House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Double Dip Cancelled Again As Things Cant Get Worse

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-01/economy-seen-avoiding-recession-relapse-as-u-s-data-can-t-get-much-worse.html

Economy Avoids Recession Relapse as Data Can't Get Much Worse
By Rich Miller and Simon Kennedy - Sep 2, 2010 12:21 AM GMT
Email Share Print
The U.S. economy is so bad that the chance of avoiding a double dip back into recession may actually be pretty good.
The sectors of the economy that traditionally drive it into recession are already so depressed it’s difficult to see them getting a lot worse, said Ethan Harris, head of developed markets economics research at BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research in New York. Inventories are near record lows in proportion to sales, residential construction is less than half the level of the housing boom and vehicle sales are more than 40 percent below five years ago.

Time to accept the inevitable double dip and end the denial.

The U.S. economy is so bad that the chance of avoiding a double dip back into recession may actually be pretty good.

I fail to understand the logic behind this. I was baffled when reading it on Bloomberg, and apparently I am not alone. Basically, every economic sector is at its nadir, and yet they are finding growth, so growth must continue? I understand that usually, recessions are driven by housing and car markets, because they can be volatile and overshadow the other sectors of the economy. Now that they have pretty much disappeared from the economy as a whole, according to this article, the logical conclusion should be that a possible next leg of recession won't come from them, but from other sectors that are usually not driving recession since housing and auto crash before, not that no recession can happen...

Am I missing something?

The perpetual growth machine.

Just what we all need.

Damn those pesky projections that showed continual perpetual growth to infinity, one starts to wonder if all of these projections have been done by charlatans rather than economic experts.

The patient is so ill that the chance of avoiding a relapse may actually be pretty good.

Same logic.