House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Where's The Most Fascinating Place You've Been In This Country?

I'm a big fan of the west country, I've roamed around Dartmoor and wotnot, and I know someone whose got a national trust season ticket (or something like that) and he's going up & down the country...so is there somewhere really interesting I should go... Some time, I'd really like to have a butchers at the Highlands... I'm waiting for the first answer to be ..go...and **** off! :)

Pardon the hijack, but if anyone wants to add the spots worth seeing in Liverpool, I'd be most grateful. I'm heading North next week, and the wife wants to see the place for a day or so. But I haven't a clue what to head for..

Define Fascinating.

What is fascinating for me might not be for you, but seeing as you like Dartmoor do you find letterboxing fascinating?

I think Devon is fascinating for its varied landscapes, you have in essence the whole of the UK in one county and its got so much to offer but you have to get out there and explore although if you look in the right places you can even find nuggets of gold in one part of Devon and not alot of people know that!

Don't really know...perhaps interesting...a bit off the typical tourist trail....I'm not a huge fan of crowds.. I did do orienteering when I was at school...that was quite good.....

Fascinating is probably a word I'd use for man made attractions rather than natural phenomena. Our industrial heritage or historical importance and I doubt many people would be allowed to tell you some of the things they'd seen.

The countryside can many other things to me, impresssive, beautiful, etc. and if I'm honest I've seen so little of it to be able to say.

Facinating for me would have to be Avebury and surrounds, the avenue and Silbury Hill.

You actually get to walk through a prehistoric ritual landscape, both amazing and beautiful.

I am amazed how little known it is.

Pardon the hijack, but if anyone wants to add the spots worth seeing in Liverpool, I'd be most grateful. I'm heading North next week, and the wife wants to see the place for a day or so. But I haven't a clue what to head for..

Umm, Penny Lane and anything else to do with the Beatles? Get down to the Albert Dock for views of the Liver building; that area should be ok as it's where a new shopping centre was built recently and probably some museums down there also. Get a ferry across the Mersey?

Not a local, but I read 'Pies and Prejudice' and that's what I remember was mentioned in there when he visited Liverpool.

Lonely Planet Link

Guest eight

Fascinating is probably a word I'd use for man made attractions rather than natural phenomena. Our industrial heritage or historical importance and I doubt many people would be allowed to tell you some of the things they'd seen.

The Falkirk Wheel. I came across it having previously been totally ignorant of its existence and have to admit I was staggered.

eight

Jaywick. For all the wrong reasons. A bit like what id expect Beirut to be like, except filled with shady shaven headed and tatooed east end characters. Fascinating only because it seems to have escaped the gentrification/regeneration thats turned every other run down place into looking the same.

Totnes in Devon.

Basically a Tudor town that got frozen in time when Dartmouth took over as the local port, then missed out completely on the industrial revolution. By the time town planning arrived, people recognised the value of what they had and left it alone.

Like an upmarket Winchester. Strangely, it's very wealthy as a centre for alternative medicine companies - full of hippies in maseratis.

Driving there is a bit tricky, but lovely countryside as well.

Interesting article on the place from the telegraph in 2007:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3359800/Property-in-Totnes-Wizards-of-the-wacky-West.html

Seriously, the Albert Dock is good for real history.The Beatles Museum is there too. See the Liver Building, then walk up Matthew Street, taking in the Cavern Club and ity's full of good bars and restaurants. Around this area you'll see all the architecture which is really Liverpool's prode and joy, all caused by the fact that it was once the world's premier port and as such very rich people used to base themselves there.

So it sounds like the Albert Dock is the best location to head for, especially since my wife is a real Beatles fan.

Blackpool promenade, Saturday night.

Are you serious, or is it full of p***heads? I'll be staying very near Blackpool, so we're bound to pop down there.

I'm also considering the Lake district. We'll leave Manchester for next year though I think. If you try to cram too much in to a holiday, it's ceases to be a holiday.

Lizard point, Land's End, Ardnamurchan, Cape Wrath, Dunnet Head, Duncansby Head/John O Groats, Lowestoft Ness, Dungeness.

Ardnamurchan Lighthouse is especially beautiful.

When you've done all them, there's always Meriden - the centre of England.

I'm not a fan of stately homes etc, I prefer a walk on a blustery beach - the North Norfolk coast is great - especially the expansive beaches - Holkham, Wells, Stiffkey...

I just realised our visit will coincide with the Blackpool illuminations. Looks interesting.

Should be chavtastic.

For anyone who likes boating, Lough Erne in Northern Ireland. The most uncrowded, unspoilt and varied waterway in the UK by a mile.

The Shannon is a beautiful cruise. And lots of pubs to stop at.

Borth, Ceredigion - see fossilised trees from centuries ago when the tide rolls out

Worsley, Salford - see the first ever inland canal. Now tainted orange due to the iron oxide in the water. They dyed the waters back to "normal" when Queen Victoria visited.

Huddersfield - home of the rugby league museum and best pub in England (the Grove Inn - http://www.groveinn.co.uk/ )

Caersws - best fish&chips I've ever had

Cornwall - the best beaches in the UK

The Shannon is a beautiful cruise. And lots of pubs to stop at.

It is, but I've done both and the Erne is better in my opinion. Much more variety in terms of both scenery and stuff to see. Cheaper at the moment and plenty of pubs as well! Honestly, it's an overlooked gem.

The Dorset coast is breath taking anywhere from Poole to Lyme Regis is worth a visit, My favourite places below:-

Chesil Beach, Abbotsbury.

portland_from_abbotsbury.jpg

Durdle Dor

2200DurdleDoor.jpg

Lulworth Cove

2371LulworthCove.jpg

Great sea fishing all along the coast :)

post-12574-12836218259609_thumb.jpg

It is, but I've done both and the Erne is better in my opinion. Much more variety in terms of both scenery and stuff to see. Cheaper at the moment and plenty of pubs as well! Honestly, it's an overlooked gem.

Thanks. Enniskillen is on the shore of Loch Erne - am I thinking of the right place? I went fishing out of that town once and got told off for dropping a match in the water after lighting a cigarette. Only spent a couple of hours on the water, so will look into it again.

ps. Isn't the Shannon linked with the Erne system now?