House Price Crash Forum
exiges

15% Off Bellway Homes

Drove past a Bellway development in Buckingham today. It's been in development for a few months but this time I noticed signs up saying "You pay 85% we pay 15%"

And that's before you negotiate. Times must be tough.

Maybe they just thing people are stupid. Which is generally speaking, true.

'You pay 85%, we pay 15%'.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Does it have any MEANING? Is it like a shop's sale price where the goods have to have been on offer for a certain period.

15% off WHAT? The number we first thought of? Any number we fancy?

People are so gullible.

OPTION 1*

PART EXCHANGE

OPTION 2*

YOU PROVIDE 10% DEPOSIT AND WE WILL MATCH IT WITH A FURTHER 10% INTEREST FREE LOAN

OPTION 3*

SHARED EQUITY SCHEME* YOU PAY 85% - WE PAY 15% - PLEASE ASK FOR MORE DETAILS. TERMS & CONDITIONS APPLY. SELECTED PLOTS ONLY..

http://www.bellway.co.uk/tabid/132/dev/9ae8c4d4-f79e-47f4-ac8d-fab9914a54c9/Default.aspx

OPTION 1*

PART EXCHANGE

OPTION 2*

YOU PROVIDE 10% DEPOSIT AND WE WILL MATCH IT WITH A FURTHER 10% INTEREST FREE LOAN

OPTION 3*

SHARED EQUITY SCHEME* YOU PAY 85% - WE PAY 15% - PLEASE ASK FOR MORE DETAILS. TERMS & CONDITIONS APPLY. SELECTED PLOTS ONLY..

http://www.bellway.co.uk/tabid/132/dev/9ae8c4d4-f79e-47f4-ac8d-fab9914a54c9/Default.aspx

My god, they are ugly

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/84k/83522/83522_Plot_111_Shared_Equity_IMG_05_0000.jpg

I'm sure that their low score for aesthetic appeal is more than compensated for by the high quality, durable materials used in their construction. Certain of it in fact.

Add to that sticks in a vase in every room and you're living the dream.

Maybe they just thing people are stupid. Which is generally speaking, true.

'You pay 85%, we pay 15%'.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Does it have any MEANING? Is it like a shop's sale price where the goods have to have been on offer for a certain period.

15% off WHAT? The number we first thought of? Any number we fancy?

People are so gullible.

Isn't the idea that the 15% is to help with the deposit. So it is a way to try to get the bank to give nearly a 100% loan, because the real value is thought (by Bellway) to be the 85%, but the bank is supposed to believe that it is the whole 100% of the so called asking price.

I thought this practice had been made illegal, or banned by the FSA.

Honestly what sort of cr*p are these places?

Those 1 bed apartments for £125k (http://www.bellway.co.uk/tabid/144/hs/81f65d9b-fa49-4ed6-86e2-c124e09a529a/Default.aspx). They are as ugly as sin, and look at the layout of the place. It is actually a rabbit hutch - it has a 3.25m x 3m living room!! FFS, that is not a living room, its tiny. If I was confined to that I would go mad.

Maybe its meant for 'slickers' as a sort of weekend retreat or someone who works long hours or someone who doesn't want to get laid.

I cherry picked abot half the "key features", they are having a laugh and the joke is on the uk public.

Key Features

HEATING & PLUMBING

* Plumbing for dishwasher

* Plumbing for washing machine

* External cold water tap to rear of house

WINDOWS & DOORS

* Four panel door with smooth white finish

KITCHEN

* Stainless steel hob

* Stainless steel integrated single oven

How one earth is that a link detached, it's sharing a full wall with the neighbour, which in my eyes makes it a semi!

Edit, I just checked the site map, 'The Violet' is actually a mid terrace in at least one case! What a heap of crap!

Edited by Pauly_Boy

Key Features

HEATING & PLUMBING

* Plumbing for dishwasher

* Plumbing for washing machine

* External cold water tap to rear of house

WINDOWS & DOORS

* Four panel door with smooth white finish

KITCHEN

* Stainless steel hob

* Stainless steel integrated single oven

:blink: Ofcourse, having extra (as standard) pipes fitted add's £1,000s onto the value of your house!

How one earth is that a link detached, it's sharing a full wall with the neighbour, which in my eyes makes it a semi!

Edit, I just checked the site map, 'The Violet' is actually a mid terrace in at least one case! What a heap of crap!

Lol, I was just thinking "is link detached marketing ******** for a semi?".

They would be seriously overpriced at 50% off. Utter rubbish.

Here is the sort of house that a big chunk of the population want:

mos.jpg

Its not big and fancy, there's no paddock, but it has front garden, trees around, a drive and garage at the side and not 3mm from next door.

Its no good builders going on about maximising income per sq. ft and govt. rules on density.

That all irrelevant if no one wants to buy the houses that they are building.

mos.jpg

Its not big and fancy, there's no paddock, but it has front garden, trees around, a drive and garage at the side and not 3mm from next door.

Its no good builders going on about maximising income per sq. ft and govt. rules on density.

They like bidding up the price of land - it props up the valuation of their existing portfolio of hovel opportunities and it shuts out other developers. They are neither house nor home builders - they are building land leverage companies - any old shit on the site as long as it sell, as high a density and low a quality as possible, whatver can be got away with, which in recent times in nigh on criminal. Hopefully there will come a time when poeople wake up, none of their stuff sells, they go out of business opening the field for an altogether different set of companies, house designs and priorities.

mos.jpg

Simple as.

mos.jpg

yeah, they could turn that into 3 flats and a never ending goldmine....yeah yeah yeah

They like bidding up the price of land - it props up the valuation of their existing portfolio of hovel opportunities and it shuts out other developers. They are neither house nor home builders - they are building land leverage companies - any old shit on the site as long as it sell, as high a density and low a quality as possible, whatver can be got away with, which in recent times in nigh on criminal. Hopefully there will come a time when poeople wake up, none of their stuff sells, they go out of business opening the field for an altogether different set of companies, house designs and priorities.

I agree entirely with this. Indeed I think the poorer quality buildings are thrown up during a boom. They are built purely as speculative vehicles. Purely to sell/attach the mortgage debt to, that's all. I'd say those horrendous Bellway homes fit that bill admirably. The Directors of Bellway, should be imprisoned and tortured till death for being part of this evil cynical scam!

Funny enough though I commented on 1960's thread about my parents buying a new build house in 1963 for £3500 and I clearly recall my father nit picking his way round that claiming it would fall down. It never did of course, and compared to modern day new builds it was a quality building.

Edited by Sir John Steed