House Price Crash Forum

Why Do People Always Look At Me?

Pezerinno

HOLA441

I'm naturally an anxious person so this doesn't help my nerves. When I'm out and about people always seem to look at me - do people generally look at everyone? It is often a long look as well which can be uncomfortable (I usually notice in the corner of my eye). Seems to happen with kids, women and men under around 40 years of age.

HOLA442

I'm naturally an anxious person so this doesn't help my nerves. When I'm out and about people always seem to look at me - do people generally look at everyone? It is often a long look as well which can be uncomfortable (I usually notice in the corner of my eye). Seems to happen with kids, women and men under around 40 years of age.

Are you ugly, deformed or do you resemble someone famous ?

HOLA443

Are you ugly, deformed or do you resemble someone famous ?

Not as far as I'm aware. I would say at least 90% of people seem to look at me unless they're an older male - not sure why they're not interested. Maybe it happens to everyone but my anxiety makes me notice what others are doing.

HOLA444

Well you are lucky. I feel I`m being stalked. She`s always at the bus stop anytime of the day when I travel to Town.

On the return journey no sign of her until we arrive at the next Bus Stop and there she is as she climbs aboard.

Sitting in my Kitchen at the front of the house she passes my window now and again. :blink:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There must be any number of reasons why people look at each other. Thinking about it, when I'm walking down the street or in a shop I certainly have a quick scan of people. It's more of a subconcious thing though, checking if people are friend or foe, gauging what there movements are likely to be to avoid moving into their personal space or they mine. Or something about them fleetingly registers in my mind, they're looking happy, sad, smart, scruffy, rough, pretty or whatever but it's actually of no consequence to me so any thoughts are quickly discarded and my mind moves onto the next thing unless of course something flags up in my mind that I should pay attention to that person.

In queues in shops I may take a longer look at someone, probably in a vacuous way but I'll be thinking about something entirely unrelated to the person I'm looking at.

It's not a personal thing against anyone, no intended judgement of them just a process that happens without me thinking about it and likely to all the other people you say are looking at you.

I think what you feel is more a sympton of your own anxiety which of itself can become a cause for anxiety. I know that if I go out in looking less than I would like (hair needs washing, zit on my face or clothes not feeling right) I am much more concious of people looking at me so I guess it comes down to whether you're feeling confident or vulnerable.

Try not to worry about it as it probably all means much much less than you think.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

By men and kids?

Actually yes. People generally respond to better looking people. And kids are just the same. I recall some study done on babies and how they respond to the person with them. Even at that age better looking people get different treatment.

But obviously anxiety could account for your perception of being stared at. Only you can answer that one. Speaking as a shy person, I get uncomfortable when people start staring at me. And that can cause me to become extra vigilant looking for people who might be staring haha.

But anyway, as you get older you get more comfortable in your own skin. Once you realise the world doesn't revolve around you, and people aren't really that interested in you, then you can ease up :)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

People who suffer from anxiety often give off 'wounded fish' vibes unknowingly - it is how you present yourself to the World. You give off vibes of being vulnerable.

Most people do not notice this but the Narcissist is a predator and they are very atuned to spotting prey - they only ever target the weak and vulnerable.

HOLA4414

People who suffer from anxiety often give off 'wounded fish' vibes unknowingly - it is how you present yourself to the World. You give off vibes of being vulnerable.

On a related note, I've recently begun to believe that the pheromones we "disperse" make a huge difference to everyday interaction. A lot of unspoken or subconscious behaviour could be explained by this. People react to these invisible signals in all sorts of ways. We've all heard of the "pheromones & sexual attraction" thing. But also known that there's a wider effect of these chemicals. And anxiety or fear must surely give off chemical signals?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Oddly pedestrians always look at me when im in my car, despite having a very average car that makes no funny noises. I mean they look, and if i look in my rear view mirror theyve turned round and are still looking at me.

Yet I dont notice people looking at me when im not in my car.

You might to check your front grill....

whitetail_deer_in_grill_of_car.jpg

HOLA4417

On a related note, I've recently begun to believe that the pheromones we "disperse" make a huge difference to everyday interaction. A lot of unspoken or subconscious behaviour could be explained by this. People react to these invisible signals in all sorts of ways. We've all heard of the "pheromones & sexual attraction" thing. But also known that there's a wider effect of these chemicals. And anxiety or fear must surely give off chemical signals?

I definitely notice this.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Unless there's something very weird about you, like purple spiky hair/masses of piercings, or you're especially goodlooking, they almost certainly aren't. However, if you're anxious it's easy to imagine everybody's looking at you. I used to feel like this all the time when I was around 14 - eaten up with self-consciousness. I know it's terribly hard to remember when you feel like this, but the only person most people are actually interested in is themselves.

One thing to do when you're out is to try to look confident, even (and especially) if you're not. Stand tall, lift your ribcage right out of your pelvis, drop your shoulders, especially if they're at all hunched up - you have to consciously relax them - keep your head and chin up. Try it in the mirror at home and see the difference it makes.

Keep a little tiny smile on your face, as if you're thinking of a private joke.

Another thing - a lot of people who come across as blithely confident are still a mass of insecurity underneath. They've just learnt to cover it up.

And if you really think someone is gawping at you, here's a trick my mother told me ages ago. Look back, not at their face, but at the top of their head. It makes people think there's something wrong, a leaf stuck in their hair or something, and they very soon look away. (Not perhaps to be recommended in rougher 'Worra you lookin' at'?' areas, though. ;))

Edit: a lot of young children just stare at other people anyway. It can be a mite unnerving if you're susceptible, but either they're too young to realize it's 'rude' or their mothers haven't told them not to. It doesn't mean anything. Just ignore it, or give them a smile and then look away.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Well you are lucky. I feel I`m being stalked. She`s always at the bus stop anytime of the day when I travel to Town.

On the return journey no sign of her until we arrive at the next Bus Stop and there she is as she climbs aboard.

Sitting in my Kitchen at the front of the house she passes my window now and again. :blink:

Alimony demands alot more than the balance in your savings account.

HOLA4422

To the OP>

Here's a secret.

Try wearing sunglasses, it instantly gives you the psychological edge. If you go to a coffee culture city, many people wear sunglasses even inside shops. Famous people also do that so they aren't spotted.

And remember, why are you are looking at the serfs? They are scum (except sexy women). No one has the right to look into your eyes and you can just ignore them if they try to talk to you. Empower yourself.

When you build up confidence, then you can make a conversation - tell em' about HPC, bonds, CDOs, I'm sure you're all experts now. Turn it into a sport.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My eye is caught by unusual things. Otherwise I will just glance at people at carry on.

If, as seems likely from your post, you have an unusual reaction to that casual glance then that reaction in itself will be sufficient to hold my look for slightly longer as I try to work out why you're acting unusually.

Archived