House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'seething' Brown Claims Moral High Ground – But Will Not Attack His Old Ally

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/seething-brown-claims-moral-high-ground-ndash-but-will-not-attack-his-old-ally-2069230.html

Gordon Brown is said to be "seething" and "dismayed" about Tony Blair's searing criticism of him in his memoirs but yesterday told aides not to respond in kind.

Instead, claiming the moral high ground, he announced how he plans to devote his spare time to working without payment to improve conditions in the world's poorest countries.

The former prime minister will be paid up to £64,000 for some speeches, to fund a London-based Office of Gordon and Sarah Brown, with a staff of two or three. Mr Blair has a staff of about 130 for his work as a Middle East peace envoy; projects in Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Liberia; a London office and his sports and inter-faith foundations. He is said to have been paid up to £250,000 for speeches and to have earned £20m since leaving Downing Street in 2007.

Mr Brown's slimmer operation will be headed by Kirsty McNeill, his former speechwriter who was in charge of external affairs at Downing Street. Once a left-wing activist, she is said to have once shouted at Tony Blair that he was "Thatcher in disguise".

That view may be shared today by others in the Brown camp after Mr Blair's book accused Mr Brown of losing this year's election because he abandoned New Labour, and described him as "a strange guy" who had "zero" emotional intelligence.

Unlike Mr Blair, who left the Commons on standing down as Prime Minister, Mr Brown will stay on as MP for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath. He will not receive a a salary from his new office, which has been registered with Companies House and the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.

Yesterday Mr Brown announced several new global policy initiatives. He will collaborate with Queen Rania of Jordan by joining the Global Campaign for Education's High Level Panel on Education for All as a Convenor.

He will take forward a programme of work on increasing internet access in Africa. He has accepted Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the worldwide web, to join the board of his foundation, which seeks to advance the internet as a global medium that empowers people to bring about positive change. "Each of these positions are pro bono and Mr Brown will not accept any remuneration," his spokesman said. "He will continue to write on global issues, as he has been doing recently with articles on the desperate plight of those in Pakistan and Niger."

He added: "Gordon and Sarah have always made clear they are determined to continue to make their contribution to public life and these latest initiatives are a sign of Gordon's priorities for the future."

God help the poor if this idiot is going to "help" them.

Even working for free you wouldn't want this mans help.

Instead, claiming the moral high ground, he announced how he plans to devote his spare time to working without payment to improve conditions in the world's poorest countries.

Guilt ridden? Sounds like the former slavetrader who wrote "Amazing Grace" and spend the rest of his reformed life trying to serve the poor and needy.

I just cannot see Brown as this type of character though. Vicious and vindictive people usually do not chnage that easily.

Guilt ridden? Sounds like the former slavetrader who wrote "Amazing Grace" and spend the rest of his reformed life trying to serve the poor and needy.

I just cannot see Brown as this type of character though. Vicious and vindictive people usually do not chnage that easily.

There is more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than a hundred righteous people. John Newton sincerely repented, he saw exactly what he had done and made no bones about confessing it - these politiicians have a gift for self-deception. Brown still sincerely believes he is the people's man just as Blair believes that he is the Western world's guardian and protector.

If Brown is seething and dismayed as he's holed up in Kirkcaldy writing his book, then I hope the local constabulary are checking in on the house regularly.

I have serious concerns about the safety of Sarah and the boys.

He has accepted Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the worldwide web, to join the board of his foundation, which seeks to advance the internet as a global medium that empowers people to bring about positive change.

He's the NWO representative.

Empowerment my ar5e.

Guilt ridden?  Sounds like the former slavetrader who wrote "Amazing Grace" and spend the rest of his reformed life trying to serve the poor and needy.

I just cannot see Brown as this type of character though.  Vicious and vindictive people usually do not chnage that easily.

Doesn't Gordon already have a full time job as an MP?

He has accepted Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the worldwide web, to join the board of his foundation, which seeks to advance the internet as a global medium that empowers people to bring about positive change.

It already does that , another useless organisation.

He added: "Gordon and Sarah have always made clear they are determined to continue to make their contribution to public life and these latest initiatives are a sign of Gordon's priorities for the future."

Gushing with pompous, disingenuous altruism. Bloody phoneys. So far up their own anuses. So full of themselves. But how would the world manage without their "contribution"?

God help the poor if this idiot is going to "help" them.

Even working for free you wouldn't want this mans help.

Just think your poor. Struggling to feed yourself and your family, keep a roof over your head, trying to educate your children, your country may have just suffered from a devastating earthquake or flood or some other natural disaster. You think your life couldn't possible get any worse.

You then find out that Gordon Brown is coming to help!!!

Although I suppose most of the world's poor have no idea who the hell Gordon Brown is, and to be honest I think it will stay that way.

Hopefully his 'help' will be limited to doing the tea and coffee runs.

Sounds too technical for me, how many tea's and coffees is he expected to fetch? I'm sure if he only had to fetch one there's a 50/50 chance he'd bring the wrong one.

I don't like those odds.

I would suggest he either does the tea run or the coffee run don't risk him doing both.