House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

Paranoid And Delusional...or Am I?

Just a random thought.

Was thinking about the astronomical house prices in the "good" areas of the towns and cities around the UK, and the recent spate of VI advice such as;

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=15037

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=15046

Now, call me paranoid and delusional ( :ph34r: ), but what's the chances of this being a master stroke of social engineering? So, we have areas / pockets of poverty and high unemployment dotted around and within most cities & towns across the UK.....what's the easiest / best way to resolve this? Easy, simply price people out of the market in the "good" areas so that their only chance of buying a property is to buy in the poorer areas. The "poor" get money by selling their places (not sure how they house themselves after moving out....perhaps social housing etc if it's their own RTB property, or no need to if inherited), the FTB's etc get a property, and effectively we social engineer the areas into a mix of employed / unemployed / retired etc. :ph34r:

Go on, I know it's a long shot. What do you think? :o

(and no, I'm not really being all that serious!) :P

Personally I think all we need concern ourselves with is the creation of and now the bursting of this enormous speculation driven market.

Everything else fills the boredom gap but I wouldn't credit New Labour with enough intelligence to fool us with any credible conspiracy.

It's a mess.

Just a random thought.

Was thinking about the astronomical house prices in the "good" areas of the towns and cities around the UK, and the recent spate of VI advice such as;

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=15037

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=15046

Now, call me paranoid and delusional ( :ph34r: ), but what's the chances of this being a master stroke of social engineering?  So, we have areas / pockets of poverty and high unemployment dotted around and within most cities & towns across the UK.....what's the easiest / best way to resolve this?  Easy, simply price people out of the market in the "good" areas so that their only chance of buying a property is to buy in the poorer areas.  The "poor" get money by selling their places (not sure how they house themselves after moving out....perhaps social housing etc if it's their own RTB property, or no need to if inherited), the FTB's etc get a property, and effectively we social engineer the areas into a mix of employed / unemployed / retired etc.  :ph34r:

Go on, I know it's a long shot.  What do you think?  :o

(and no, I'm not really being all that serious!)  :P

It's the effect of living in a meritocracy. Those with more merit points (£'s) desplace those with less. It's the way our society works.

It's the effect of living in a meritocracy. Those with more merit points (£'s) desplace those with less. It's the way our society works.

Your definition of meritocracy is absurd. You think that £'s measure merit? What about nurses and teachers who earn precious few £'s but have far more merit than many a person who happens to have played the system and made money.

Well done to anyone who has made money. But don't get all confused that it means they have more merit than others who have less money.

FreeFall could have a point about 'master strokes' but if one has been pulled I think it is more to do with a gap in social housing than social engineering.

The scenario...............

1) There is a lack of affordable social housing

2) The demand is only going to increase.

3) Enocuraging the mass building of cheap two bed flats and buy to let landlords. 4) There is a ready supply of rented accomodation and the private sector have put in all the capital and taken all the risks :D

5) Push people who where traditonally in need of social housing towards the private sector and housing benefit will pay the rent.

Result = a privatised social housing sector and no-body even realised it was happening!!!!!!!!

Consequences

Buy to let landlords fill their properties with social housing tenants .... and then the housing benefit system 'caps' the amount of rent they will pay

Those who payed £180k for a two bed 'designer apartment' now find they are living on a council estate.

Those who invested £180k in a BTL two bed 'designer apartment' see the value of their property go down

The government don't need to build any more social housing.

Everyones a winner!!!!! (not) <_<

a banker in the City earns 200k and a nurse 18k. And the logic behind that is?

If we all earnt the same life would be much better and society would function more successfully.

Edited by Vivaldo

FreeFall could have a point about 'master strokes' but if one has been pulled I think it is more to do with a gap in social housing than social engineering.

3) Enocuraging the mass building of cheap two bed flats and buy to let landlords. 4) There is a ready supply of rented accomodation and the private sector have put in all the capital and taken all the risks  :D

5) Push people who where traditonally in need of social housing towards the private sector and housing benefit will pay the rent.

Result = a privatised social housing sector and no-body even realised it was happening!!!!!!!!

Consequences

Buy to let landlords fill their properties with social housing tenants .... and then the housing benefit system 'caps' the amount of rent they will pay

Those who payed £180k for a two bed 'designer apartment' now find they are living on a council estate.

Those who invested £180k in a BTL two bed 'designer apartment' see the value of their property go down

Everyones a winner!!!!! (not)  <_<

Plausible.

A likely outcome even if not intended.

I've seen exactly that happen to an estate built ~1999 and marketed, at the time, as "luxury living".

Within 2 - 3 years the LA were using empty places to house emergency tenants (single mums, evicted families etc..). There's no nice way of putting this.... the place went downhill very quickly.

The young families who had bought into the "luxury" dream quickly sold up and moved out. The place now has one of the worst reputations around and most locals wouldn't touch it.

I can remember quite clearly how this development was marketed and it was all Stepford-esque, young families, kids on bikes, people carrier on drive type stuff. The majority of that estate (it was originally a "community") is now LA (local authority, not Los Angeles :rolleyes:) tenants and values are comparable with the other local no-go zones.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the thousands of empty "city living" apartments of today end up as the run down tower blocks of the future.

'a banker in the City earns 200k and a nurse 18k. And the logic behind that is?

If we all earnt the same life would be much better and society would function more successfully.'

The logic is that the banker creates wealth, the nurse spends it.

To be fair to the banker his income tax bill would would pay 3 nurses salaries.

the nurse spends it....keeping the banker in good health, so he can create more wealth...:D

Ironically, a nurse si probably the first and last human being the banker will see in his

oh so productive life.

Not so simple huh..:D

ABB

The banker is clever enough to work out he/she can earn £200k working in the city instead of only £18k working as a nurse - just a thought

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some of the thousands of empty "city living" apartments of today end up as the run down tower blocks of the future.

This goes some way to explaining why some of the luxury new builds near me are:

a) built on marginal land eg in the middle of industrial estates, next to dual carriageways, roundabouts, land known to flood etc

B) Look like prison blocks or soviet era housing

c) Extremely badly built

when you say wealth i assume you mean money?

if the bankers create money and the nurses spend it shouldnt the nurses be paid more than the bankers?

If we all earnt the same life would be much better and society would function more successfully.'

3) Enocuraging the mass building of cheap two bed flats and buy to let landlords. 4) There is a ready supply of rented accomodation and the private sector have put in all the capital and taken all the risks  :D

Consequences

Hey, that was my theory!

BTL social housing

Great minds etc. :)

I think you would benefit from taking a long hard look at what money actually is and what wealth actually is. Then you will see the banker for what he really is.

Buy a few textbooks and think about the world we live in.