House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Wales 'more Vulnerable To Public Spending Cuts'

I think worrying about buying a house here may soon be the last of my worries.

Posting this here because I think it is very HPC relevant - BBC Wales have laid out in some detail just how much Wales is dependent upon the public Sector, because other parts of the UK such as Northern Ireland, Scotland and the North of England are in a similar position as seen by the below charts... and I know how much you people love your charts & graphs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11151909

_48960909_wales_spend_624.gif

_48941326_public_sec_employ_464.gif

_48941325_public_sec_expend_464.gif

_48941327_public_sec_servant_464.gif

"The public sector is the default employer in Wales," said Steve Thomas, chairman of the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA).

He added: "We are in the situation, especially with the running down of heavy industry, and the end of inward investment, that the public sector in Wales actually does the job of the private sector in England - particularly in terms of economic development."

According to the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR), the unemployment rate will exceed 10% in Wales as a result of predicted huge cuts to public sector jobs.

That could put even more pressure on public services in Wales, where £4 out of every £10 of public money is spent on social protection, which includes unemployment benefit.

Mr Thomas said local authorities were awaiting the news of the Comprehensive Spending Review with "trepidation".

He said local government in Wales was bracing itself for a fall in revenue of around £14m each year and capital funding by £50m a year.

"If we are hit with the level of cuts that are being modelled, between 25% and 40%... it could decimate large parts of communities in Wales," said Mr Thomas.

But he warned there would need to be a seismic shift in how people viewed the role of the private sector in public services.

"For many politicians in Wales the spending review is about what it means to public sector jobs and how to preserve those jobs and not how to deliver public services."

He said the spending review could lead to a "sharper Wales, with more focus on value and how public money is spent".

"Hopefully it will lead to a Wales where the role of the private sector is more greatly valued by some in the public sector," he added.

I think that last quote is very telling about the current attitude towardsthe private sector in Wales.

In other news, Wales communism is about the be broken.

:lol:

Oddly enough, when I was reading that BBC article I thought to myself how I have been living in some Stalinist Society most of my life and how Wales was more akin to Cuba than anywhere else :lol::lol::lol:

It is more like Cuban communism though - always existed on huge subsidies from outside in order to function.

Id like to go to Llanfairpoollancicilliagogogoch Internment camp...just to see the name tags on the guards.

Posting this here because I think it is very HPC relevant - BBC Wales have laid out in some detail just how much Wales is dependent upon the public Sector, because other parts of the UK such as Northern Ireland, Scotland and the North of England are in a similar position as seen by the below charts... and I know how much you people love your charts & graphs.

And I'm sure you will notice the graph that states that Public Spending on services is higher in London!

Elsewhere on the BBC Wales' website - something which may also have some effect on housing.

Language campaigners warn of direct action on S4C cuts

Welsh language activists say they will take "non-violent direct action" to protest against cuts in S4C's budget.

Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg, the Welsh Language Society, says it will repeat the "tactics" used in the campaign to set up the channel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11194878

:rolleyes:

Gravy train coming to a stop. All change please!

And I'm sure you will notice the graph that states that Public Spending on services is higher in London!

Not sure what the Central Government Bods are doing...surely, they should be...well...central!

But! But! London is the centre for banking and the financial sector! Just goes to show it produces bugger all for the real economy, apart from some trickle down scraps from the table.

:lol:

Oddly enough, when I was reading that BBC article I thought to myself how I have been living in some Stalinist Society most of my life and how Wales was more akin to Cuba than anywhere else :lol::lol::lol:

You need to learn from Northern Ireland.. a few more bombs going off ands public spending will go right back up..

I know that is your favourite one. I was going to leave it out just to wind you up. :P

I am not happy regarding the public sector reliance in Wales. I just wanted to point out that even London - to many's surprise on here, is receiving a lot of public expenditure. Higher than average as it turns out.

Elsewhere on the BBC Wales' website - something which may also have some effect on housing.

Language campaigners warn of direct action on S4C cuts

Welsh language activists say they will take "non-violent direct action" to protest against cuts in S4C's budget.

Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg, the Welsh Language Society, says it will repeat the "tactics" used in the campaign to set up the channel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-11194878

:rolleyes:

Gravy train coming to a stop. All change please!

Tractor Production is up

I must correct you. The economic theory is known as 'trickle up'.

Yes very good. Thats exactly how our system of financial/rentier capitalism really works. Everything trickles up to the City! :lol:

Tractor Production is up

what a waste...we dont need tractors, we need more Financial Products!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11151909

_48960909_wales_spend_624.gif

_48941326_public_sec_employ_464.gif

_48941325_public_sec_expend_464.gif

_48941327_public_sec_servant_464.gif

I think that last quote is very telling about the current attitude towardsthe private sector in Wales.

And don't forget LONDON would come out top! More reliant on public spending than any other part of Britain.

Edited by gruffydd

And don't forget LONDON would come out top! More reliant on public spending than any other part of Britain.

Yes, but you could sack tens of thousands of public sector workers in London and London would still have other jobs.

There are lots of people in Wales, such as in the Broadcasters, who don't even realise they are in the public sector!

Yes, but you could sack tens of thousands of public sector workers in London and London would still have other jobs.

There are lots of people in Wales, such as in the Broadcasters, who don't even realise they are in the public sector!

I agree - there just aren't the other jobs. Very depressing.

You need to learn from Northern Ireland.. a few more bombs going off ands public spending will go right back up..

An Irish guy I met in Belfast once seriously suggested that was the best solution for deprived areas. Thought he was joking. Then realised he was deadly serious.

Perhaps he was touting to lend a hand - I shot off to the toilet, then slipped out the back.

Edited by gruffydd

An Irish guy I met in Belfast once seriously suggested that was the best solution for deprived areas. Thought he was joking. Then realised he was deadly serious.

Perhaps he was touting to lend a hand - I shot off to the toilet, then slipped out the back.

Some Welsh language activists, you could argue, have had a very lucrative 30 years since doing some sit-ins, throwing eggs and whitewash at people/buildings and allegedly being involved in burning down houses in the 70s.