Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Escape To The Country Funny

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/rwk3s/?t=3m

"I think you'll need to move fast ..."

The program was dated Sept 2009...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15686069.html

25 January 2009

* Brief Description changed: An outstanding contemporary style home with spectacular coastal views. - Situated on the top of a hill, with a 180-degree panoramic view taking in the whole of Bideford Bay including Lundy Island plus several miles of the Taw Estuary and the Northern Burrows Country Park. The Light House Build... Hou... [Found by n/a]

17 October 2008

* Price changed: from 'Guide Price £950,000' to 'Offers in Region of £950,000' [Found by n/a]

03 May 2008

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/rwk3s/?t=3m

"I think you'll need to move fast ..."

The program was dated Sept 2009...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15686069.html

25 January 2009

* Brief Description changed: An outstanding contemporary style home with spectacular coastal views. - Situated on the top of a hill, with a 180-degree panoramic view taking in the whole of Bideford Bay including Lundy Island plus several miles of the Taw Estuary and the Northern Burrows Country Park. The Light House Build... Hou... [Found by n/a]

17 October 2008

* Price changed: from 'Guide Price £950,000' to 'Offers in Region of £950,000' [Found by n/a]

03 May 2008

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

Things like this make me question my own sanity. Perhaps I am the one who is mad???

Surely I say, that if you cant sell your property, you just have to reduce the price bit by bit, until you do get to sell it. Holding an asset that you dont want for year after year is just dead money, even if you have no mortgage on it, you arent gaining interest on the money you would get from selling that which you dont want.

Am I insane? Why arent they reducing the price? At 950k, even the most corrupt of social security workers wont be handing out SMI on this one.

Do you have evidence that the owner of this property is in receipt of SMI money, for this property?

No, my point was that you can claim SMI on million pound properties.

No, my point was that you can claim SMI on million pound properties.

I hadnt spotted that rule. Just to double check, are you really sure about that??

Is it because it gives assistance with mortgages up to £100,000 (or was it £200,000), even if you have masses of equity in your home?

If you have a million pound home, and owed £800,000, and you lost your job, SMI doesnt help much. But on the same home, a mortgage of £100,000 is great, you get to pay back your capital too.

Is it this sort of case that you are envisaging?

I hadnt spotted that rule. Just to double check, are you really sure about that??

Is it because it gives assistance with mortgages up to £100,000 (or was it £200,000), even if you have masses of equity in your home?

If you have a million pound home, and owed £800,000, and you lost your job, SMI doesnt help much. But on the same home, a mortgage of £100,000 is great, you get to pay back your capital too.

Is it this sort of case that you are envisaging?

If you have a million pound home, have £800k in equity, £200k on mortgage, the government will pay your mortgage and make capital repayments too.

Utterly, totally wrong IMO, but the people got the government they deserved.

If you have a million pound home, have £800k in equity, £200k on mortgage, the government will pay your mortgage and make capital repayments too.

Given the chance I would vote for English Independence.

Shame that the biggest vote winner in England is the Conservative and Unionist Party.

Given the chance I would vote for English Independence.

Shame that the biggest vote winner in England is the Conservative and Unionist Party.

I would too - the Conservatives are living in the past - scrap the union!

in these sort of cases the DSS will almost certainly decide that your property is too large or too highly priced for your needs and will only make SMI payments which would pay for an alternative smaller/cheaper house

e.g. in this case, if they decide you could manage in a house costing only £500K, then you could buy this outrgiht with the £800K equity, and therefore they wouldn't pay you anything

..and why is the BBC using licence payers money to pimp property and act as a televisual version of Rightmove? That clip on iPlayer should really breach their Charter. Its a pure "informercial"

..and why is the BBC using licence payers money to pimp property and act as a televisual version of Rightmove? That clip on iPlayer should really breach their Charter. Its a pure "informercial"

It's a property-gawping show. The couple in this one hadn't sold their existing home - they just wanted to spend a couple of days being driven round the area :)