House Price Crash Forum

Just Done A Very Stupid Thing

Pick It Down

HOLA441

Go to cashpoint, request £100, take back card. Walk off. Wtf :rolleyes:

Walk around Tesco, get my shopping, realise there's no cash in my pocket..wtf..run outside and there's some kind soul who willingly gives back the £100. B) (just a Metro so I was in there 2 mins tops)

I thought this was Yorkshire?

I stood there for two seconds thinking whether I should give him some money but thought it would be crass, it's not a huge amount but thanked him twice and continued my shopping and thanked my lucky stars. The security hadn't even bothered following me out as I rushed out with £20 worth of shopping in my basket :D

HOLA442

Walk around Tesco, get my shopping, realise there's no cash in my pocket..wtf..run outside and there's some kind soul who willingly gives back the £100. B) (just a Metro so I was in there 2 mins tops)

I stood there for two seconds thinking whether I should give him some money but thought it would be crass, it's not a huge amount but thanked him twice and continued my shopping and thanked my lucky stars. The security hadn't even bothered following me out as I rushed out with £20 worth of shopping in my basket :D

Nice to know there are still decent people about :).

HOLA443

I've almost done that once. I think the robot takes over.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Me too. As a result of being on the phone at the cashpoint and totally losing concentration.

I've nearly done this so many times I've lost count. Fortunately, having worked in a bank I jussst stop myself in the nick of time.

I'm REALLY bad at paying for something at a counter and then just walking off without what I've bought. Probably because I'm so used to paying for petrol where I walk off without taking anything physical away. Oh well, it gives the staff a giggle. :)

HOLA447

Many years ago ... then-girlfriend and I were cycle-touring in North Wales.

Arrived at a pub up on the moors just before nine, got ourselves a very nice meal. They asked if we were looking for somewhere to camp, and said we were welcome to the open moor just behind the pub (if they hadn't, we'd just've gone a little further away). So after eating, we used the pub's facilities for a bit of a wash, and put up the tent.

Final checks: hey, where's my wallet? Hmm, last used it to pay for our meal: had I left it in the pub? Past last orders, but there's still activity as I go to look for it. But before I reach the pub, meet a man coming the other way: he found my wallet where I'd left it in the gents, and was bringing it out to me.

Phew!

HOLA448

Many years ago ... then-girlfriend and I were cycle-touring in North Wales.

Arrived at a pub up on the moors just before nine, got ourselves a very nice meal. They asked if we were looking for somewhere to camp, and said we were welcome to the open moor just behind the pub (if they hadn't, we'd just've gone a little further away). So after eating, we used the pub's facilities for a bit of a wash, and put up the tent.

Final checks: hey, where's my wallet? Hmm, last used it to pay for our meal: had I left it in the pub? Past last orders, but there's still activity as I go to look for it. But before I reach the pub, meet a man coming the other way: he found my wallet where I'd left it in the gents, and was bringing it out to me.

Phew!

That story was sort of going in the direction of "....and the young couple were never seen again." Closing scene of another couple being served the pub's home made meat pies made from their own pigs fed on a "special" diet!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I once found a wallet in the street. Obviously I wanted to return it but there was no address for the owner just a bank card some student ID, a fiver and laughingly the strip of paper you get from the bank with your PIN number on it.

Anyway I whipped it round to the Cop Shop and left it with them and within a couple of hours a youth came knocking on my door to thank me for handing it in. Which I thought was nice of him.

I took the opportunity of reminding him not to leave his PIN number in his wallet with his bank card. :D

HOLA4411

I am constantly amazed at both how nasty people can be but also just how nice they can be too.

Interesting comment. I think people are naturally nice but to be nasty they have to think about it.

I wonder if most people now having seen the TV mock-ups of such situations wonder if £100 appearing at a cashpoint is really a test on them and they are being videod to see what they do.

I think back to a few years back now when I was skint and saw someone walking along with a £10 barely in their pocket, I followed them to wait for it to fall out.... :(:rolleyes::ph34r:

HOLA4412

Interesting comment. I think people are naturally nice but to be nasty they have to think about it.

There are many nice people, but there are others who's throats I could cheerfully slit. Like the one who drove into my daughters car and tried to pin the blame on her, whilst saying with a cocky laugh, "I've got a protected no claims bonus, how about you?". Fortunately, she has video evidence of the incident and the smarmy git is about to get his comeuppance.

HOLA4413

My wife left her purse in a drawer in the hotel room in Milan. The next people found it and with no address, could only indentify the bank she was with. The actually posted it to Barclays, who then wrote to her to tell her they had it.

I am constantly amazed at both how nasty people can be but also just how nice they can be too.

My daughter lost her purse at Waterloo station, at the height of the evening rush hour. Didn't realise until she was on the train home.

Assuming it had been lifted (she can be careless about closing her bag) she cancelled all cards.

Next morning, called in at Lost Property on the minute off-chance.

Lo and hallelujah, some kind soul had handed it in - all cash and (cancelled) cards intact.

Does restore your faith a wee bit. Don't think I'd have put even a measly quid on anyone handing it in.

,Edit: actually, I think the vast majority of people, wherever you go in the world, are nice. It's

just the 1% you have to watch out for. That's what I used to tell gap-year-ing kids, anyway, and still think it's true. And 1% in any teeming city is a lot.

Just in case anyone feels like having a go, they both worked and saved for those. No sponsor-my-jolly please stuff.

HOLA4414

Last Saturday I was making a payment into my account. As I filled in the deposit form I realised that there was £20 cash sitting on the shelf . No-one else was nearby.

I handed it into a staff member. I don't like my bank, so just to be a bit awkward I insisted on a receipt. They looked at me nonplussed. I wasn't paying the money into my own account, I was handing it in as lost property, and they had to scurry off and find a manager. It gave me the opportunity to make a few remarks about wanting a receipt because i did not trust the bank :D

Edit: No prizes for guessing which Bank.

HOLA4415

Last Saturday I was making a payment into my account. As I filled in the deposit form I realised that there was £20 cash sitting on the shelf . No-one else was nearby.

I handed it into a staff member. I don't like my bank, so just to be a bit awkward I insisted on a receipt. They looked at me nonplussed. I wasn't paying the money into my own account, I was handing it in as lost property, and they had to scurry off and find a manager. It gave me the opportunity to make a few remarks about wanting a receipt because i did not trust the bank :D

Edit: No prizes for guessing which Bank.

Why on earth did you hand it into the bank? Might have just as well got a receipt of Joe Stranger - and given it to him.

Should have gone to the Police. It comes to you if no one claims.

HOLA4416

Why on earth did you hand it into the bank? Might have just as well got a receipt of Joe Stranger - and given it to him.

Should have gone to the Police. It comes to you if no one claims.

I thought about that, but as it was on bank premises, it would be awkawrd if i had walked out with the money and someone had stopped me. I decided it was not worth the risk.

HOLA4417

I thought about that, but as it was on bank premises, it would be awkawrd if i had walked out with the money and someone had stopped me. I decided it was not worth the risk.

I'd've asked them about the charity box.

Most shops have one. Never tried in a bank, but I'd ham up the surprise and horror a bit if they didn't have one.

Archived