House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RDW

Half Sensible Price In Somerset

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30996578.html

Unless this is a typo and it should say £500k or there are plans to drive a motorway through the back garden, this is very promising and certainly reduces the price for the rest of the tat in the surrounding area to a almost reasonable level.

On for £300k.

Full description:

A Period Detached House comprises 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 4 reception rooms. The property is presented in very good condition and benefits from Gas Central Heating, uPVC Double Glazed Windows.

This substantial property offers versatile accommodation to suit numerous living requirements. There is extensive accommodation in the main house with a single storey wing which could be adapted to create a second annexe. There is also a one bedroomed self contained annexe which offers independent access whilst remaining linked with the main accommodation. The property also benefits from stunning, countryside views and is situated in grounds extending to approximately 3/4 acre.

On the face of it yes looks nice.

My concern would be that it seems to be jammed between a separately owned working farmyard and a road if you zoom in on the map. That could mean you're woken up at all hours so I would want to pay a few visits to get a feel for what it would be like living with that.

Perhaps the 3/4 acres is that green bit off to the side, again surrounded by the farmyard.

Hi Frank

I don't think it's the place at the center of the post code marker, if you go about a mile SE down the road, you will come to an L shaped building with a 'green' roof, opposite a pond between the two rivers, and a round swimming pool in the garden, I think that's it. I'm going to go on a recee today, if I could convert the second annexe it could be a nice holiday cottage business for the misses.

I appreciate your comments.

Hi Frank

I don't think it's the place at the center of the post code marker, if you go about a mile SE down the road, you will come to an L shaped building with a 'green' roof, opposite a pond between the two rivers, and a round swimming pool in the garden, I think that's it. I'm going to go on a recee today, if I could convert the second annexe it could be a nice holiday cottage business for the misses.

I love it - I was looking at a four bed, beautiful setting with an acre of garden today North Coast Cornwall and that is on the for the same price. http://www.millercountrywide.co.uk/content/006_Results/002_Property/property-sales-rpsMIL-TRU100053-1283432899

Yours is much better.

Hmm - have you checked flood risk on the environment agency website?

I haven't checked it, but the environment agency have done extensive work there and, supposedly, that is the Stanmore Bank in front of the house and the river is designed to flood to the North West East, as far as I am aware.

But I will check thanks.

Edit West to East

Edited by RDW

I know this area very well. The B road links Langport to Burrowbridge by passing Aller and Othery as a bit of a short cut. the other side of the road is one of the Sedgemoor drains that prevent the area from flooding. Sedgemorr does flood but this area is not prone.Nearest town is Langport about 3 miles away and the nearest pub about a nile if it,s still open.

Worth 300K not IMHO

Thanks for that, it is actually outside the Stanmoor Bank, and a flood risk area as far as the EA is concerned.

Worth 300K not IMHO

Hi Jim,

We know the area quite well, we spent a lot of time looking about when we were planning to by Honeysuckle Cottage TA7 0SA (I don't know if you know it), a year or so ago, but got outbid.

We live in Burnham on Sea at the moment, and I work in Weston S Mare.

Jim, you seem to have a lot of local knowledge, how much in your HO would you say the property was worth ?

TIA

Hi Frank

My mistake. Looks nice then.

And as has been said on here many times price is not the only reason for buying a house.

I love it - I was looking at a four bed, beautiful setting with an acre of garden today North Coast Cornwall and that is on the for the same price. http://www.millercountrywide.co.uk/content/006_Results/002_Property/property-sales-rpsMIL-TRU100053-1283432899

Yours is much better.

That's very nice for the price actually RH. As long as it is Blackwater and not United Downs.

Although I would hesitate to describe it as "Coast", that's bang in the middle IMO.

Edit - just seen where it is. Looks ok if a bit near the A30, may be noisy.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Well I've just been to have a snout arround and let's say the place 'has potential'.

I think it must have been a pub at one point, and the skinny annexe to the south west used to be the skittle alley, it has a steel roof.

The outside does not look like it's been decorated for at least 20 years, and from what I could tell some bits are in a poor state of repair.

The garden resembles a jungle moor than a garden, which is mainly cosmetic I suppose.

The neighbouring property to the south east looks more like a scrap yard than anything else, dead caravans, motorbikes, cars, campervans, as well as loads of other junk for about 200yds, not a very good selling point if I wanted to open a couple of holiday lets in the annexes.

The main rail line from Taunton to Paddington runs quite close to the back, although this wouldn't bother us, and we actually quite like the 'railway children' romantisism.

As I said it has potential, but not at £300k, maybe £225k tops and then £25k renovation work , I'll keep my eye on it.

Ha ha, sorry for replying to my own post, but I noticed that the agents board outside was Chesterton & Humberts,

So I went on their website to check it out, and they want £445k for it.

Panic over, normality returns. Crazy price,

http://www.chestertonhumberts.com/image.dtx?propertyid=87A032A8-756C-4BE2-9837-A7A4B687AA92&from=details&imageid=75CCF525-365F-43EA-BBBA-B31446FECF2F&run=false

Edit

For those interested I did find this while doing some research

http://www.thesharegallery.co.uk/closedpubs/somerset/stathe_blacksmockinn.html

http://www.innsignsociety.com/html/myths_legends_0.html

Not sure I would want to live there now !!!!

Edited by RDW

That's very nice for the price actually RH. As long as it is Blackwater and not United Downs.

Although I would hesitate to describe it as "Coast", that's bang in the middle IMO.

Edit - just seen where it is. Looks ok if a bit near the A30, may be noisy.

I was doing my usual thing Frank of posting quickly and then running out of the door (which is why it often appears I am ignoring replies). You will know that North Cornwall and South Cornwall are two different worlds and that was really the distinction I was after. Blackwater is an odd place - some of the houses are vastly over priced (St Agnes spill over?) and others like this appear under-priced (in comparison). Its been on the market a while so I guess there must be something putting people off (like A30 traffic noise).

RH :)

Edited by Reluctant Heretic