House Price Crash Forum

Rise In Squatters Puts More Welsh Homeowners At Risk Of Huge Eviction Bills

HOLA441

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/09/05/rise-in-squatters-puts-more-welsh-homeowners-at-risk-of-huge-eviction-bills-91466-27203034/

Hundreds of homeowners in Wales are having to fork out thousands of pounds to evict the unwanted residents, after a rise of at least 40% in the number of squatters taking over homes.

The shocking figure comes as estimates suggest the popularity of squatting in Wales and England has risen year-on-year with the number of squatters increasing by a massive 132% in the past 15 years.

Yet experts fear the latest projections are just the tip of the iceberg, as more and more are driven into squats as a result of the recession, a hike in house prices and rents and reduced public housing.

Whereas squatters were once frequently activists making a social or political statement by taking over the homes of others, experts now say the majority are forced into the lifestyle by financial pressures.

Most Welsh squatters are thought to be in Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham, but outside school holidays many can be found in posh holiday homes where they live a life of luxury on the cheap.

Peter Black, AM for South Wales West and the Liberal Democrat’s housing spokesman, called for more social housing to be made available to alleviate the problem.

“A big factor in this trend must be that there are 27,000 private sector homes in Wales being left empty. These are attractive to homeless people in desperate situations and the Government needs to address this.”

HOLA442

I am a big fan of squatting, sometimes there is no other way. It is a minority of squatters that are a blight, all those I knew where holding down jobs and respecting the property.

Squats of ten to twenty years were not uncommon in the eighties.

HOLA443

I am a big fan of squatting, sometimes there is no other way. It is a minority of squatters that are a blight, all those I knew where holding down jobs and respecting the property.

Thinking about it, a nice squat in West Wales on the Gower or in Pembs during thw winter would be lovely - bleak but lovely.

With all the rich people in London having bought so many homes I should have thought about offering a 'responsible squatter' service.

Worried about squatters moving in? Get yourself a nice, clean person who will not trash your home. Help local workers whom you have priced out of the local market you greedy feckers. Responsible squatters are better than the trashy kind!

Or something like that.

HOLA444

With all the rich people in London having bought so many homes I should have thought about offering a 'responsible squatter' service.

Worried about squatters moving in? Get yourself a nice, clean person who will not trash your home. Help local workers whom you have priced out of the local market you greedy feckers. Responsible squatters are better than the trashy kind!

Or something like that.

I think they are called house sitters or caretakers

HOLA445

Were there 20 years in the eighties then ?

Thinking about it, it did drag on a a bit ;) .