugar, no whitener, can I chop an arm off instead? :(

I have lots of CoffeeMate, which is unfortunately not very good if you've got type 2 diabetes (I don't think I have but sugar and CoffeeMate together don't look to be a good mix.)

Looks like it's a case of all or nothing at all.

No sugar, no whitener, can I chop an arm off instead? :(

Coffee mate is grim, just start drinking it black, after a little while you'll wonder what you were doing adding that horrible powder to your beverage.

Coffee mate is grim

I love the stuff and prefer it to milk but a quick look on Google shows that it's a mix of all sorts of undesirable stuff.

I use Silver Spoon'sHalf Spoon. It's a mix of sugar and sweetener but I have about 1/4 in a cup of tea now compared to a whole sugar previously.

If I get a cup with sugar in by mistake now I nearly spit it out.

Splenda is fine for you and tastes just like sugar. I usually have 5 per cup. About a penny per tablet.

Plus 1.

Don't like sweet coffee but I'd quite happily put splenda on my cornflakes. Literally.