House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

V Or W Shaped Society?

Something I read somewhere written by somebody Japanese was that society is increasingly becoming polarised between haves and have nots so while we had a bell shaped distribution of wealth today we are now getting a V shape or was it W shaped.

I forget but it essentially said that there are the poor and the uber wealthy.

I can't remember what this was properly called or as to who wrote it any ideas?

Thanks

Something I read somewhere written by somebody Japanese was that society is increasingly becoming polarised between haves and have nots so while we had a bell shaped distribution of wealth today we are now getting a V shape or was it W shaped.

I forget but it essentially said that there are the poor and the uber wealthy.

I can't remember what this was properly called or as to who wrote it any ideas?

Thanks

The distribution of earnings is positively skewed if thats any good to you. skewedpose1.jpg

The distribution of earnings is positively skewed if thats any good to you. skewedpose1.jpg

Nah it wasn't that it was something controversial whereby the bell curveish was no longer relevant and it became inverted.

Nah it wasn't that it was something controversial whereby the bell curveish was no longer relevant and it became inverted.

That is what a bell curve looks like when its 'inverted', or at least heavily skewed. You've got frequency on the Y-axis and magnitude (pay) on the X-axis. The most commonly earned amount is lower than the median. Turn it through -90 degrees if that helps, look how it tapers to a needle point at the top of the 'pyramid'. Half the population is in the '****', the other half is in the 'scrotum' of poverty.

That is what a bell curve looks like when its 'inverted', or at least heavily skewed. You've got frequency on the Y-axis and magnitude (pay) on the X-axis. The most commonly earned amount is lower than the median. Turn it through -90 degrees if that helps, look how it tapers to a needle point at the top of the 'pyramid'. Half the population is in the '****', the other half is in the 'scrotum' of poverty.

I think what he is suggesting is that there are 2 bell curves overlaid, with a double peak, 1 for people earning almost sod all, then a wealth gap in the middle, followed by a second peak of more wealthy.

For those with an interest in this type of thing, check out the Gini Coefficients.

I think what he is suggesting is that there are 2 bell curves overlaid, with a double peak, 1 for people earning almost sod all, then a wealth gap in the middle, followed by a second peak of more wealthy.

For those with an interest in this type of thing, check out the Gini Coefficients.

Yeah thats the one

I think I can see what you mean, like a MTTF bath tub curve. The poor at one end, the rich at the other and no middle class to speak of. If we're going all alphabetical I visualise a M looking of spread.

Bimodal distribution then.

Pedants corner says: a bimodal distribution then.