House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Me Peace As Far Away As Ever?

Netenyahu seems to misunderstand the concept of peace, stating : "Security is the basis for peace."

Really? I don't know anyone or anything that builds peace on such a foundation. Security is needed by the the threatened and the paranoid, in an atmosphere of real or perceived danger.

On the contrary, peace begins as security is withdrawn and replaced by trust. It is trust that is thus the basis for peace. Security obviates the need for trust and thus always impedes its progress.

Netanyahu is the man who tore up the 1993 peace agreement, pursued a policy of vigorously expanding Israel's Lebensraum, and made it abundantly clear that nothing short of a Final Solution would be acceptable to him. And the west - headed by the husband of the current US secretary of state - stood back and did nothing!

If anything positive happens now, we can infer a fundamental behind-the-scenes change in the American attitude, involving major pressure.

The Peace Process is irrelevant. Like Apartheid South Africa before it, Israel will eventually collapse, not because of military defeat but because the methods necessary to sustain it will be unacceptable to its own people as well as the wider world. The Zionist project already appears hopelessly marooned in history, harking back to an era of imperialism and desperately trying to keep the self-justifying memory of the Holocaust alive.

Forget the relative claims and justifications. Who cares what atrocities each side has committed? So much time is pointlessly wasted arguing about such irrelevances. Israel, as a concept, is already on a slow but steady decline. What Israel needs more than anything else is not peace or security but acceptance and that is gradually slipping from its grasp. As a state it is rotting from within.

Netenyahu seems to misunderstand the concept of peace, stating : "Security is the basis for peace."

Really? I don't know anyone or anything that builds peace on such a foundation. Security is needed by the the threatened and the paranoid, in an atmosphere of real or perceived danger.

On the contrary, peace begins as security is withdrawn and replaced by trust. It is trust that is thus the basis for peace. Security obviates the need for trust and thus always impedes its progress.

Link? edit: Found it:

For his part, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asked the Palestinians to trace the killers in order to save the Middle East peace process.

"The last few days were difficult," Netanyahu said. "They were exceedingly difficult for my people and for me. Blood has been shed. The blood of innocents. Four innocent Israelis gunned down brutally. Two people wounded."

"President Abbas, you condemned this killing. That's important, " he said. "No less important is to find the killers. And equally, to make sure that we can stop other killers who seek to kill our people, kill our state, kill our peace."

"So achieving security is a must. Security is the foundation of peace. Without it peace will unravel. With it, peace can be stable and enduring," the Israeli prime minister said.

What do you object to about that statement? If you currently are "insecure" you cannot achieve peace until you have security.

This is what he said yesterday:

"This will not be easy," Mr Netanyahu said as talks began. "A true peace, a lasting peace, (would) be achieved only with mutual and painful concessions from both sides."

"The people of Israel, and I as their prime minister, are prepared to walk this road and to go a long way - a long way in a short time - to achieve a genuine peace that will bring our people security, prosperity and good neighbors," Netanyahu added.

I really don't understand what your point is.

I really don't understand what your point is.