House Price Crash Forum

Council To Cut 1500 Jobs In Somerset

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

SCC had £25m with Icesave...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7662599.stm

I wonder if they got that back?

Over a thousand are going voluntarily (no doubt with hefty final salary pensions)... I remember reading about a chap who was employed at county hall to chart the history of Somerset. He'd been at it for nearly 40 years (and I think he was on roughly £35k a year), and he'd only got through roughly a third of the work...

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Most councils could easily half their work force.

They just have to stop imagining that they have to deal with EVERYTHING.

Just stop doing so much.

Get rid of anything involving the words "outreach" for starters.Stop translating every council document into umpteen languages - other countries do not do this for Brits living abroad, for example. Get rid of jobs involving nannying people or trying to tell them how to live their lives.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The proposed job losses will reduce the number of council staff from 6,500 to 5,000 over the next three years.

Still a lot of staff - what do they all do?

Half of them sit round a fire burning £5 notes from my business rates and the other half spend their time thinking up ways to make it more difficult for me to run my business. <_<

Edited by man o' the year

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

At the newsagent opposite my office building one council dept told them to put in a ramp for disabled access. So they did. Another dept then told them they weren't allowed a ramp and made them knock it down and put steps back. So they did.

Who will do this vital work if we sack council workers? :unsure:

HOLA4416

In Hereford this summer, the Council dug up and tarmaced a flower bed quite literally adjacent to another flower bed so that they could park their vehicle on it when they needed to tend the second flower bed. The locals complained and within three weeks the tarmac was pulled up and the flower bed reinstated. God help us!

HOLA4417

In Hereford this summer, the Council dug up and tarmaced a flower bed quite literally adjacent to another flower bed so that they could park their vehicle on it when they needed to tend the second flower bed. The locals complained and within three weeks the tarmac was pulled up and the flower bed reinstated. God help us!

OK, you win!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

There is a tendency for councils to get above themselves.

It is a consequence of human nature, people's desire to "big up" their job and their importance.

It is a plain fact that most of what local councils do is boring, routine stuff - keeping streets clean, collecting litter, roadworks, car parks, funding local schools, planning enforcement, etc etc.

People go into council jobs as a career, get frustrated at how routine and dull it all is, and then they find ways to increase the council's role because it makes them feel more important, more innovative, etc.

Hence councils always expanding their role, nosing into people's lives, etc.

This tendency needs to be resisted - it won't go away because it is human nature to empire-build.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Councils can sometimes have a lot of "legacy" spend.

For example, one very deprived London borough back in the 90s discovered it owned a series of holiday chalets and bathing huts on the East Coast and was also paying for a housekeeper and a gardener to tend to the property. The property had been a legacy from the inter-war period when they used to take borough children to the sea-side.

Makes you wonder who actually runs the books for some of these councils.

HOLA4422

Get rid of anything involving the words "outreach" for starters.

Why?

Outreach is actually posh council speak for front line.

They are people who help the disabled, unemployed and homeless and divert youths from a path of crime.

In other words the last people they should be getting rid of, not the first.

HOLA4423