House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldilocksporridge

How Important Are Good Looks

Although looks are a matter of opinion - it obvious that someone attractive is treated differently by other people. Attractive people are more likely to get a job than an ugly person, life is easier in some ways for them, there treated a bit better and people like having them around.

Although on the downside Good looking people are always envied by the less attractive and downright ugly people - In the workplace attractive people can be seen as being lightweight or not that good at their job just because they happen to look good - if your a spotty, geeky, speccy software engineer then you get more respect because you look like a bit of geek, if the same job is done by stunning blond female who happens to be good software engineer then the same respect is not as forthcoming. Attractive people have to be extra nice so they are not seen as being arrogant by the less attractive.

less attractive people can just get on with their business without being noticed, they fade into the background, whilst more attractive people have their every move scrutinised by jealous uglies.

Can good looks be a curse?

The most important thing in terms of attractiveness is confidence. Real, deep down, inner confidence. Not 'pretending' to be confident, which people can usually see through.

Of course, if your good looking, you're more likely to be confident.

The most important thing in terms of attractiveness is confidence. Real, deep down, inner confidence. Not 'pretending' to be confident, which people can usually see through.

I disagree a lot of the good looking types are just as fragile as everybody else, they need just as much confirmation and affirmation as everybody else. Sometimes they are even more fragile than others as they have a low tolerance to abuse...

Me I get abuse all of the time and it just washes off my back..... but then again I was raised by Asian parents where the main tactic of raising them is to regularly undermine their confidence.

What's the quickest way to get that? So you don't feel like you're "going against the grain" when you're saying one thing but feeling the opposite.

I agree with your last point; to a point.

I think being good looking shares a lot of the same problems that rich people have. People want to associate with you just because of your looks in some vain hope it will make them more attractive. People want to date you just to have a trophy to hang off their arm rather than because they enjoy your company. Although this can have advantages, i reckon it could also lead to distrust in others and a feeling of isolation. Certainly from my experience, some of the most beautiful women i have met also tend to be the lonliest and most fragile.

I think being good looking shares a lot of the same problems that rich people have. People want to associate with you just because of your looks in some vain hope it will make them more attractive. People want to date you just to have a trophy to hang off their arm rather than because they enjoy your company. Although this can have advantages, i reckon it could also lead to distrust in others and a feeling of isolation. Certainly from my experience, some of the most beautiful women i have met also tend to be the lonliest and most fragile.

Spot on!

All the adverts you see are fake and loads of blemish/body retouching goes on (makes other girlies feel even more inferior of somone, who in reality doesn't exist! They either hate, coz of jealousy or worship & idolise them!)

They have just as many hangups (if not more) as 'normal' people and some turn into supa_bitches (to cope/hide their insecurities & . . . being used as said above!).

As you truthfully say, many are lonely and most men won't interact with them properly!

(Usually just a one-nighter conquest or pretty face to tag on to ones arm)

In my case yes

Have you spotted Cate Blanchetts 'natural' ears?

I thought the ones in L.O.T Rings were fakes! :D

If good looks were that much of a curse then people wouldn't spend £millions each year on plastic surgery. Nobody goes to a surgeon asking for a larger nose or more sticky out ears etc so they can get over the trauma of being good looking!

Being attractive just gives you more options, if you're very handsome then you can always do things to make it less obvious like grow a beard, wear crap clothes or put on weight. If you're ugly it's impossible to make yourself attractive as easily, it would take time, planning and a lot of cash and even then there's no guarantee.

Personally I'm satisfied with the idea that good looks mean better genetics, but some attractive people become ugly before their time; like Claire Richards from steps who ballooned after her pop career or George Best who despite having everything ruined himself with drink.

Although looks are a matter of opinion - it obvious that someone attractive is treated differently by other people. Attractive people are more likely to get a job than an ugly person, life is easier in some ways for them, there treated a bit better and people like having them around.

Although on the downside Good looking people are always envied by the less attractive and downright ugly people - In the workplace attractive people can be seen as being lightweight or not that good at their job just because they happen to look good - if your a spotty, geeky, speccy software engineer then you get more respect because you look like a bit of geek, if the same job is done by stunning blond female who happens to be good software engineer then the same respect is not as forthcoming. Attractive people have to be extra nice so they are not seen as being arrogant by the less attractive.

less attractive people can just get on with their business without being noticed, they fade into the background, whilst more attractive people have their every move scrutinised by jealous uglies.

Quick answer to that one - if you were about to have a sproglet of your own, what would you wish for it? Good looks or not?

I know what I'd choose.

Mind you the less attractive have a great advantage as they age - they don't have the looks to lose.

Its not about good looks. You can be quite dowdy, but if you give the right message.....I LIKE YOU...then you will look more attractive to the other person.

People LOVE to be LOVED.

So, look like you like them a lot...try it at interview...

Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary I always assume a good-looking woman is going to be a right pain in the posterior, high maintenance, daddy's little princess, shoes and handbags obsessed etc. etc. and they generally are exactly this. I find okay-looking women far more agreeable to spend any length of time with.

Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary I always assume a good-looking woman is going to be a right pain in the posterior, high maintenance, daddy's little princess, shoes and handbags obsessed etc. etc. and they generally are exactly this. I find okay-looking women far more agreeable to spend any length of time with.

If a woman is shoes-and-handbags obsessed, it's a fair bet she'll be wearing plenty enough to send me running a mile when first seen. There are some lovely ladies who are also sensible[1].

[1] Oh dear, am I a hopeless romantic? :wacko:

Beauty comes from within...it is amazing how good looking someone can get when you get to know them. ;)

And after a few pints! :huh:

Spot on!

All the adverts you see are fake and loads of blemish/body retouching goes on (makes other girlies feel even more inferior of somone, who in reality doesn't exist! They either hate, coz of jealousy or worship & idolise them!)

They have just as many hangups (if not more) as 'normal' people and some turn into supa_bitches (to cope/hide their insecurities & . . . being used as said above!).

As you truthfully say, many are lonely and most men won't interact with them properly!

(Usually just a one-nighter conquest or pretty face to tag on to ones arm)

I think the inverse is also true in some cases. People who are very insecure in themselves go to extraordinary lengths to make themselves attractive. Dressing in nice clothes, beaming smile and all the talk and actions you would expect from a film star. Wheras more sensible and secure people dont feel the need to go to such lengths and may appear dowdy and boring in comparison.

When i see the hollywood starlet type of women the alarm bells start ringing as i sense trouble. However, i still find myself drawn to them.

When i see the hollywood starlet type of women the alarm bells start ringing as i sense trouble. However, i still find myself drawn to them.

I usually find myself drawn away from that sort. Too much trouble, I do wonder if they have a more difficult time of it than plainer girls. Probably not..the dating game is easy for girls. Just turn up and look pretty, whereas guys have to tick a list of about 20 boxes.

Nonsense Frank, some of the good looking women I have met have been okay-looking as well!

I'm still looking for a brewery heiress with a spare Aston-Martin.. :huh: