House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Breaking News Rbs To Cut 3500 Back Office And It Jobs

What part of the country?

Sorry - my firewall blocks the guardian.

Not clear yet. Likely to hit Edinburgh hard though.

Not nice.

The queues are already too big in Scotland. They'll be overflowing into Northumberland soon.

Bit more on the Beeb - business centres in England, plus some in Edin & Greenock.

RBS Jobs to go...

I wonder what the critera will be ?

For instance ...

Person A .. is young and very talented and presently underpaid. Rents ..

Person B .. is pretty much a useless timeserver overpaid for their skills. "Owns" their own house an owes RBS 1/4 Million ..

A friend who used to work for Natwest told me that they try and keep you with them on the basis of reduced interest rate mortgages so you can't afford to leave .. I wonder if RBS did the same thing ?

I wonder what the critera will be ?

For instance ...

Person A .. is young and very talented and presently underpaid. Rents ..

Person B .. is pretty much a useless timeserver overpaid for their skills. "Owns" their own house an owes RBS 1/4 Million ..

A friend who used to work for Natwest told me that they try and keep you with them on the basis of reduced interest rate mortgages so you can't afford to leave .. I wonder if RBS did the same thing ?

I used to work for RBS - yes.

Yet again the private sector cuts then talks about it, the public sector....just talks

Mike

They are talking, but have no doubt, its coming. Got quite a few friends who work for the Scottish Parliament and in the government building at Leith. They are shitting themselves. Voluntary redundancy on good terms has been offered, they've got a few weeks to decide and then its non VR.

I used to work for RBS - yes.

Union woman been on TV with the usual 'not in my back yard stuff' and to be honest all the real cuts do seem to be in the private sector with the Government super staff like the classroom manager for under-performing ethnic children and the bonfire of the Quangos that wouldn't light seem to be getting off scott free carrying on as normal.

But did we really expect anything else ?

Friend on my road has one of those reduced rate deals from his bank employer. He works for one of the rescued banks but cant remember it was RBS or Halifax. He set the record price (£560K) for the road, and that is for a converted council house with small garden and no garage. I've heard he is a bit stressed recently.

Rbs is effectively public sector.

Maybe in share ownership but the RBS staff do not enjoy the Public Sector benefits of gold plated pension entitlements, sick days, maternity pay team building days,enhanced redundancy etc etc

With 3500 moderately paid folks losing their jobs you can count on about 500 houses on the market as a result. :(

And this is just the beginning.

They

Shouldnt

Have

Borrwed

So

Much

Money

Then.

TOUGH SHIT.

Maybe in share ownership but the RBS staff do not enjoy the Public Sector benefits of gold plated pension entitlements, sick days, maternity pay team building days,enhanced redundancy etc etc

you forgot the </sarcasm> tags.

With 3500 moderately paid folks losing their jobs you can count on about 500 houses on the market as a result. :(

And this is just the beginning.

At first I thought you were being too gloomy, but actually I think the maths goes like this:

3500 fired, of which

2000 are home-owners, of which

1500 haven't paid off their mortgages yet, of which

1000 are essential to servicing the mortgage (ie spouse can't handle it alone), of which

500 don't get another job in time to save the house!

So 500 is a realistic number.

Union woman been on TV with the usual 'not in my back yard stuff' and to be honest all the real cuts do seem to be in the private sector with the Government super staff like the classroom manager for under-performing ethnic children and the bonfire of the Quangos that wouldn't light seem to be getting off scott free carrying on as normal.

But did we really expect anything else ?

Yep the Tories are already backing down on cutting any government jobs. It took them a bit to realize that their wives, cousins, in-laws, etc.. all were working in those needless positions they were threatening to cut.