House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dom006

Student House Investment Swansea

There's been a lot of discussion about the higher end of the Swansea market, but i was looking at the student market and the returns seem very good when you take the price per room and the prices of houses especially in mount pleasant. Does any one have any opinion on this market? To me brynmill and uplands seem less of an option due to the prices and similar rents being achieved. Mount pleasent cromwell street etc seems to be a good option. Will these prices be affected in any drops or will they remain slightly more solid due to the return ? I'd be interested to hear off anyone who owns or has bought in mount pleasent area or who knows the rental market well in this area, any opinions or knowledge would be great !

There's been a lot of discussion about the higher end of the Swansea market, but i was looking at the student market and the returns seem very good when you take the price per room and the prices of houses especially in mount pleasant. Does any one have any opinion on this market? To me brynmill and uplands seem less of an option due to the prices and similar rents being achieved. Mount pleasent cromwell street etc seems to be a good option. Will these prices be affected in any drops or will they remain slightly more solid due to the return ? I'd be interested to hear off anyone who owns or has bought in mount pleasent area or who knows the rental market well in this area, any opinions or knowledge would be great !

I moved out of Brynmill 3 years ago after the place went from a sought-after family suburb to a student cesspit Hell IMPO.

My heart goes out to people, especially the elderly, who cannot afford to move.

I sold to a BTL landlord and everyone else I know sold to a BTL landlord.

What I have been told since, both by BTL landlords and by Letting Agents, is that the students are deserting Brynmill and The Uplands. You would not think this driving around but go visit The Rhyddings pub most nights of the week - it used to be heaving with students but the last dozen or so times I have been there in the past 3 years it has been nearly empty. (Won the pub quiz one night with friends).

Several EAs/Letting agents have told me that students are increasingly opting for flats in SA1, the Marina and purpose built flats such as those in St. Helens Road and at the bottom of Princess Way. Apparently, they pay a bit more in rental but they get a far superior place to live.

A friend who owns several BTLs in Brynmill told me that last year he had two properties that were empty for the entire year - he has another business and the BTLs are his pension. He is also chosey about the quality of student he gets in and can afford to have long voids rather than having "animals2 in his property.

I know a few families in Brynmill who could not sell and who ended up becoming landlords themselves - big, big regrets. I have heard stories of people spending 10K to 20K doing up their houses as HMOs and then, a year later, being in tears when they find out what the students have done to the place. I have had people tell me that the insides of their student houses have been destroyed. I have seen landlords in tears and many thousands in debt as a result. When Doctors - some I know of who have become BTL landlords for students - are worried about the losses they have made then go figure.

My above friend gets around this by including a weekly cleaner in the contracts he signs with students which means he gets eyeballs into his properties weekly - once you sign a lease for a house with a group of students, otherwise, you have no idea what they are doing to your properties.

Finally, go visit John Francis estate agency in their Walter Road branch and look at how many houses are for sale in Mount Pleasant - their windows are full of these. Landlords have told me that MP is too far away from the unis for most students and it does not have the street cred that they came to S'sea for. :rolleyes:

I considered renting our my house in Brynmill but, re the above and more that I heard from various parties, I was glad to sell up and get out. I have not regretted it.

This is just anecdotal information and not financial or business advice. Hope it helps you.

Thanks for the response!

A few letting agents I spoke to in general about the student market said that mount pleasant is still quite popular due to the swansea met though? and also swansea uni students prefering to be closer to town, indeed I have seen a number for sale however they seem over priced and stuck on the market such at around 140 - 150k for 5 letting rooms in mount pleasent, where ones have sold recently that ive seen for more like 120k for 3bed 3 reception rooms. There are a few at the moment that are around the 110 mark with 4 letting rooms. These do represent potentially very good returns. Good idea about the cleaner! I suppose with any student house at any time in the economy that risk of damage is there. but do you think they would rather pay very high prices for the marina than a good quality house for 220 a room? have you heard any positive feedback from mount pleasant landlords ?

Thanks for the response!

A few letting agents I spoke to in general about the student market said that mount pleasant is still quite popular due to the swansea met though? and also swansea uni students prefering to be closer to town, indeed I have seen a number for sale however they seem over priced and stuck on the market such at around 140 - 150k for 5 letting rooms in mount pleasent, where ones have sold recently that ive seen for more like 120k for 3bed 3 reception rooms. There are a few at the moment that are around the 110 mark with 4 letting rooms. These do represent potentially very good returns. Good idea about the cleaner! I suppose with any student house at any time in the economy that risk of damage is there. but do you think they would rather pay very high prices for the marina than a good quality house for 220 a room? have you heard any positive feedback from mount pleasant landlords ?

Marina is sexy, Mount Pleasant is not.

From what I hear Mummy & Daddy pay the rent anyhow and a few letting agents have told me that there is so much to rent in the places I mentioned that rents have fallen a fair bit - no personal idea how true this is or not.

there's a couple of new student accomodation developments on the horizon to be built which could affect mount pleasant lettings.

one is down behind the train station on former unit superheater site, morfa road/new cut road with nearly 1000 rooms plus launderette, shop, cafe, etc .

the other is right opposite the train station on car park site, mariner street part of a mixed development which will include hotel, offices and shops.

both are walking distance to swansea met uni particulary the alexandra road and mount pleasant campuses.

other places worth considering are anywhere along or near to the the bendy bus route which goes straight into and out of swansea university making it very easy for students to get back and forth to uni using these bendy buses if they don't have cars.

there's a couple of new student accomodation developments on the horizon to be built which could affect mount pleasant lettings.

one is down behind the train station on former unit superheater site, morfa road/new cut road with nearly 1000 rooms plus launderette, shop, cafe, etc .

the other is right opposite the train station on car park site, mariner street part of a mixed development which will include hotel, offices and shops.

both are walking distance to swansea met uni particulary the alexandra road and mount pleasant campuses.

other places worth considering are anywhere along or near to the the bendy bus route which goes straight into and out of swansea university making it very easy for students to get back and forth to uni using these bendy buses if they don't have cars.

Thanks swa! do you know when these are planned to begin? or if its confirmed or planned.

yea 1000 rooms would put quite a few houses out of business! however with houses your relying on the second and third years as many halls private and uni dont allow students to stay on there after year one. So your saying if i'm considering swansea studentville to look along this bus route instead of mt pleasent? what's that area or streets? if its not too much hastle to find out ? :)

Thanks swa! do you know when these are planned to begin? or if its confirmed or planned.

yea 1000 rooms would put quite a few houses out of business! however with houses your relying on the second and third years as many halls private and uni dont allow students to stay on there after year one. So your saying if i'm considering swansea studentville to look along this bus route instead of mt pleasent? what's that area or streets? if its not too much hastle to find out ? :)

The bus company has two 'student' buses - one which goes from the bus station through the main uni on the seafront and then up to the hendrefoilan student village.

The second one goes from singleton hospital/ the uni along the mumbles road, through the county hall and on to morriston hospital.

The student development on morfa road is due to begin soon I think.