House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Face Book

I received an email from Face Book on behalf of an acquaintance inviting me to register as he wanted me to join to view his photos and be a friend. No problem as he must have submitted my email address to Face Book.

Here`s the worrying bit I was also informed by Face Book of people I know having my email address who were registered on Face Book and when I register could view their pages.

I rang each one asking if they had given my email address to Face Book, no, not one of them had given it.

Well the only explanation I can think of is when logged in to Face Book they lift off your email contact list without your knowledge or consent.

Can anyone here give a better explanation? :rolleyes:

BTW I won`t touch these Social Network sites with a barge pole.

I received an email from Face Book on behalf of an acquaintance inviting me to register as he wanted me to join to view his photos and be a friend. No problem as he must have submitted my email address to Face Book.

Here`s the worrying bit I was also informed by Face Book of people I know having my email address who were registered on Face Book and when I register could view their pages.

I rang each one asking if they had given my email address to Face Book, no, not one of them had given it.

Well the only explanation I can think of is when logged in to Face Book they lift off your email contact list without your knowledge or consent.

when you join facebook, you join with an email address as your login address and facebook has arrangements with all the major email providers like gmail, yahoo etc to access your address book to 'find your friends'. your friend must have agreed to let facebook look for friends in facebook thus letting them access your address

that is what could have happenned

Recently, FB has had a big drive to get people to find friends by searching their email accounts. Seems like a good strategy to pull more people in.

Recently, FB has had a big drive to get people to find friends by searching their email accounts. Seems like a good strategy to pull more people in.

'i'm lying on me sofa watching tv'

'here's me with jenny in ny'

'here's me with jenny in las vegas'

'went for a walk and saw this... (photo attached)'

'just had some lovely pizza'

'went out last night (photo attached)'

facebook is soooo boring...it wears me out.

'i'm lying on me sofa watching tv'

'here's me with jenny in ny'

'here's me with jenny in las vegas'

'went for a walk and saw this... (photo attached)'

'just had some lovely pizza'

'went out last night (photo attached)'

facebook is soooo boring...it wears me out.

+1 - dipped my toe in a few months back - quickly withdrew when weirdos I'd never heard of from California wanted to be my "fwend"...

Pure nonsense aimed at emotionally weak and insecure people.

+1 - dipped my toe in a few months back - quickly withdrew when weirdos I'd never heard of from California wanted to be my "fwend"...

Pure nonsense aimed at emotionally weak and insecure people.

Yeah, but you're only saying that cos you haven't got 67,321 "friends" and you are so unpopular and I am so popular and is that not twue?

:lol::lol::lol: How true for many of those on Face Book.

I must admit I find it absolutely frightening just how careless people are with their identities for the sake of being "popular".

It smacks of regression and reeks of accidents waiting to happen.

Yeah, it's completely useless. Who would want to stay in touch with their friends and family, be able to organise nights out and be kept informed of upcoming gigs and events through an easy to use medium?

Posing barstewards!

Yeah, it's completely useless. Who would want to stay in touch with their friends and family, be able to organise nights out and be kept informed of upcoming gigs and events through an easy to use medium?

Posing barstewards!

I have a better way to stay in touch with friends and family - I call them, I talk to them, I visit them.... you know - the whole human experience thing.

The generational divide of our times

Facebook or not Facebook

It's far more profound than Boomer/X/Y; you're either of the generation that is immersed in living its life that way or you aren't. No point raging against it.

it is scary how much detail is put on facebook . like a friend of mine considers himself a jet setter (he is a cattle classer) because he travels a lot and likes posting messages like hello from australia, china etc , or posting from this or that airport. i guess i makes him feel a bit glamorous. to me it is just depressing spending a couple of days in one country and rushing to the next. of course there are those with the house remodelling pics, holiday pics etc. so much information just available for all and sundry to see.

The generational divide of our times

Facebook or not Facebook

It's far more profound than Boomer/X/Y; you're either of the generation that is immersed in living its life that way or you aren't. No point raging against it.

Heh I had a face book account 5ish years ago, I then deleted it.... or so I thought, 3 months ago I reactivated it to hawk my book. I think the biggie issues are:

addition where people need to post their status updates constantly even for mundane things

addition where people get upset if others do not acknowledge them to their own levels of addition.

faking it whereby to look good in front of others people lie massively

Also devaluing of friends.

It's far more profound than Boomer/X/Y; you're either of the generation that is immersed brainwashed into living its life that way or you aren't. No point raging against it.

Most people use it, because others use it. It isn't a personal choice.

Facebook is the ultimate BigBrother. People are reporting every single activity/thought/plan.

The collective model of communication is alien to me. On Facebook you're always speaking to a group, so in fact you're speaking to no one. Facebook's conversations are speeches to a group. It's a series of public statements. What's the point?

And the most peculiar of all is the 'like' button... So infantile really... And why there's no 'dislike/disagree' button?

Guest eight

Facebook is the ultimate BigBrother. People are reporting every single activity/thought/plan.

The collective model of communication is alien to me. On Facebook you're always speaking to a group, so in fact you're speaking to no one. Facebook's conversations are speeches to a group. It's a series of public statements. What's the point?

And the most peculiar of all is the 'like' button... So infantile really... And why there's no 'dislike/disagree' button?

Does anybody else remember the poster 50%deposit?

He thought that social networking sites were a massive government conspiracy, and that everybody got their own individual version of them. Barking, but in a very entertaining way. This is his website.

eight

Too true. Friend of mine was forced to join when her grown-up daughter went travelling and informed her mother that she couldn't be bothered to email her - she'd have to join FB if she wanted to keep track.

Lazy little baggage - I'd have had something to say. My elder has worked abroad for yrs on and off and keeps in touch with most of her friends via FB, but can still spare a few minutes to email the wrinklies.

Look, it'll only hurt more if you struggle..

I have a better way to stay in touch with friends and family - I call them, I talk to them, I visit them.... you know - the whole human experience thing.

Yeah, but nowadays, life is so hectic, and you have so little free time that you need all the help in the world you can get to keep in touch with your 87,456 firends AND see you family AND go to gigs AND see all the latest films AND go on great days out AND catch the game.

Like I say, I work so hard.

Posing barstewards!

well i'll back up facebook as well.

#1 - it's free

#2 - store all your photo's and share them with ppl.

#3 - inbox feature has replaced email.

#4 - events feature is brilliant. and to be honest, i feel sad for the one or two of my mates who aren't on FB. cos they miss so many events.

#5 - never been easier to talk to girls who you know well - and who you dont know well.

#6 - fb chat has replaced MSN.

#7 - if you want to not listen to ppl's status updates then you can hide anyone you want.

chat is private

inbox is private

or you can post on their wall just to them (but others can see).