House Price Crash Forum
Qetesuesi

Why Our Jobs Are Getting Worse

Was watching an old costume drama on the telly last night set in the 30's or there abouts. This guy did some work for a woman on her farm and asked to be paid.

She shouted at him paid , you have had a hot meal and you ask to be paid , that is like begging that is now be off with you or I will set the dogs on you. I wonder how long it will be before we get back to those times.

All very true and has been for a long time, that it's got so much worse it now seems like a new event again is a bit worrying though.

I found work to be like this a lot of years ago and got trained into medicine, working for the NHS has become like that, not just with targets but in clinical decision making being "evidence based", in theory a good idea but in practice it is often the case that there is no evidence for what you know works and this weeks 1 paper wonder cure is last weeks poison is next weeks wonder cure etc. Like the day we turned up and found all our antiseptics missing because "infection control" had glanced over the place and deemed the delivery methods a cross infection risk. FFS!!! Yes, maybe they are, but not as much of a risk as having no ******ing topical antiseptics in a hospital, simple one stage thinking only, no insight or deep thought applied, no weighing things up, we now follow what the computer says blindly, or the over simplistic piece of research that looks at only one side of the coin. We now no longer seem to trust ourselves to do the working out.

I have since left the NHS and am merrily in private practice where i can be my own boss, my skills are appreciated as i am fully able to use them and i am unencumbered by the latest trend in ******ing up my ability to practice as i best know how. Medicine is an art as much as a science which needs to be remembered. You can not medicine by computer as a computer will never possess human artistry.

In the USSR and Russian the word for work is "Robota."

Draw your own conclusions.

I don't draw conclusions. I tell you, as a matter of historical record, that we got the word "robot" from the Czech work for "worker", which is very similar to the Russian word - it was first used (c. 1920) in the "machine for working" sense in the play "RUR" (Rossum's Universal Robots) by Karel Čapek.

Oh, and the USSR is no longer in existence as a political entity, and never was a language.

db

This is a revealing bit of wishful thinking from the supposed management gurus:

"It's that management thinkers such as Tom Peters and Charles Handy have spent decades telling us that the workplace of the future is a shiny, hi-tech grotto where people are free to exercise initiative and innovate. Yet the reality is that innovation is imposed on staff and where initiative is encouraged it's within heavily circumscribed borders. "

There is a life-cycle of a firm - from entrepreneurial start-up through to highly systemised and automated bureaucracy. The different stages require different people and talents. Make sure you work in a place that fits your talents and expectations of work. Whingeing about a corporate system or complaining of being over-qualified to follow a process doesn't really cut it: if you're so great start your own business.

This is a revealing bit of wishful thinking from the supposed management gurus:

"It's that management thinkers such as Tom Peters and Charles Handy have spent decades telling us that the workplace of the future is a shiny, hi-tech grotto where people are free to exercise initiative and innovate. Yet the reality is that innovation is imposed on staff and where initiative is encouraged it's within heavily circumscribed borders. "

There is a life-cycle of a firm - from entrepreneurial start-up through to highly systemised and automated bureaucracy.  The different stages require different people and talents.  Make sure you work in a place that fits your talents and expectations of work.  Whingeing about a corporate system or complaining of being over-qualified to follow a process doesn't really cut it: if you're so great start your own business.

Its a bit more serious than that. The more work gets systematised, the less cover you have from 'globalisation'. When it was the semi-skilled getting shafted, nobody gave a damn, but now they're coming from the middle-class and so the squeaking begins. The examples given are the law, IT, financial services and clinical services, all of which have a going rate globally of about 6k a year now. Process is just the thin end of the wedge. People do whinge about it quite a lot, particularly as they know it makes the company less innovative and efficient. But then such people tend to be very naive and don't understand that things like innovation, efficiency and hard work aren't very relevant these days, the main thing is to find ways to offshore as much as possible and take the generous bonus. The other thing about standardisation is that it pulls the ladder up. Work is increasingly designed so that anyone can do anything for the minimum wage. Two implications; 1. there is no need to promote anyone, 2. the job is so denatured you have no transferable skills from doing it. The obvious example is that working in a burger restaurant teaches you nothing about cooking, just operating their special machinery with their supplied products. You can leave, but you can't set up for yourself, you know next to nothing about the industry you work in. This will get more serious as it goes on.

I'm not sure that jobs are getting worse!

Maybe it's bad working for the Guardian?

I think a lot of people havent realised, especially those making the comments, are that people do dumb or inappropriate things. Which bosses, then think "OMG they are doing that? We'll have to make a rule about that."

Take a trivial example, setting up e-mail and sending someone a quote.

The MD and I, found that of 4 sales people each one had their e-mail signature configured in a different way often missing off vital information, for instance phone number, company logo resized wrongly or in the wrong place.

Each sales person then had a different way of sending the quote, one would attach a word document, another would paste the quote into the body of the e-mail. Another would take the customers e-mail and manually type the prices in between the customers requirements. A fourth one decided he quite liked his writing in e-mails to be in purple so he had changed his standard font colour to that.

These are the sort of reasons that business have strict polices on all sorts of quite trivial things. Because people cannot be trusted to present things in a professional manner, or in other words to think for themselves.

In other areas, I have often found older people, in their 40s say with a lot of experience. Will argue that they have been doing this 20 year and they know best. Despite the guy who actually does the job in the factory telling him he is wrong. Strangely two different people in the same job, both with lots of experience in the industry both thought it should be done a different way. Both wouldnt work.

So companies standardize, they take away the decisions to give consistency. They implement computer systems that give the right answer every time. By right I mean accepted by management.

This also gives companies flexibility. You get a situation where the guy whos been doing this 30 years cant blackmail the company, as finding someone to replace him as very difficult. But if you "train" a computer system to know how to do this work, an 18 year old off the street can punch the numbers in and get the correct answer with little training or understanding of the concepts.

I don't remember font colour being in Maslow's hierarchy of needs. :huh:

Jeez, is that really an example of how office workers assert their individuality these days?

To all those who seek meaning and self-actualisation through their work, unless you are adding a great deal of value to the expensive seat you occupy, there will be someone out there willing to do the same job for much more mundane reasons e.g. they are hungry. People forget what went into setting up the companies in the first place to get to the point where they can provide jobs which, while sometimes unfulfilling, are very low risk and pay for a decent, if not spectacular, quality of life.

Jeez, is that really an example of how office workers assert their individuality these days?

To all those who seek meaning and self-actualisation through their work, unless you are adding a great deal of value to the expensive seat you occupy, there will be someone out there willing to do the same job for much more mundane reasons e.g. they are hungry. People forget what went into setting up the companies in the first place to get to the point where they can provide jobs which, while sometimes unfulfilling, are very low risk and pay for a decent, if not spectacular, quality of life.

Oh yes. They change fonts in emails, background colour in email. All sorts.

Oh yes. They change fonts in emails, background colour in email. All sorts.

I regularly get emails from a health-care professional with butterflies as a background ffs.

I think a lot of people havent realised, especially those making the comments, are that people do dumb or inappropriate things. Which bosses, then think "OMG they are doing that? We'll have to make a rule about that."

The MD and I, found that of 4 sales people each one had their e-mail signature configured in a different way often missing off vital information, for instance phone number, company logo resized wrongly or in the wrong place.

Each sales person then had a different way of sending the quote, one would attach a word document, another would paste the quote into the body of the e-mail. Another would take the customers e-mail and manually type the prices in between the customers requirements. A fourth one decided he quite liked his writing in e-mails to be in purple so he had changed his standard font colour to that.

These are the sort of reasons that business have strict polices on all sorts of quite trivial things. Because people cannot be trusted to present things in a professional manner, or in other words to think for themselves.

In other areas, I have often found older people, in their 40s say with a lot of experience. Will argue that they have been doing this 20 year and they know best. Despite the guy who actually does the job in the factory telling him he is wrong. Strangely two different people in the same job, both with lots of experience in the industry both thought it should be done a different way. Both wouldnt work.

So companies standardize, they take away the decisions to give consistency. They implement computer systems that give the right answer every time. By right I mean accepted by management.

This also gives companies flexibility. You get a situation where the guy whos been doing this 30 years cant blackmail the company, as finding someone to replace him as very difficult. But if you "train" a computer system to know how to do this work, an 18 year old off the street can punch the numbers in and get the correct answer with little training or understanding of the concepts.

===========================

If your salespeople are are leaving out essential info like phone numbers on official correspondence then I'd be taking that issue up with the clowns who decided to employ them in the first place. Maybe you need to review your screening procedures and and training entitlements for your salespeople?

But on the issue of using coloured font, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest unless the salesperson in question was delivering poor work performance overall and clients were complaining about te use of colour. It's just a small attempt at personalising his communications by the looks of it.

Oh, and the USSR is no longer in existence as a political entity, and never was a language.

db

It does, 1989 and 1990 the USSR did not fall, instead they rebranded it to the EU and the USSA. Same command economy methods, same fraudulent tractor production statistics, same state backed enterprises. Same murdering of their own citizens etc. Same inner party and outer party and proles. Same pointless wars patrotism cards played and workers turned to mere cogs...

Rebranding and painting it a different colour does not make it any different, which is why I find it amusing people go labour/tory when both are just opposite sides of the same coin.

So really other than a fake election every few years what's the difference?

It does, 1989 and 1990 the USSR did not fall, instead they rebranded it to the EU and the USSA. Same command economy methods, same fraudulent tractor production statistics, same state backed enterprises. Same murdering of their own citizens etc. Same inner party and outer party and proles. Same pointless wars patrotism cards played and workers turned to mere cogs...

Rebranding and painting it a different colour does not make it any different, which is why I find it amusing people go labour/tory when both are just opposite sides of the same coin.

So really other than a fake election every few years what's the difference?

No one is more of a slave than the one, who considers himself to be free, without being it.

I regularly get emails from a health-care professional with butterflies as a background ffs.

My brother in law who is an accountant does that as well with cutie emoticons too. Glad he isn't my accountant! Never had emails from any organisations in purple font though. I just think JS picks poor staff, or they deliberately set out to p*ss him off! :lol:

Working for other people is bad for you. If you don't like it get out and cut out the middleman (your employer). Been living on my wits now for six years!

The problem with deskilling is it leads to a strengthening of monopoly capital, thus reducing the opportunity for people to start businesses and increasing the rate at which corporations will become reliant on manipulating state spending in the absence of consumption. It isn't something to be relaxed about and the problem is not that you find your work unfulfilling. You're missing the point. A secure, reasonably well paid but very boring job won't be on offer. Why on earth should it be, what possible motivation would any business have for being so generous?

Edited by Cogs

===========================

If your salespeople are are leaving out essential info like phone numbers on official correspondence then I'd be taking that issue up with the clowns who decided to employ them in the first place. Maybe you need to review your screening procedures and and training entitlements for your salespeople?

But on the issue of using coloured font, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest unless the salesperson in question was delivering poor work performance overall and clients were complaining about te use of colour. It's just a small attempt at personalising his communications by the looks of it.

But the question was, why do people have less and less freedom at work to make decisions. The answer is because they make wrong decisions.

The e-mail example was a trivial example, but this is why companies have very tight policies defining exactly what must be done and leaving no scope for purple fonts. :)

If you run MS exchange there is a cheap bit of software called Exclaimer which sits on the server and attaches sigs on the way out based on customisable rules. It will draw info from Active Directory and place it in the sig with formating (if you send html of course). Cuts out tons of headache.

(not affiliated with exclaimer, just have used it everywhere I have ever worked)

But the question was, why do people have less and less freedom at work to make decisions. The answer is because they make wrong decisions.

The e-mail example was a trivial example, but this is why companies have very tight policies defining exactly what must be done and leaving no scope for purple fonts. :)

It's also why you get wacky by-laws like no shearing of sheep on the river bank before 7am on easter sunday or whatever, because at some point in the past some wazzack must have done it often enough to piss people off to the point where thry went and complained about it

I also hate emails with more header and footer boilerplate than actual message

Small_daisy.gifdaisy.gifSmall_daisy.gifdaisy.gifSmall_daisy.gifdaisy.gifSmall_daisy.gifdaisy.gif

This message was sent in accordance with the rules and regulations of the noodle doodle corporation message producing system version 1.0

1. All copyright remains with noodle doodle.

2. noodle doodle cannot be held responsible for the contents of this message

3. noodle doodle cannot be held responsible for any actions resulting from taking advice contained in this message

4. noodle doodle corp releases this message under the gnu public licence v 2.3

It's also why you get wacky by-laws like no shearing of sheep on the river bank before 7am on easter sunday or whatever, because at some point in the past some wazzack must have done it often enough to piss people off to the point where thry went and complained about it

I also hate emails with more header and footer boilerplate than actual message

Small_daisy.gifdaisy.gifSmall_daisy.gifdaisy.gifSmall_daisy.gifdaisy.gifSmall_daisy.gifdaisy.gif

This message was sent in accordance with the rules and regulations of the noodle doodle corporation message producing system version 1.0

1. All copyright remains with noodle doodle.

2. noodle doodle cannot be held responsible for the contents of this message

3. noodle doodle cannot be held responsible for any actions resulting from taking advice contained in this message

4. noodle doodle corp releases this message under the gnu public licence v 2.3

To be fair, most footers are added automatically (Exchange Server has this facility I think). What I find sad is when people add the boiler plate themselves in an attempt to make their communications seem more impressive.

The problem with deskilling is it leads to a strengthening of monopoly capital, thus reducing the opportunity for people to start businesses and increasing the rate at which corporations will become reliant on manipulating state spending in the absence of consumption. It isn't something to be relaxed about and the problem is not that you find your work unfulfilling. You're missing the point. A secure, reasonably well paid but very boring job won't be on offer. Why on earth should it be, what possible motivation would any business have for being so generous?

Exactly! That's why people in this position really shouldn't be complaining - the alternatives are so much tougher.

(You seem to be reading my posts through your own filter which has nothing to do with what I actually wrote.)

I remember wistfully the days of having to take one's carefully crafted memo to Joyce in the Chief Exec's office for typing.

3 days later (unless there was a flap on in which case it could be longer) she'd return it for you to correct grammar and punctuation errors and decide perhaps you may wish to edit it for clarity.

Thence, back off to Joyce for it's second iteration.

Bill f*cking Gates ruined my life (and Joyce's).