House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pajd

Houses Not Selling?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2696903

#1 henpecked1 31-08-2010, 9:17 PM

MoneySaving Stalwart

Is streetview killing the market?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just a wonderment really on whether viewings are down because of streetview. In the olden days of 2009 before streetview got going, we would normally rely on a piccie before we drove round and found the real reason the place was a dump.

take this property in Thame, looks nice enough, keenly priced

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

however, i ruled it out on account of the streetview

if you pan left there is rubbish bags. if you pan right there are rubbish cars, clapped out Cavalier and Fiesta

Edited by pajd

The abuse of our language gets worse by the day .... from that post ...

"just a wonderment really on whether viewings are down because of streetview"

You hear this a lot on the box these days, particularly from young people. They just open their mouths and words come out - but they often make no real sense.

'Just a wonderment!' The mind boggles.

You hear this a lot on the box these days, particularly from young people. They just open their mouths and words come out - but they often make no real sense.

It's not an abuse of our language at all, it is how our's and other language's evolve . Someone from two hundred years back speaking english would find you hard to understand and visa versa.

The English Dictionaray's constantly update to include new words , I notice that you blame young people for this , maybe they are the one's who change words to begin with before those same words go mainstream.

Oh dear. I'm not an English teacher or anything but:

It's not an abuse of our language at all, it is how our's ours and others language's languages evolve . Someone from two hundred years back speaking english English would find you hard to understand and visa vice versa.

The English Dictionaray's dictionaries(?) are constantly updated to include new words. , I noticed that you blame young people for this, maybe they are the one's ones who change words to begin with before those same words go mainstream.

And that's not even trying to re-write some of the dodgy sentences into something more legible.

Edit: I probably have something wrong there too so feel free to point and laugh, etc.

Back to OT:

I hope street view is making a big difference, as it will help people choose between a good house and a bad one - that way prices will hopefully move to reflect more the house and its area rather than just some speculative 'must get on the ladder now' value. Bad luck if you bought a house in the wrong area obviously, but meh.

Edited by efdemin

It's not an abuse of our language at all, it is how our's and other language's evolve . Someone from two hundred years back speaking english would find you hard to understand and visa versa.

The English Dictionaray's constantly update to include new words , I notice that you blame young people for this , maybe they are the one's who change words to begin with before those same words go mainstream.

I can write English quite well. I'm no good at maths though. It's ok though, because mathematics evolves. That could be why 3 bed semis now cost a quarter of a million...

People had an excuse back then though. Like being illeterate and not being entitled to free at the point of delivery education.

Nowadays people are just retarded and/or lazy.

I think its better to be pragmatic about these things though, i dont bother reading forum posts before i send them, obviously i make sure formal letters/emails are all in order, or, if i was an estate agent would go over my adverts.

You've had a good slap from efdemin - so I won't rub salt in the wound.

Language evolving is one thing - usually because slang words become mainstream or new words are invented around new inventions. But turning 'I was just wondering' into 'Just a wonderment' is surely just some weird combination of stupidity and weirdness.

You've had a good slap from efdemin - so I won't rub salt in the wound.

Language evolving is one thing - usually because slang words become mainstream or new words are invented around new inventions. But turning 'I was just wondering' into 'Just a wonderment' is surely just some weird combination of stupidity and weirdness.

Is the poster from Milton Keynes?

People had an excuse back then though. Like being illeterate and not being entitled to free at the point of delivery education.

I think its better to be pragmatic about these things though, i dont bother reading forum posts before i send them, obviously i make sure formal letters/emails are all in order, or, if i was an estate agent would go over my adverts.

Whats illeterate? Is it that naughty language thing evolving again. Its hard to keep up with!:lol:

Oh dear. I'm not an English teacher or anything but:

And that's not even trying to re-write some of the dodgy sentences into something more legible.

Edit: I probably have something wrong there too so feel free to point and laugh, etc.

Back to OT:

I hope street view is making a big difference, as it will help people choose between a good house and a bad one - that way prices will hopefully move to reflect more the house and its area rather than just some speculative 'must get on the ladder now' value. Bad luck if you bought a house in the wrong area obviously, but meh.

Yes i will correct you the place for the apostrophe is a matter for debate , some would say put it where I did some where you did . Have seen and heard it debated many times and there was no conclusion.

As for re-write some of the dodgy sentences into something more legible. To say that and then follow on with the sentaces that you did really is the pot calling the kettle black. Why not concentrate on your own sentences before commenting on others.

What is your excuse for totally missing the point. You must have had free at the point of delivery education so are you retarded and/or just lazy ?

I never said that people back then did not read , write or speak correctly . I said that language had evolved and changed neither is right or wrong just different.

Edited by miko

they probably have A*s at A-Level in English

I have one, it fell out of my cornflakes packet two weeks ago. Nice lookin fing too, i'm gonna stick it on me wall.

Doubt it, neighbour down the road has their place on the market, was £2.1m last year, no sale dropped it to £1.79m and its gone SSTC over the last month, and in Streetview you can see a Porsche 911 convertible parked in the road.

I think his house is the most expensive in town as well, 5mins walk from the station, 40min into Liverpool St.

Plus a few streets away a local builder is knocking up 12 new houses for £1.3m plus with 7 having their own swimmng pool and have about 7000sqft mind so not small houses but still too estate like for my liking.

Did you see the thread about one third of London new-builds in the last year having been bought by Chinese and Asian investors?

Just read it but dont know what angle you are coming from ie how is it related to the 12 new homes being built? are you wondering if any are being sold to overseas people?

If so I can ask who owns them as they are all sold off plan as far as I know and I saw one of my customers vans on site yesterday when I was walking the dog but dont know if there were suppling men, plant or both to the site.

I posted it simply because I wonder what the consequences for would-be buyers might be from this degree of overseas buying. It would be interesting if you could find out who is buying these off-plan 12 homes.

Edited by juvenal

Did you see the thread about one third of London new-builds in the last year having been bought by Chinese and Asian investors?

Today's Bricks and Mortar (Times) says 'Chinese investors and football fans are snapping up flats near the BBC's new hub' (Salford).

'Snapping up' being of course the B&M lot's must-have expression. I have a vision of Anne Ashworth tearing her hair and saying to her team, 'FGS, somebody, somewhere, must be snapping up something! Anyone sussing them out will get a bonus!'