House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drinking At 16

Legally, I mean.

It's legal to buy cider or beer for or by a 16/17 year old in a restaurant if they are drinking it with a meal. Has anyone ever done it or seen it? Was there any argument from the staff?

Legally, I mean.

It's legal to buy cider or beer for or by a 16/17 year old in a restaurant if they are drinking it with a meal. Has anyone ever done it or seen it? Was there any argument from the staff?

Not exactly the same, but isn't there a pub at Eton for the 6th formers? I suppose that's a private pub.

Sure in the indian place I washed dishes a while ago, parents would order and simply give it to their children no matter how young or old they looked.

If the waiters did or said anything about it they would recieve a tirade of abuse and thus they worked it out as being we are selling it to the parents. Once it leaves our hands it becomes the responsibility of the parent and it is their actions not ours.

I thought it was legal for a 16-year old to buy booze with a meal in a restaurant?

We used to go to curry houses when we were 16 for that very reason.

I don't think the police are ever going to get excited about 14 year olds quietly drinking a glass of wine with their prawn biryani.

Always used to do it as a kid.

We also had a 'club' at school for booze - a bit like eton - not sure what the rules were though...

I thought it was legal for a 16-year old to buy booze with a meal in a restaurant?

We used to go to curry houses when we were 16 for that very reason.

I don't think the police are ever going to get excited about 14 year olds quietly drinking a glass of wine with their prawn biryani.

Checked it. It's legal if a person over 18 orders it for them, someone over is 18 is with them while they're drinking it and if they are drinking it with a meal. It doesn't appear to be legal for the under 18 year old to order it. It's a defence to the offence of buying alcohol on behalf of someone under 18 and supplying it to them.

Also applies to wine, which is new on me.

My children, aged 11 and 14, are allowed to drink wine with meals and the odd beer. Neither of them has ever got past about quarter of a pint of Stella or half a glass of wine before choosing to stop. I firmly believe that this will help them to grow up able to handle alcohol without becoming alcoholics.

My children, aged 11 and 14, are allowed to drink wine with meals and the odd beer. Neither of them has ever got past about quarter of a pint of Stella or half a glass of wine before choosing to stop. I firmly believe that this will help them to grow up able to handle alcohol without becoming alcoholics.

I think it doesn't matter, it's between 16 and 20 when they'll form their drinking habits, and a lot of it is genetic anyway. You'll find alcoholics who never touched a drop before they were 30, alcoholics who started responsibly with parents, etc etc.

I think it doesn't matter, it's between 16 and 20 when they'll form their drinking habits, and a lot of it is genetic anyway. You'll find alcoholics who never touched a drop before they were 30, alcoholics who started responsibly with parents, etc etc.

my mother tasted her first drop of alcohol at the age of 42. By the age of 50 she had become a total alcoholic drinking three bottles of whisky each day. Her mother was an alcoholic which is why she had never touched a drop until the age of 42. Her mothers mothers was also an alcoholic so it might be genetic

This confirms what I'd already heard:

The legal age to purchase alcohol is 18. People aged 16 and 17, with the licensee's permission, may consume only 1 glass of wine, beer or cider with a table meal in specific areas of the premises, providing they're with an adult and the adult orders it (England & Wales only, Scotland no adult required to be present).

It is illegal to sell alcohol to someone who already appears drunk :lol: . You may not buy alcohol for a drunk person on licensed premises :lol::lol: . All off-sales are advised to ask for photographic ID if the person looks under 21. Purchasing alcohol on behalf of a minor will result in an £80 on-the-spot fine.

Fourteen-year-olds may enter a pub unaccompanied by an adult if they order a meal. Children may enter a pub with their parents until 9 p.m., which lets families enjoy reasonably priced pub meals together, and allows pubs to continue in their traditional roles as community centres.

Legal age for drinking alcohol at home

The legal age for drinking in one's home is 5 provided parental consent is given. Children under 5 must not be given alcohol unless under medical supervision in an emergency.

If I understand the above correctly a 16-year-old in Scotland could legally order alcohol with a meal (e.g. deep-fried Mars Bar) at the discretion of the licensee.

Is there any legal basis for a pub declaring itself 'Over 21s only'? I remember when pubs in Kent used to do this when I was a teenager there. They normally did this after several months of tolerating not-too-subtle but well behaved, under-age drinking on their premises.

my mother tasted her first drop of alcohol at the age of 42. By the age of 50 she had become a total alcoholic drinking three bottles of whisky each day. Her mother was an alcoholic which is why she had never touched a drop until the age of 42. Her mothers mothers was also an alcoholic so it might be genetic

I'm convinced it's genetic; in fact, I don't think there is any scientific doubt about it. The problem is that it seems that it's the case that different racial/ethnic groups are more or less susceptible than others which is why no one dares discuss it. There is little doubt that Australian aborigionals are highly susceptable alcoholism as well as native Americans. I remeber seeing a programme about genetics and they did an experiment with drink and different people. Chinese people were getting slaughtered on far less alcohol than most others, for instance.

Is there any legal basis for a pub declaring itself 'Over 21s only'? I remember when pubs in Kent used to do this when I was a teenager there. They normally did this after several months of tolerating not-too-subtle but well behaved, under-age drinking on their premises.

Yes, a pub landlord can decide who he wants on his premisis and need not give any reason. He couldn't post a sign saying "No Blacks" as that is prohibited by statute but an age related thing isn't a problem. It's up to the management as it's their business.