House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Selling up

Falling House Prices Are A Good Thing

Editorial:

House Prices: Heading South

Contrary to what you might read in some newspapers, falling house prices would be a blessing. The house bubble of the noughties has handed billions of pounds to the older generation from young people who have had to take on giant mortgages to buy their homes. That was unsafe both for the purchasers and for the wider economy. But runaway prices also served to reinforce the wealth gap as rich parents were able to bung their kids big deposits, while middle- and working-class children got no such leg-up. An end to that unfair, unsafe regime can only be a good thing.

Fantastic to see this in the editorial section.

Fantastic to see this in the editorial section.

Yes, this is an unattributed editorial.

So the views are the views of The Guardian newspaper, not an individual collumist.

amazing what the media does, i seen people at work in panic, one person wondering if to cancel the home they are almost going to buy, and leave it for a year

biggrin.gif

Welcome to the BearWave.

wink.gif

amazing what the media does, i seen people at work in panic, one person wondering if to cancel the home they are almost going to buy, and leave it for a year

:D

amazing

I know one ex colleague first time buyer whose gf just got a 70k leg up to buy a place from the bank of ma & pa - so the couple just took on a mortgage making them liable for around 100k each.

Another girl I know was celebrating in recent weeks on facebook that she 'finally owns her place' (has a mortgage) and can now take things out of their cardboard boxes that have been left packed since the 90's :blink:

The only 'like' she got was from her mum :ph34r:

I know one ex colleague first time buyer whose gf just got a 70k leg up to buy a place from the bank of ma & pa - so the couple just took on a mortgage making them liable for around 100k each.

Another girl I know was celebrating in recent weeks on facebook that she 'finally owns her place' (has a mortgage) and can now take things out of their cardboard boxes that have been left packed since the 90's :blink:

The only 'like' she got was from her mum :ph34r:

Senseis returning to the land ?!

Good article. One day we might even get some sense from the BBC rather than this sort of rubbish. It seems they have got so desperate that they are now ramping the stagnant market theory!

The UK housing market has reached a plateau this summer - a situation welcomed by some, but a source of despair for others.

Here is a picture of a plateau.

What do you notice on either side?

opoul_plateau.jpg

Maybe I spend too much time following property news, but it seems almost en vogue to say house prices falling are a good thing.

Hear hear!

All we need now is to actually see it happening with asking prices! :rolleyes: