House Price Crash Forum

First, whilst introducing a very bearish Ed Stansfield, Anita Anand described falling house prices as bad for people wanting to move up the ladder?!?!?!?!?

After Ed Stansfield dished out some very sensible and easy to understand bear analysis of the immediate future for the housing market, Peter Allen asked for clarification.

Peter: Ed, are you saying house prices have got a further 20% to fall?

Ed: We said that the market had been 30-35% overvalued at its peak, and that the upturn recently could not be reconciled with the fortunes of the economy, so we believe that we are now seeing a continuation of those falls that were interrupted in April 2009.

Peter: Oh my, I think you've just sent a shudder through the whole country.

On the one hand, it was good that Ed Stansfield got a simple message across, but it shows that Auntie beeb doesnt employ people who understand impartiality.

Worth a listen on the iPlayer.

Peter: Oh my, I think you've just sent a shudder through the whole country.

Translation: "Oh sh*t, I should have offloaded my BTL's" ;)

I prefered the texts afterwards

One bear:

Wages have increased by 3% annually since 1997, house prices have increased by 20% (not sure it was quite that much) annually since 1997 a correction is required and desirable.

Two bulls

How dare you broadcast such bias

I'm an estate agent I've sold 8 houses this week, the market is on the up and up

I heard this and was thought it was very biased.

Also what really annoyed my was how Anita A implied that falling house prices were very bad for the economy WTF!

She also said how good falling house prices were for the first time buyer.

Ed Stansfield did sound good though , clear and concise.

Peter Allen said "Well if house prices fall that is everybody's pension ruined as well."

WTF I got the impression that every member of the BBC team in the studio has thier pensions dependent entirely in BTL.

Peter Allen said "Well if house prices fall that is everybody's pension ruined as well."

WTF I got the impression that every member of the BBC team in the studio has thier pensions dependent entirely in BTL.

He also said that for years we have been told that you can't go wrong with property and that perhaps property isn't the safe bet we were told.

He did more in them 2 minutes to stop speculators than years of words on here will ever achieve.

They are talking again about housprices now.

Anitia has just said "A 20% drop in houseprices it is shuddering."

She is now badgering a Tory MP to get banks to lend loads of money to FTB's.

Feck that is scary.

Where did she get a 20% figure from?

Yep, I heard this and was fuming.

"Prices might not return to normal for another 4 years..."

Normal.

Jesus fecking wept.

Yep, I heard this and was fuming.

"Prices might not return to normal for another 4 years..."

Normal.

Jesus fecking wept.

Really is quite astonishing, the complete disconnection by the media, and by extension the huge slice of the brainwashed population, between the banking crisis and by far the most visible symptom it caused. A society packed with utter windowlickers.

Edited by woof

Heard that part. The Tory M.P ended by saying that there were plans being drawn up to allow local authorities to start building council houses again. Not good for HPI, or indeed BTL landlords

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

Heard that part. The Tory M.P ended by saying that there were plans being drawn up to allow local authorities to start building council houses again. Not good for HPI, or indeed BTL landlords

...this is what the Tories did in the early to mid fifties .....realistic way forward combined with 'not a rent for life'...move when family circumstances change to bigger / smaller house and no more RTB......also helped the economy to move up .... :rolleyes:

This is one of the major factors in my hatred of the previous NuLabour Government.

Thatcher is often blamed for the lack of current council houses thanks to the right to buy schemes but lost somewhere in the rhetotric of the Labour party is that they were in power for 13 years and did nothing about it. If they gave half an ounce of thought to their 'key voters' they should have been building council housing on a large scale in every city, town and village in the UK.

I'm always amazed about how everyone writes off the building of social housing in the form of high rise estates in the 60's & 70's.

Great big leviathans of concrete, housing thousands of people in shoeboxes with no sense of community - disgusting - how could the architects of the time have been so blind? how could they NOT see that this is no way to live.

.....Cue to 2007...

ULTIMATE INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY in this highly-sought-after bijou executive development!!!

But let's not forget that in the intro to that the Tory MP (Michael Fallon I think) was dismissive about the previous fall in prices by saying that people were saying there would be a big fall (after the 20% was mentioned) and that hadn't happened, whereas of course according to the Haliwide indexes that is exactly what happened. He was waffling on about confidence, and complaining (along with Arnand) that banks weren't lending enough to potential buyers, even though as we all know it was the loose lending that was the root cause of their collective failure. There is an apalling re-write of history going on here.

Gobsmackingly though, she then went on to another story about a Chinese miner who carved out an underground house under his small shack and that cos it was underground there was nothing the authorities could do about it in terms of tax. But the intro to that story was that "global" house prices were so high and how awful it was! :angry:

This is one of the major factors in my hatred of the previous NuLabour Government.

Thatcher is often blamed for the lack of current council houses thanks to the right to buy schemes but lost somewhere in the rhetotric of the Labour party is that they were in power for 13 years and did nothing about it. If they gave half an ounce of thought to their 'key voters' they should have been building council housing on a large scale in every city, town and village in the UK.

Did you see Blair squirm in the Andrew Marr interview when he was asked about his BTL portfolio. He did his vague confused look and then changed the subject to his life of public service. <_<

How much longer do we have to tolerate this bunch of sleezy conartists who take us all for fools (NuLabour).

Edited by Reluctant Heretic