House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashConnoisseur

Ebay Forced Sales - A Barometer Of Financial Distress?

Has anyone else noticed an increasing number of "forced to sell" auctions on eBay? Here's a good example...

'Apple Cinema Display HD 30" in ORIGINAL BOX, MINT':

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=230515736911

The very only reason I am FORCED to sell these is, that we need to raise some money for a family whom had been a victim of the recession and mortgage crisis.

A 'UK Only' search on "forced to sell" and similar phrases might be a useful indicator of the economy's financial health. Currently the "forced to sell" count stands at 335:

http://desc.shop.eba...&LH_TitleDesc=1

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

Has anyone else noticed an increasing number of "forced to sell" auctions on eBay? Here's a good example...

'Apple Cinema Display HD 30" in ORIGINAL BOX, MINT':

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=230515736911

A 'UK Only' search on "forced to sell" and similar phrases might be a useful indicator of the economy's financial health. Currently the "forced to sell" count stands at 335:

http://desc.shop.eba...&LH_TitleDesc=1

Were they FORCED to buy these trinkets?

Thanks for that, these anecdotes are always interesting.

There's a sh*tstorm coming, it's already in some of the data. To get an idea of scale you could think of the slowdown of 08 as mere foreplay.

I picked up 2 of the 30" Apple Monitors for cheap last year from a company going bankrupt.

I figured I would end up selling one but ended up keeping both. They're beautiful!

Has anyone else noticed an increasing number of "forced to sell" auctions on eBay?

I've been following several types of sports motorbike on ebay for a while. In the last couple weeks sales have almost completely dried up. Its starting to look a lot like the house market, lots of sellers refusing to budge on price because they paid x for it so surely it must be worth very close to x?? However, I have recently seen one or two recently who sounded like forced sellers and sliced a significant amount to achieve a sale.

The best bit about ebay is the "completed listings" option when searching. If you've never used it, it shows you what prices have been achieved recently on items you are searching for, colour coded green for sold and red for not. Use it for sports motorbikes at the moment and you'll see a sea of red prices - reserve not met or just no bids.

Edited by captain_mandrake

I started a small ISP on the dot com bubble fall out. Its always best to have a little cash put away. I bought servers, switches and routers from a number of casualties (including Enron I kid you not). I'm not fussy! :lol:

Edited by Sir John Steed

Is that like this:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M9179B/A

If so, not much of a discount for a 2.5 year old, out of warranty item.

Ebay amazes me, the number of people that pay more for 2nd hand goods for less than you can buy it new for is astounding. And the amount people get for holiday money that they sell justs beggars belief.

Feck me, they lost £250 off a £1200 display. And that's evidence of a financial collapse is it????

I picked upa Herman Miller "office" chair on eBay for about one third of its retail cost as London offices were being closed and high end furniture was being liquidated. Lots of it about.

BTW if you sit at your computer desk a lot it is worth invesing in one of these chairs--they retail for about £700 and they do wonders for your back--or rather do wonders in preventing back injuries from bad seating.