House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Council/lottery Grant.

Looking at setting up a community sports leauge and wondering if anyone has any experience of how you would go about getting some funding for it. I know there's Sports Council grants funded through lottery money but has anyone ever had any dealings with them? Any other source of funding anyone can think of?

Looking at setting up a community sports leauge and wondering if anyone has any experience of how you would go about getting some funding for it. I know there's Sports Council grants funded through lottery money but has anyone ever had any dealings with them? Any other source of funding anyone can think of?

Is this money requested to run the league or for infrastructure set-up or improvements?

Is it for target shooting? There might be conflicts of interest with public access. Generally all money from Lottery funds and grants generally have a lot of strings attached which mean your facilities must be made available to members of the public. You will probably be required to spend a considerable amount of money on disabled access as well.

A very large sum of money was offered to our sports club, but we had to decline it as the strings attached meant we would have effectively lost control of the club. There are also others factors such as local rates to consider. We get a hefty discount off our rates because we are a technically a charity - we would have lost this as well for some reason.

Do you have any more details?

Is this money requested to run the league or for infrastructure set-up or improvements?

Is it for target shooting? There might be conflicts of interest with public access. Generally all money from Lottery funds and grants generally have a lot of strings attached which mean your facilities must be made available to members of the public. You will probably be required to spend a considerable amount of money on disabled access as well.

A very large sum of money was offered to our sports club, but we had to decline it as the strings attached meant we would have effectively lost control of the club. There are also others factors such as local rates to consider. We get a hefty discount off our rates because we are a technically a charity - we would have lost this as well for some reason.

Do you have any more details?

Yes, your guesses are essentially correct and yes, basically it's to set it up from scratch. I haven't put a huge amount of thought into it as yet but we wouldn't be looking to acquire premises but rather to use other people's. Much along the lines of the site below;

Miniature rifle league

It wouldn't matter too much about the control thing as it would be set up with it's own constitution and be run by committee on behalf of the members, it's not something I'm looking to set up for profit purposes but rather to promote the sport in general. I'm not really that interested in running it as I have other stuff on, as I say, the committee would do that. Would be along the lines of a pub darts or 5-a-side league, etc.

Yes, your guesses are essentially correct and yes, basically it's to set it up from scratch. I haven't put a huge amount of thought into it as yet but we wouldn't be looking to acquire premises but rather to use other people's. Much along the lines of the site below;

Miniature rifle league

It wouldn't matter too much about the control thing as it would be set up with it's own constitution and be run by committee on behalf of the members, it's not something I'm looking to set up for profit purposes but rather to promote the sport in general. I'm not really that interested in running it as I have other stuff on, as I say, the committee would do that. Would be along the lines of a pub darts or 5-a-side league, etc.

I think by law, all rifle clubs must be invitation-only, which means by definition they are not open to the public. Public access and availability is a pre-requisite of receiving any public funds. So there is a conflict of interest here.

A lot of rifle clubs are rather antiquated, and facilities must be improved in order to qualify (such as wheelchair access) as well as the usual H&S stuff. Another very important thing that put us off, was the fact that if we accepted any money, and if the club ever folded, then the local council would take 100% ownership of the land, property and all assets, rather than the members.

If you are using other people's premises, then it may offer some protection against this, but equally, they may refuse it on these grounds. I think there were a handful of organisations that were able to offer money and it was all done through the local council rather than directly with the lottery, or sports council.

The money was there, but the attached strings were too much. We walked away.

I think by law, all rifle clubs must be invitation-only, which means by definition they are not open to the public. Public access and availability is a pre-requisite of receiving any public funds. So there is a conflict of interest here.

A lot of rifle clubs are rather antiquated, and facilities must be improved in order to qualify (such as wheelchair access) as well as the usual H&S stuff. Another very important thing that put us off, was the fact that if we accepted any money, and if the club ever folded, then the local council would take 100% ownership of the land, property and all assets, rather than the members.

If you are using other people's premises, then it may offer some protection against this, but equally, they may refuse it on these grounds. I think there were a handful of organisations that were able to offer money and it was all done through the local council rather than directly with the lottery, or sports council.

The money was there, but the attached strings were too much. We walked away.

You are correct in that generally, shooting clubs are members only, Home Office approved, etc, etc. However, there is an exemption in the Firearms Act for miniature rifle ranges. These do not need any approval nor do you need a certificate for the guns and ammunition and anyone participating doesn't need personal certificates, etc. This is how the Devises league operates. The only requirement would be that anyone shooting is not a person prohibited from possessing firearms under section 21 of the Act - ie; people who have served terms of imprisonment.

The Devises league operates in pubs, clubs and village halls and the like. There isn't any reason in therory why any new league couldn't do something similar. It was very, very popular at one time as virtually every town and village had a team and ranges were all over the place.

Like I said, it's not at any advanced stage yet and is just something I've had in my head for ages and was just pondering as to whether funding might be available in some form or other.