House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
buyerbeware

South Yorkshire

Not directly related to the but forum but I expect a number of posters could advise. i am looking at a job in Barnsley and would like to know the best towns to live that are a reasonable commute say 20 miles and good for schools. I don't know anything about Barnsley, but I haven't read much to support as a destination of choice.

Plenty of nice places to live up here - S.Yorks is one of the country's prettiest places IMHO.

Try looking west of Doncaster: lots of lovely little ancient villages dotted around what is basically open fields as far as the eye can see: Hickleton, Barnburgh, Cadeby, Sprotbrough (the old part) Cusworth, Brodsworth, High Melton etc.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to the neighbourhood. You'll find people here to be some of the friendliest you'll ever meet.

Sorry to disagree with one of the other posters but I'd be looking West of Barnsley in the triangle between Denby Dale (sounds nicer than it is) Silkstone and West Bretton. Cawthorne is a lovely area with Cannon Hall Estate very close.

buyerbeware

Are you from a different part of Yorkshire or a total newcomer?

As piddypuss says there are several very nice villages over the Doncaster border.

The other alternative is the area west of the M1 ie between Barnsley and Penistone.

But wherever you look it will be cheap in comparison to equivalents almost anywhere else in the country.

buyerbeware

Are you from a different part of Yorkshire or a total newcomer?

As piddypuss says there are several very nice villages over the Doncaster border.

The other alternative is the area west of the M1 ie between Barnsley and Penistone.

But wherever you look it will be cheap in comparison to equivalents almost anywhere else in the country.

Total newcomer originally from Scotalnd but have been overseas for 20 years.

(I've offended everyone else - why should Barnsley be any different?)

I like that :D

I'm from Leeds and going to Barsley is like going back in time 50 years and it gets even worse if you venture out into the old pit villages.

I like that biggrin.gif

I'm from Leeds and going to Barsley is like going back in time 50 years and it gets even worse if you venture out into the old pit villages.

Grimethorpe. Enough said!

Grimethorpe. Enough said!

Nearly bought a house in Grimethorpe. Lovely house, but my god what a depressed area.

Grimethorpe Wikipedia - some reading material for the OP.

Grimethorpe has gained a reputation as the most long-term deprived community in Great Britain and many of the houses from its coal-mining days have been demolished. In 1994, the European Union's study of deprivation named Grimethorpe as the poorest village in the country and amongst the poorest in Europe. For a village, levels of crime and drug abuse have been chronically high. Unemployment was above 50% for much of the 1990s and a large proportion of the population are disabled, having suffered injuries down the coal mines. Several regeneration projects have caused fortunes to improve in recent years and the village is starting to regain its self-respect, but it still suffers from social poverty.

But hey house prices are cheap :D

Plenty of nice places to live up here - S.Yorks is one of the country's prettiest places IMHO.

Try looking west of Doncaster: lots of lovely little ancient villages dotted around what is basically open fields as far as the eye can see: Hickleton, Barnburgh, Cadeby, Sprotbrough (the old part) Cusworth, Brodsworth, High Melton etc.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to the neighbourhood. You'll find people here to be some of the friendliest you'll ever meet.

Absolutely right. We had a wonderful holiday in Yorkshire this summer. The southerners could learn a thing or two about being friendly from the northerners.

Absolutely right. We had a wonderful holiday in Yorkshire this summer. The southerners could learn a thing or two about being friendly from the northerners.

Try Wentworth - very nice.