House Price Crash Forum

Went to view a house with the Mrs last week, a 4 bedroom detached house with nice size garden etc

The price was 225k. Now the wife knows my views on houseprices as I lurk on here most days but the property had been on a year so i thought if we really liked it I might put in an offer of say 185k for starters.

After we viewed the house (pleasantly surprised) i enquired if there was any room to negotiate. Certainly she said, we rejected 220k last year but could maybe meet me halfway on the remaining 5k.

I nearly fainted!

Are people really this crazy?

Went to view a house with the Mrs last week, a 4 bedroom detached house with nice size garden etc

The price was 225k. Now the wife knows my views on houseprices as I lurk on here most days but the property had been on a year so i thought if we really liked it I might put in an offer of say 185k for starters.

After we viewed the house (pleasantly surprised) i enquired if there was any room to negotiate. Certainly she said, we rejected 220k last year but could maybe meet me halfway on the remaining 5k.

I nearly fainted!

Yep.

I viewed back in feb been on te Market two years. Asking £165k I said it's too expensive and asked if there was any chance of getting a lower offer accepted he said yes the owner would take a lower offer.

So I offered £145k got laughed at by the agent and when he phoned back wad told the vendor wants at least £160k!

Yep.

I viewed back in feb been on te Market two years. Asking £165k I said it's too expensive and asked if there was any chance of getting a lower offer accepted he said yes the owner would take a lower offer.

So I offered £145k got laughed at by the agent and when he phoned back wad told the vendor wants at least £160k!

You should have countered with an offer of £125k.

I cant wait to get into the buying game!! My approach will be this

Look at about 10 properties - that have recently come on.

Find about 3 acceptable ones

Tell EA to call me when vendor will take 35% below their 2007. Explain that at THAT point I will accept offers on my place at 35% below 2007 value. Otherwise don't call me

If he doesn't call they are still selling for too much

Wait and repeat 3 months later.

Its a buyers market now - they need to learn that you will only put your house up for sale once you have had an offer accepted on something else.

Whats the worst that can happen? I can end up staying in my house which will be worth £££££££££££££BULLIONS££££££££££!!!!!

Edited by sbn

Is there any point asking a vendor if they are prepared to negotiate?

Often yes.

If they are prepared to tell you what they've rejected it gives you a good idea of how mad they are.

Let them wait to sell it at that.

I asked the EA at the viewing. If he had said no I would have ended the viewing there and gone home.

Lucky escape for me really!

Yes.

If they say no, you don't need to waste anymore face time on them.

I like this thread!

I am board of looking now and EA's soon give up when you dont buy anything.

I forgot to ask if they are willing to negotiate i just get board listening to the rubbish that comes out of the EA's mouth and go into GAGA land.

Often yes.

If they are prepared to tell you what they've rejected it gives you a good idea of how mad they are.

Let them wait to sell it at that.

They were Mewed up to £219,000 & can't afford losing face with a further drop?

There were SO many that chased the market down last time!

I cant wait to get into the buying game!! My approach will be this

Look at about 10 properties - that have recently come on.

Find about 3 acceptable ones

Tell EA to call me when vendor will take 35% below their 2007. Explain that at THAT point I will accept offers on my place at 35% below 2007 value. Otherwise don't call me

If he doesn't call they are still selling for too much

Wait and repeat 3 months later.

Its a buyers market now - they need to learn that you will only put your house up for sale once you have had an offer accepted on something else.

Why dont you just offer full price then reduce it prior to completion

I wonder if prices will be be affordable is this country.

So much ramping and slow progression.

I wonder if we will ever see -2% per month cuts that frighten people into selling at a reduced / realistic price.

I nearly fainted!

Not another one !!!!!

First rule of buying a house...dont believe a word the estatew agent says.

Decide what you think it is worth and make an offer based on that.

Dont be swayed by some lying coniving desperate E.A. hell bent on getting a bigger comission.

!!! WAKE UP !!!!

Until the average house price is down to about 3.5 times the average salary then as far as i'm concerned they're still overpriced.

I can't believe the prices people have paid and in some cases are still paying for property.

Is this some sort of mass insanity? Nurse! Bring out the generator and electrodes!!!

1% discount - and you didn't snap their hands off? :lol:

The problem is I don't think most sellers see it in terms of percentages and the pathetic discount they are prepared to give. They ignore the big number and just see the difference in terms of thousands of pounds that you are cheekily asking for off.

That and of course they may not have any room to maneuver on the small amount of equity that they think they have. They will probably end up regretting not taking that earlier offer of a mere 2% off.

I love the way people on this Island talk about the recovery as if it was a living person.

We must not upset the recovery lol.

I agree with the earlier post and im glad i read this as its reminded me to stick to my guns.

Shove your F'ing overprices houses up your oversized booty

A friend of mine just sold his nasty ex-council mid-terraced shoe box for £220,000 which was the full asking price so he was extremely happy.

The buyer initially put in an offer of £215,00 which he rejected as it was marketted for offers in excess of £220,000.

It all depends on where abouts in the country you are in I guess.

just to add my two pennorth. I am a cash buyer - no chain so expect but do not get 'respect' from EAs

offered on a house that needed a bit doing to it but suited me and offered - minus 10% - Ea wittered on about other interested viewers etc.

My response - I leave the offer with you for 2 weeks - meanwhile I am looking at other houses so it may be withdrawn at any time.

They are a bunch of truth benders who I suppose justify what they do to get the best price for their clients, :o

1% discount - and you didn't snap their hands off? :lol:

The problem is I don't think most sellers see it in terms of percentages and the pathetic discount they are prepared to give. They ignore the big number and just see the difference in terms of thousands of pounds that you are cheekily asking for off.

Yep, that £1000 you want knocking off the vastly inflated price of their house isn't part of the process of negotiation, it's a new sofa.

Every grand you want off is pushing the dream of doing out the new house with a new IKEA kitchen further and further away.

You meanies. You dreadful meanies. :lol:

Best reply I've had to this question was: "Yes. If they receive full asking price they're prepared to throw in the Ikea bookcases and might consider the fridge". :lol:

A friend of mine just sold his nasty ex-council mid-terraced shoe box for £220,000 which was the full asking price so he was extremely happy.

I'm sure he was.

Death throes.

Let's hope he doesn't ruin his great good fortune by buying another overpriced dump.

Not another one !!!!!

First rule of buying a house...dont believe a word the estatew agent says.

Decide what you think it is worth and make an offer based on that.

Dont be swayed by some lying coniving desperate E.A. hell bent on getting a bigger comission.

!!! WAKE UP !!!!

What's the EA got to do with this? This is what the person selling the house said to me.